The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi From a First-Timer in the Olds World and a Big 98 Fan

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Captain of my ship

As far as the continental kit goes it is entirely up to you what you want to do. To put a real kit on it will cost quite a bit and you will need to extend the rear bumper , add the new rear deck to accomodate it and paint it to match the car. Where is you gas filler tube? Is it in the rear or on the side. Even to open the trunk and get into it you need a way to keep the kit out of the way. The one that was installed on my car by the previous owner flips down so I can get into the trunk but filling the tank at the rear is a pain. Plus it does not actually store a tire so it's just there for looks.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Captain of my ship

Here is a pic of my car with the fake conti kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
022.jpg (88.7 KB, 11 views)
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM

That is sharp looking on that car!
However, I was thinking that since mine is an early 60's car I would need the real one with the extended bumper to really do it justice. If it's going to cost a lot, then I guess I'm going to have to wait . Oh well, at least its something to think about...
The brake booster is the first order of business anyway. I just took it off the car (NOT fun, I stripped the nut on the brake line that goes to the master cylinder, which is a shame because everything else went without any damage) and mailed it out on Thursday to be rebuilt. I'm hoping to get it back in a week or two and get in some nice driving before the winter comes.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:25 PM

'64 Olds

Nice looking 98, I especially like the black with red interior on those cars.

As to the often talked about slim-jim, my first '64 Olds (Dynamic 88) was purchased in 1971 for $60.00 (no, that is not a misprint). I beat on the transmission fairly unmercifully at times doing burnouts and in 1-1/2 years, it never quit, died, or blew up. I was probably lucky, and do not beat on the one in my '64 Starfire now. That is most likely due to the fact that I am now an old fart plus I have a lot more invested in the Starfire than $60.

The slim-jim does respond well to proper adjustment of the mechanical linkages, as is mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I never touched the adjustment on the first '64, but have been through the procedure from A to Z on the Starfire and it has made quite a difference in driveability and shift points.

There were many upgrades to the Roto-Hydramatic between '61 and '64 resulting in a better, but not great, transmission before it was replaced with the Turbo-hydramatic in 1965. Enough about that transmission in this thread.

Welcome to the forum and hope to hear more about your experiences with the 98 !
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the reassuring words.
Anyway, your story reminds me of my favorite math teacher who told me about his American-Graffitiesque youth...back in the '60s he had a crusty old 1949 Olds 88 with the old original steel 4 sp. Hyramatic that someone had dumped a really souped up 394 into (the 394 had 'three-deuces') making it the biggest sleeper in town...it wasn't running right when he bought it, so my math teacher paid $120.00 for it and limped it home...happened to be absentmindedly playing with the distributor rotor as he was trying to diagnose the engine problem and noticed the little brass piece was loose. He had to drive 40 miles (out in the colorado mountians) to get the replacement piece. When he did get it, he installed it, turned the car on and revved it, then dumped it into drive from Park, and he said he dug a 150 foot by 4" deep trench in his dirt driveway from the burnout. On another account he had a race with his friends who had a buick wildcat, a chevy impala, and a souped up ford truck. The truck was in front and going 130 miles per hour on a long straight road when my teacher with the olds passed him like he was standing still...his speedo was broken so he didn't know until later that he was probably going 150+ (and the engine had more, he said).
Yeah, my teacher says he's lucky he lived through his youth. Anyway I'd be lying if I told you his stories had nothing do with wanting an olds 394. Fortunately I'm pretty cautious so I wouldn't try any of that crazy-*** stuff. Cool to dream about sometimes though!
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Anyway my latest problem...
When I bought the olds last weekend the motor ran like a top, but it was running rich and the guy said the timing might be a little off. I came home from school and had nothing to do, so of course I (overjudging my mechanical ability in spades like usual) tried to adjust the timing and the carb with the result that it now runs like crap and sounds really weird...but at least it's running leaner!
Anyway I can laugh (kinda) because my mechanic is coming in a week or so to help install the booster and double check my brake system, and he'll get the motor running better than a top, and it's not like I'm driving it right now anyway sans brakes...
Oh well, I'm learning!
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Captain of my ship

gee just think there is a manifold with the 3 carbs on it for sale right now on Ebay
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
gee just think there is a manifold with the 3 carbs on it for sale right now on Ebay
For the olds 394??!!
Sweet!
I can't afford that now (and it's not like the 394 with 4bbl. is any slouch) but knowing that this stuff is at least still existant makes me feel good!
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Captain of my ship

I saw a manifold with all 3 carbs on it for sale on ebay just today.
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Captain of my ship

it's there and if you want it later on you should be able to find it , for now I would worry about enjoying your car while the weather is still ok
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dean O' Banion
Hello, all!

As an introduction I enjoy most all things antique *especially* big old Oldsmobiles...the Ninety-Eight is my favorite car of all time. I'm set up to buy one pretty soon, a 1964 two-door with no rust and 40K miles. The one reservation I have is about the transmission...I've heard mixed reviews on the Slim-Jim, but the one on this car was rebuilt recently and drove fine when I test drove it, my dad also test drove and didn't percieve any problems, and the owner remarked on the smoothness of the ride as well. A couple of freinds have early '60s oldsmobiles with the same transmissions (and F85 equivalents) and none have ever had problems.

My verdict is that if the transmission is basically new and works well now and I take good care of it, I should be all set. However, if this transmission (even in good shape) is a severe reason not to buy a car, I may have to painfully reconsider. The car is going for 3200 and is all original, in good shape (with some good new parts like exhaust and carburetor and some hoses/brake lines), the engine runs great, and there is absolutely no rust at all. I'm pretty excited about the car of my dreams and I'm thinking I'll go for it, and any wise input on the subject would be appreciated.

In any case, I'm glad to be a part of the Olds community and look forward to learning a lot while I'm here and enjoying the company of like minds.

-Mack
I had two a 1971 98 ls my favorite car and 76 regency both four doors. With road ripping rocket 455 4bbl's in them wish I had them back.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM

That is good that a friend will help you tune up your car soon. Let us know how it goes.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM

tuning

[quote=Dean O' Banion;117020]Anyway my latest problem...
When I bought the olds last weekend the motor ran like a top, but it was running rich and the guy said the timing might be a little off. I came home from school and had nothing to do, so of course I (overjudging my mechanical ability in spades like usual) tried to adjust the timing and the carb with the result that it now runs like crap and sounds really weird...but at least it's running leaner! ]

It will benefit you in the long run to buy a decent timing light. I borrowed them in the beginning, but decided I really needed to own one ... now I own three. They aren't expensive if you shop around. The 394 is a bit tricky in that the specs call for 5 degrees BTC at 800 rpm and that engine likes to idle at 550-600rpm. So you actually have to increase the engine speed above idle to correctly set the timing. ( Don't forget to disconnect and plug the vacuum line going to the distributor when setting timing. )

As to setting idle mixture, I prefer to use a vacuum gauge and adjust for best/highest vacuum reading. If you develop some off-idle bogging, or a 'hole', turn the idle mixture screws back in a 1/4 turn at a time to see if this doesn't help. The actual off idle air/fuel mixture is not externally adjustable - but that gets into a whole 'nother discussion of jet sizes and orifices.

The factory Rochester 4GC is a pretty good carb if you are skilled at setting the floats, and tweaking the secondary auxiliary throttle valve. That's another thread ...

Stick with it on learning to work on your Olds 394 - it will pay off bigtime in the long run.

Last edited by Oldsmobomb; October 19th, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Anyway I just luckily undid the damage I did. I mentioned my problem briefly to my uncle, an established hot-rod guy from the 70's (he once owned a real-deal PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD in the 70's and sold it when he found out it had a slightly bent frame... if only he could have seen the future) and he said I just used the wrong screws...Being used to an old v-dub (the only car I've ever worked on before) I tuned using two screws which I thought were fuel and air ratio screws. They were actually two basic mixture screws, one for each bank of the carb. Luckily, I only messed with these two screws so I just cranked them all the way down and backed them both off equally three turns, and now its running as well as when I bought it. Whew!
I'd still like to have my mechanic guy check it and he can probably get it to peak perfect performance, the guy's a genius and I'm blessed to know him. He's a freelance mechanic that's my mother's best friend's brother, he does top-notch work, is very honest, and has very, very reasonable rates. Mechanics like him seem to be in very short supply these days.
Anyway, I agree with the idea that I should just concentrate on fixing the brakes so I can get some pleasant driving in before the salt and snow set in. As long as I can always get the "three deuces" in the future I'm all set. I just like to think about it. Anyway my 394 had 330HP stock...with dual exhaust and high-flow mufflers and a high performance carb I'm guessing 350HP. With three two barrels and a new cam, who knows...close to 400?
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Oldsmobomb, I just saw your latest reply:
I do have a timing light, a pretty nice craftsman that I got for christmas last year. I did set it at 5 degrees at 850 RPM at first, but when I went back just now and fixed the carb setting I timed it "by ear" after I lowered the idle slightly. My uncle suggested something about setting it to just where it just knocks going uphill, then set it back just a little bit...said he did this because he lived right on the top of a really steep hill and it worked well for him.
Oh well, it's something I can tweak and play with until I like it. I'm having fun and loving the car already and I haven't even really gotten to drive it yet. I look forward to getting to know that 394 and I'm sure it will pay off big time!
Anyway I'd like to see that '64 Starfire of yours, I really like the early 60's Starfires...kinda like all the vastness and classiness of a Ninety-Eight with the sportiness of a high-performance engine and a console-shifter and a tachometer. Cool! I always liked the early Chysler 300's as well, kind of the same idea.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM

welsome

dean welcome in case you have not seen it this looks right up your alley
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ale-cheap.html
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Out of all the threads of all the Oldsmobile forums of all the world, she walks into mine...
Somebody had to bring that up!
At the beginning of the summer I went to test drive a 1966 Olds 98 that turned out to be MINT for $1450. It was love at first sight...everything on that car was pristine, I can't even give you the right idea. I got a 20 minute test drive in which I was introduced to the wonderul world of "Superdrive" (going from 25 to 70 on a narrow back road without even trying was at once really scary and really amazing, I'm new to this stuff). Anyway, it was on a sunday and I told the guy I'd be back with the money and my dad to double check everything on Thursday, which happened to be my birthday. It turns out he sold it to somebody else the evening before the morning I was to buy it, sold right out from under me! Adding insult to injury, the guy who bought it ripped the engine and a couple other things out and was parting the rest out on craigslist days later...
Oh well, all'd well that ends well. I bought my '64 last weekend for 3K and that's nothing to complain about. The 394 may not be a 425, but it's still no joke. Also, I like the '64 body style better anyway, more classic looking. Just thought I'd get that off my chest.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dean O' Banion
Anyway I'd like to see that '64 Starfire of yours, I really like the early 60's Starfires...kinda like all the vastness and classiness of a Ninety-Eight with the sportiness of a high-performance engine and a console-shifter and a tachometer. Cool! I always liked the early Chysler 300's as well, kind of the same idea.

PM me with your email address and I will send you pics of the Starfire.