The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi, this is my 72 442 I traded my 79 T/A for last friday.

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM

You traded a T/A for that!! Nice trade. but I am biased. The one great thing about the above guy's "critiquing" your car is the knowledge we all learn. It is amazing the details some members have uncovered and shared. I like the factory look. As stated, beautiful car, enjoy!

Mike
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Nice car and unique angles.......

I would love a few of those for possible calendar shots......

BIGJP455@msn.com or OldsmobileCalendar@hotmail.com
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Nice car and unique angles.......

I would love a few of those for possible calendar shots......

BIGJP455@msn.com or OldsmobileCalendar@hotmail.com
Take what ever shot you like.
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Here's a pic of the 79 T/A I even traded for. The car was very nice, and the same color combo. I must say I like the olds better.
memorialpark1.jpg
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:11 PM

beautiful pics!
Old October 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by dewcrazzy
Take what ever shot you like.

If you have them full rez it would be better,Sometimes hosting saves them with a lower rez and they wont reprint very well.......Ill scop them out!
Old October 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
If you have them full rez it would be better,Sometimes hosting saves them with a lower rez and they wont reprint very well.......Ill scop them out!
pull them right from the site.
http://s534.photobucket.com/albums/e...smobile%20442/
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:40 PM

Here's a pic of the 79 T/A I even traded for. The car was very nice, and the same color combo. I must say I like the olds better.
Very nice. But I agree about liking the Olds better.
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM

Very nice Olds ,
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Olds Dreamer

Yea love the olds welcome to classic oldsmobile. dont worry about the haters here there just jealous.
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM

I love your new 442!

You must had a bad *** TA to trade for the 442....or the guy was out of him mind!

In addition to some of the comments, I also noticed that the glove box emblem says Cutlass instead of 442. Is that normal for a 442?

Late edit:
I just saw the pic of the TA......my opinion.....the guy was out of his mind!

Dale
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by cutlassconvertee
In addition to some of the comments, I also noticed that the glove box emblem says Cutlass instead of 442. Is that normal for a 442?
it is normal on a 1972. 70-71 (and maybe other years) said 442.
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
But the W-29 package ommited that trim regardless if it was a 1971 or a 1972 model did it not? I think the trunk lid has been changed from original when the car was painted.
First, the car is very nice and who wouldn't want to own it?

But oldsmobiledave is spot on that the W29 RPO was the 442 "option" on even the 69-71 models. Not sure about 68s. It would show on the build manifest with an * next to the required options that the 442 had, but not necessarily as an option package on the window sticker during the "442 was a separate model" years. Internally, the W29 RPO never went away.

The W29 option would remove any other trunk trim except the edge molding style and include 442 deck numerals. So that existing trunklid is wrong if it's a true 442.

As pointed out, the fender 442 emblems are too far off for factory punch holes. I know factory mistakes happen, but not that badly. Someone either replaced the fenders or filled the holes during the last repaint.

And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Rallye Pac 72 cars come with the dash mounted "fasten seat belts" light? I also want to lean to the 442 having the bead trim on the dash panel as well, but that could have been only for 455 cars. Not sure on that.

Sorry, I sniff a clone. Without documentation, I'm sticking to that. Doesn't make it bad, though.

Even after all that, the car looks very nice!
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
First, the car is very nice and who wouldn't want to own it?

But oldsmobiledave is spot on that the W29 RPO was the 442 "option" on even the 69-71 models. Not sure about 68s. It would show on the build manifest with an * next to the required options that the 442 had, but not necessarily as an option package on the window sticker during the "442 was a separate model" years. Internally, the W29 RPO never went away.

The W29 option would remove any other trunk trim except the edge molding style and include 442 deck numerals. So that existing trunklid is wrong if it's a true 442.

As pointed out, the fender 442 emblems are too far off for factory punch holes. I know factory mistakes happen, but not that badly. Someone either replaced the fenders or filled the holes during the last repaint.

And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Rallye Pac 72 cars come with the dash mounted "fasten seat belts" light? I also want to lean to the 442 having the bead trim on the dash panel as well, but that could have been only for 455 cars. Not sure on that.

Sorry, I sniff a clone. Without documentation, I'm sticking to that. Doesn't make it bad, though.

Even after all that, the car looks very nice!
I sniff a bunch of people who think they know everything about everyone else car. I never once on this thread ask purist to pick my car apart. I posted here because I am new to the Olds car community. Unless you have my original window sticker, or the broadcast card showing it's a clone I don't need your 2 cents. I really don't car if it is or isn't I just really like the car. Until you get your diploma with the Oldsmobile historic society you need to step off and worry about your own cars. Please don't waste my thread time telling me your sorry and such, what is said has been said. Try complimenting another forum members car every now and them. Thanks for giving me a bad taste in my mouth for this site.
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:41 PM
11.52 @116

Nice ride man!
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I put a new 2 1/2 exhaust plus found the original hurst shifter ball.
hurst2.jpg
hurst1.jpg
exhaust1.jpg
exhaust2.jpg
exhaust4.jpg
exhaust3.jpg

Last edited by dewcrazzy; October 16th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM

All Cutlass/442/ Supreme had the dash bead, but they were prone to shrinking over the years and pulling away from the dash, they are available in the repo catalogs (Fusick) and not expensive if you wish to get another. As 1972 442's reverted back to an option, they had "Cutlass" on the dash instead of 442. Enjoy you ride.
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
All Cutlass/442/ Supreme had the dash bead, but they were prone to shrinking over the years and pulling away from the dash ...
I don't think all had it, but it seems like most did. I had an original-owner '70 'S' in 1985 without the troublesome bead and without the lower fake wood strip along the bottom of the dash. Same with my '72 (no bead and no lower faux wood).

Dewcrazzy's gold/black '72 has always been one of my favorite color combos for these cars.
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:33 AM

I sniff a bunch of people who think they know everything about everyone else car. I never once on this thread ask purist to pick my car apart. I posted here because I am new to the Olds car community. Unless you have my original window sticker, or the broadcast card showing it's a clone I don't need your 2 cents. I really don't car if it is or isn't I just really like the car. Until you get your diploma with the Oldsmobile historic society you need to step off and worry about your own cars. Please don't waste my thread time telling me your sorry and such, what is said has been said. Try complimenting another forum members car every now and them. Thanks for giving me a bad taste in my mouth for this site.
A bit thin-skinned, are we? If you didn't really care one way or another, you wouldn't be complaining about it. Here's a hint: We both don't really care if your car is an actual 442 or not.

Nobody's picking your car apart and you can bury your head in the sand when it comes to actually learning about the car if you want. That's up to you. And nobody knows everything about Oldsmobiles or there wouldn't be a need for any forums.

I can assure you I'm not sorry for espousing my opinion about the car and its alleged inconsistencies based on my experiences with 72 442s. And I enjoy reading others' comments about what was/wasn't included on 72 W29. But you put it on a public forum. You cannot dictate that someone only compliment your car or STFU. Absurd. If you read my post again, you'll see I did compliment your car. I do like the color combo as well as the cleanliness. If you want to say its hater comments, that's up to you. But it's a very nice car, regardless and you got the better end of the trade.

I'm actually questioning the original owner's claim that they ordered a 442 when in fact, based only on the information/pictures you provide, it may not appear to be as original as they claimed. Or there's some pieces that weren't on the car from the factory if it is. Don't take it as a personal slam because it's not. At this point, there's nothing that tells me it left the factory for sure with the W29 option. That's all. If I'm wrong, then just simply show me where I am wrong. Since you are learning, then know this, the 72 is one of the easiest years to clone a 442. I exaggerate to clarify, but there's probably as many 72 442s surviving today as there was built originally.

So if you want to learn, don't get so upset about it, dig up some documentation such as your window sticker and broadcast card and challenge my suspicions. You bring out documentation and that will settle a lot of issues here, I promise you. You'd be surprised at how many original owners don't know jack about their own car, so accurate information does get lost in the shuffle over the years on subsequent owners, especially if they're fairly new to the brand.
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:53 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard Nice car and a very good trade to boot As for the above comments I cannot speak for them but posting the info on the cowl tag will clear any suspicions. We can decode that info for you. As for Classic Oldsmobile dot com in general, this is THE best Oldsmobile site on the web Don't let a few peoples constructive criticism put a bad taste in your mouth, I don't believe they meant any harm.
Old October 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
All Cutlass/442/ Supreme had the dash bead,
I don't think so. I know the CS came with it as standard trim - just like it came with the wood grain applique on. Both of my 72 Cutlass S's never had the dash bead, but it was an option that could be ordered. This car is also a Cutlass S. With or without the dash molding it has a fantastic interior.

re: the rallye pac. Most of the 72's produced after Jan of 72 did have the dash pad "fasten seat belts" pod as a result of legislation. But it often took the factory a while to implement some of the changes. So this car not having that pod doesn't strike me as being wrong; and I've been corrected on this point too. It could very well have been ordered with the U21 option and installed much the same as it would be in previous years. Hardly a deal breaker - it only adds to the car IMO.

finally: the 442 numerals. We know the owner put them on himself because he said he did. Any changes he wants to make are his call. Most of us that know 442's will see the piercing error, but its not worth getting worked up about. It's a very nice looking car and I'd bet it's fun as He** to drive!

Great pics on the album BTW. Engine bay looks spotless. Any chance you can get a good pic of the cowl tag? Your pics are nice and clear so that will make it easy to read.
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:08 AM
cld
the new guy

Nice car, and who cares if it's all original? A trunk lid and some misplaced badging aren't going to ruin the car or cut its value down to 1400 dollars. Enjoy the car and all the looks you get driving it.
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Believe it or not some of these folks are very knowlledgable on your particular body style and are only trying to help. They are not bashing your car, merely expressing opinions.

The only person who really needs to love your car is you. I believe you did great with your trade, and have a very nice car.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Nice!!!
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM

What was original/correct/available and when and with what casting or stamping code are the kinds of details we like to discuss/debate. It's what we do, it's part of the old car hobby (or disease). If you skim thru other threads you will see it's common. No harm was meant. Beautiful car by the way, inside and out.
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:23 PM

I have no problem with any advise as long as if I asked for it. If and when I was looking at this car I posted pic's asking for advise I would have totally loved every bit of it. This thread was only started to say hi, and that I was new to the site. People say provide window sticker or build sheets, how do you find one. I've taken the interior out with no luck. Here's my 1st video I made yesterday. No Hate please. lol
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That is one sweet sounding car!
re: build sheet? If it's a Lansing car you just won't find one. Other plants would leave them in various places:
Under the parcel shelf
under the carpet
tucked under a seat (front or back)
on top of the gas tank
sometimes behind a door panel

Do you know where your car was built? There will be a letter in the VIN 3G87K2 (letter)
If the letter is M its lansing
Z - Freemont
G - Framingham
R - Arlington
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
That is one sweet sounding car!
re: build sheet? If it's a Lansing car you just won't find one. Other plants would leave them in various places:
Under the parcel shelf
under the carpet
tucked under a seat (front or back)
on top of the gas tank
sometimes behind a door panel

Do you know where your car was built? There will be a letter in the VIN 3G87K2 (letter)
If the letter is M its lansing
Z - Freemont
G - Framingham
R - Arlington
Of coarse it's a Lansing car/figures.3G87M2M243584
The Postwar Oldsmobile VIN Decoder 1946-19973G87M2M243584
Year:1972Division:OldsmobileSeries:Cutlass SBody:Holiday Hardtop (2 door)Engine:350 (5.7) V8 4BBLPlant:Lansing, MichiganSerial Number:243584
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

From the VIN derivative I'm guessing your car was built around the end of May? That will be on your cowl tag - bottom left side by the rivet. There will be a month code (05,06...) and a letter (ABCD) which corresponds to the week it was built (A - first week etc)

Someone really looked after it and IMO you made the better trade. Too bad my neighbor didn't see your TA, he wants one of those so bad.
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:06 AM

Another member decoded my cowl tag.

72 = 1972
3 = GM Division (Oldsmobile)
36 = V8 Cutlass S
87 = 2 Door Hardtop Fastback Coupe
LAN = Lansing, Michigan Assembly Plant
515743 = Fisher Body Unit Number (No relation to VIN)
940 = Black Themed Interior with Strato Bucket Seats
53 = Saturn Gold Lower Body Paint
B = Black Vinyl Top
06A = 1st week (A) of June (06) 1972 Build Date Code
A51 = RPO Code for Strato Bucket Seats
B80 = RPO Code for Bright Roof Drip Moldings (RPO Code B85 required which includes Bright Side Sill Window Moldings) So that's just saying you couldn't have one without the other.
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:25 AM

Your idle is too high and you need new SS2 center cap inserts....kidding!!
Very nice car, excellent color combo, looks and sounds great. You did well on the deal!
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Giftman23
Your idle is too high and you need new SS2 center cap inserts....kidding!!
Very nice car, excellent color combo, looks and sounds great. You did well on the deal!
That's funny, yet true. Just pulled the olds out of the garage and it was on choke. Feel free to donate some new center caps. lol
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:47 AM

B80 = RPO Code for Bright Roof Drip Moldings (RPO Code B85 required which includes Bright Side Sill Window Moldings) So that's just saying you couldn't have one without the other.
Technically it only works (per GM information) one way. If you order B85, you MUST get B80 as well. But, with vinyl tops (C08), B80 is included. Your car doesn't appear to have the B85 wide moldings on the window sill, but no matter. B80 would come with the C08 vinyl top option. So you could have a vinyl top car with bright drip molding and no window sill wide molding, like yours; you could have no bright molding with no vinyl top and no wide window sill molding; or you could have wide sill molding with bright drip molding without vinyl top. Confused yet? And I'm not sure and hope someone can clarify on this, but I was under the impression that 442s had the B80 regardless of vinyl top or window sill modling options.

Looking at the pics of your rear axle/stabilizer bar, I just thought of a way to reasonably check to see if your car may have the W29 option. This doesn't really prove beyond any shadow of a doubt, but when people clone cars, they usually don't think of everything. Such as the front stabilizer bar.

See the attached picture. If the front stabilizer bar ends are flat across the link ends that connect to the A-arms, this is the standard suspension (non-W29) with part # 398499. If the bar has little nibs on the very end, then you have the fatter FE2 bar, part # 399924. Not sure if you could order FE2 on a Cutlass S stand-alone without W29, but if not, this makes having the nibs VERY likely the car is a factory 442.

Page 4 and 5 of the Inspector's Guide also shows this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72-front-stabilizer-bar-siz.jpg (32.9 KB, 200 views)
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Very nice car. The 442 I'm doing is also Saturn Gold except it has a white top and interior. I love how the gold looks in the SS111s, it really suits the wheel style and tires.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:08 AM

Mr. Dew, first that was a beautiful TA, the 442 is nice, but I may be partial, did you ever have Deja, Deja, Deja Deja VU? and don't let the clipboard guy's get you down, enjoy that beauty, and another thing gold cars are my thang
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM

I like the shot of the T/A next to the gun.
Sorry if you are thinking there are "haters" on this site. This is one of the nices bunch of forum members on any car site I have visited. I think to a person we all like your car very much. Some members are very knowledgable about our cars. They like to share that info as much as possible. Even when it's not solicited. I read ever word that was posted and again learned something new. So welcome again to the site , enjoy your car, our posts and the shared knowledge.

Mike
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Burd
Mr. Dew, first that was a beautiful TA, the 442 is nice, but I may be partial, did you ever have Deja, Deja, Deja Deja VU? and don't let the clipboard guy's get you down, enjoy that beauty, and another thing gold cars are my thang
Good to see you on the other side Mr Burd. The love of gold classic cars no matter what make or model will always appeal to me. Clip board clowns are everywhere. I will never forget the let down and disrespect that I received at the natz this year. Never again.....
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:57 PM

put some more chrome on the engine.
chromevalve1.jpg
chromevalve2.jpg
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Keep it that clean under the hood and you'll be taking home some show trophies.
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Very nice car you have there ,I have a 72 also built in Lansing ,but not a 442 ,but it will be a variation on a 442 at some point.I see your in Hamilton ,not far from London,There are quite a bunch of us Olds guys around this forum from Canada eh!

Quick Reply: Hi, this is my 72 442 I traded my 79 T/A for last friday.