The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Introductions

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by texasred
I like to say "You'll get this car when you pry the driver's seat from off of my cold, dead ***..."

C.J.
your right, that one is better. how about "pry the steering wheel out of my cold dead fingers"

You can have it when they cut my dead body out of it with the jaws of life (translated as if I cant have it neither can YOU!)
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Mike, welcome to our site. I think you might try Fusick or Kanter, or mayber even Year One. Those are at least a start.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:12 PM

Great Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM

Dave here, been around for almost a month now. I have one Oldsmobile, a 1969 Cutlass four door hard top. It was purchased by my father-in-law in 1971; he was the second owner, and I have all his maintenance/repair records for all those years. I 'inherited' it after I married his daughter. The car wasn't the only reason I married her, and we're still married after almost 14 years and have one son. Currently, I am beginning the process of doing some major work to the car. I was just going to have rust repaired and get it painted, but it looks like it is turning into a frame-off. You know how it goes...

Dave
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Dave,

I've seen you around...glad you're here. I started my paint project in January...................2006!

And I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. (Private joke)

C.J.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM

Heh...
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM

new guy here...i have a 71 cutlass "s" my mom bought new. ive been in possesion of the car since 1994 and up until recently havent done a thing to it. now its time great site...
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome to classicoldsmobile.com and welcome to restoration. A friend of mine has a tag line that reads "Restorations.....Step Into The Abyss".

C.J.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Introducing.... ta dah!, 71holidaycutlass!!

Hello,

My name is David, I am 30 years young, I live in Arizona, I work with heavy equipment, and I am a proud owner of a 1971 cutlass holiday coupe (surprised?) with a rocket 350.

My brother and law got me interested in Cutlass's back in '01 when he bought a Cutlass "S" vert with a 455, 4bbl, posi 3.08. I loved the way Olds combined luxury with their muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. Olds Cutlass's are still rather plentiful and can be had for much less than other muscle cars such as the chevelle's, stangs, chargers, and impalas. I haven't really worked on a vehicle or project in about 4 years and most of the cars I've worked on in the past consist mostly of old school t-birds, stangs, and full size, Big Block Chevy/Gm trucks. So I figure I needed a new project....

And the story goes...
How and why i aquired my 71 cutlass...

April 2006; I injured my foot playing rugby. Doctors told me to ice it, go to physical therapy, and perscribed pain killers. i tried to play after but i couldn't plant all my wieght on my foot so my rugby ambitions were over. 10 months later, the swelling never completely went away and then the skin was begining to discolor. I underwent surgery to remove what was beleived to be a torn blood vessel of the blood clot in my foot cause by that old rugby injury. After surgery it turns out that it wasn't a clot but instead a tumor. I was diagnost with a rare form of cancer called clear cell sarcoma. There has only been about 75 cases in the past 30 years so information is scarce. I am going to have part or all of my foot amputated along with part of my lower leg but that still doesn't gaurantee I'll survive. This cancer has a high reoccurance rate (eventhough there is only 75 cases). So, as a self perscribed therapy i purchased my 71 cutlass and hope I'm able to finish it.

I've only posted a few times but so far everyone on this forum has been a huge help and i appreciate everyones adive, answers and information for my questions. Im new to Oldsmobiles and have a new found appreciation for them because of there more luxurious offerings. Loud, rough idling, deafening muscle I've driven in the past were loads of fun but I need something a lil more toned down.....

thanks again....
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM

'72 Cutlass Supreme convert.

Hi,
I've just started thinking and posting on this forum.

Am the original owner of a '72 Cutlass Supreme convert. I drove it until about 1996 when the bottom rusted out and my husband said "junk it". I couldn't and won't. It was originally yellow with black interior and white top. It has front buckets with a center compartment.

I had started it last in 2005. It's freezing here in NH now so I will wait for a warmer day and get a battery to check if it will start again.

I think it's a 442. Any advise is welcome. ... accept I will not get rid of it!

Thanks all,
Jane
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome, David.

Sorry to hear of your problems, but you're right that an old car can be great mental therapy...or drive you right over the edge!

There's a lot of knowledge on this board and we're here to help one another.

You didn't say where you are in Arizona, but you might want to check out and join the Oldsmobile Club of America and the Arizona chapter.
Oldsmobile Club of Arizona
P.O. Box 15692
Scottsdale, AZ 85257-5692
email: Info@azoldsclub.com

C.J.
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Past Administrator

Jane, welcome to classicolds! Good to hear that you are keeping the car. If you have rust problems on the floorpans and lower panels they can be repaired. Don't be shy to post questions, we will help as much as we can.
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Past Administrator

Dave, sorry I missed your post just above Jane's. I hope you can build the Cutlass exactly as you wish! Good luck.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks Oldsguy,
I'll keep in touch.
Jane
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Hi, my name is Ryan and I have been forum stalking for a few weeks. I have a 78 Holiday 88 that has been in the family since it was new. It was my first car, and of course it is still my favorite. I wish I had found his forum earlier.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Hiya Ryan. Glad you finally found us! And always good to see a fellow Texan.

C.J.
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Hello all,

I'm Jonathan, I'm 22 and have a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that my dad has had since he was 18.

I'm into modifying and restoring vehicles and I'm getting prepared to do what is needed to the 71 to get her back into shape.... Sadly, it's a lot of work

I learned everything I needed to know by customizing my 1988 S10 thats going to be getting an olds v8 swap once the cutlass is driveable

Looking very forward to putting my time in here asking, and answering questions alike
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Jonathan,

Welcome! Olds-powered S-10....I like the way you think.

C.J.
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM

Thought I would say hi ... just joined up.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. Tell us about yourself.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Welcome to our site. Tell us about yourself.
Well I own a 92 Cutlass Convertible (black) that is currently in complete restoration stages. New fenders, hood, bumper and doors. Body work is going to be done all by myself. Thinking of a 3.8 swap of the 3.1, but its a lot of work with the sensors and all. Other than that I live in Ontario Canada and am an avid Olds enthusiast ... GM ...bring it back!!!
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Welcome, Mr Wilde.

C.J.
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Hiya

Hey ,hi and hello
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Heya Rabbit.

Tell us about yourself and your car. I assume it matches those nice hubcaps...

C.J.
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM

well im a little late on intro's i guess my name is Robert im 19 i own a 1965 oldsmobile starfire which i love its one of the best cars i for one think that olds built..... its got a numbers matching 425 w/ dual rear ext exaust thats comes out of paneling ( if youve never seen a 65 ) slight rust but i hope to own day restore it...... i just graduated high school and im not sure what future career i want..... although i didnt mentuion i live in fremont county Colorado which if u do not know where that is your very lucky .... the one county known in the midwest with around 13 federal pins in the county alone which is like a crazy citizen to prison ratio which means most people hear are guards which i do not wanna be...... anyways back to olds....lol ive always been interested in muscle cars of all brands ..... never really nkew anything about olds till i purchased my 65 and since then have been learning info about all types..... if anyone lives in colorado and would like to cruise one of these days or maybe trade pics email is tech9twista@yahoo.com thanx for looking and for everyone who runs this site it has alot of hard to find info for all enthusiasts... thanx again and have a good day..... lol i forgot to put i live right near FORT CARSON army base which is world renound 4 consrutction...... so please god no more terrorist attacks ...... god bless to all those that have served and those that have given everything .........Robert
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Heya Robert,

Glad to finally know more about ya. Post some pics of your car.

Better to be a guard than an inmate...

C.J.
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

Hello Rabbit, welcome to our site. Robert, nice intro, seems like you are already a regular but thanks for the intro..
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM

'72 Cutlass Supreme convert.

HI everyone,
Hi to Tracy who was pushed into selling her Cutlass. Good luck getting another.

I thought I had a 1972 Cutlass Supreme convertible with a 350 4 barrel.
My car is in an unheated garage and has not been started for about 2 yrs.
My best friend says she is sure it is a 442. How can I find out for sure? I have no original paperwork.
Thanks to Texasred (C. J.) I have a set of '72 books. Will these books work for any Cutlass?
How much do you all think it will cost to restore my beauty? I drove it until about 1995 when it would not pass inspection. It started up great in 2004.
My plan:
1. I will put a new battery in it and whatever else it needs to try to start it. I need to have the engine removed and try to get my husband to overhaul the engine in the garage or take it to a garage to have it overhauled.

2. I will have it trucked to a man 50 miles south of us that will replace the floor panels, take it down to the metal and paint an original color. I have a '72 Olds color chart.

He will also install the bumpers that I get from the Bumper Chrome Company. I understand that they will give me a little money for the cores. I don't know what they will cost.

3. I then will have it trucked home and have the engine installed or take the overhauled engine down to the newly painted frame to have it placed in the Cutlass. The man who paints it may also be able to overhaul the engine. The man will give me a passed inspection form that I will take to get it registered and new license plates. Are their any special plates or registration that I should get?

4. Next I will drive it to a local man who will rehab the carpets and upholstery. It has bucket seats with a center compartment.

5. Lastly I will take it to another local man to have a new top installed.

I would appreciate price ranges for each step. Also have I left anything out?

Thanks for you time reviewing my plan.
I hope that I can follow through with this plan. I plan to drive it in good weather only and driving it for weddings and graduations for friends of mine. I'd also drive it in parades for volunteer organizations.

God bless,
Jane
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Cool dyscookn

Hello
My name is Dan, age 54 from S.C. Military S.C.N.G. 1972-1978,driver/gunner155 S.P. Howitzer. 1972-Present Chemical lab tech.
Car stuff: Dad ran own body shop 1940's-1960's.Looked over his shoulder a lot! (Never could learn to weld but can lead.)
Previous auto restorations:1930 A Model,1950 Merc.,1966 Nova S.S.,1965 Mustang 2+2.
Now have a 1975 Delta 88 Royale Conv.- Ebay car - 90000mi.- from estate sale(?) - sat up for A Lon----g time! Will post ?'s in other threads.

Oldsmobile best buys so far: 1975 Shop Manual and Conv.top manual (came with the car),Fisher Body Manual($12. Amazon),Parts#Manual on cd ($10. Ebay)
Thanks in advance,
dy
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to out site Dan!

Those documents were some good buys, I have seen those parts # manuals on CD before but never bought one, any good? Lookinf forward to pics.
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Hello,
another San Antone resident here. Have a 72 Supreme Convertible 350/350. Has about 160k but overall in pretty good shape. Met Dan S and others at the Autorama recently and need to get to the next South Texas Club meeting. Real nice guys!

I really am excited about getting this car built as is my dad. He gets a thrill out of restoring it long distance as he lives in Houston and health is not great. His last project was his 63 Stude Avanti that he did a ground up in 87 and won midwest national champion in Current Restored class in 89 believe.

Basic mechanical knowledge at best so I really hope to pick your brains and look forward to meeting some of you guys at the next meeting in March.

Miller
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Past Administrator

Looking forward to seeing progress on your vert! With experience like your Dad's on your team it should look very nice when done. Welcome to our site.
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Hi Miller,

Looking forward to meeting you.

C.J.
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
2Blue 55

Hi guys, I guess i am a little late for introductions, but my name is robert howie and I own a 1955 oldsmobile s-88 4dr. I am in the process of restoring it and I am almost ready for paint. I live in nova scotia, Canada. I am the only oldsmobile freak in my school and everyone wants to modify a honda or toyota. I love my olds and wouldn't trade it for a closterfobiamobile like a toyota or a Nissan. I am enjoying classic oldsmobile and would like to say keep up the good work on the site to admin and moderators. everyone id friendly and full of information.
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:39 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Robert,

Welcome! I've seen you around, but it's nice to finally "meet" you.

FWIW, the first car I remember my parents owning was a 1955 Olds. I don't remember if it was an 88 or 98, but even in the early 60s it was the only car on the block with automatic transmission, electric windows and air conditioning!

My dad sold it in 1968 (for $75 ) and got a 64 Pontiac Star Chief with a 389 and dual exhaust. It wasn't as comfortable as the Olds (which felt like you were riding on the living room couch) but it sure was a screamer!

C.J.
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

C.J.

Don't you mean you remember YOUR first Olds in highschool, a brand new '55 olds?
Just kidding, as others may not know, you aren't THAT old. Look who's talking .

Welcome to our site Robert. I think the '55 has one of the nicest body styles of the mid fifties, a real close second to the '58.
About the kids that like the foreign stuff. It's ok, me and my car buds don't look down on the ricers because hey, at least they like cars! When C.J. and I were kids, we were driving mom's left-over Chevy or Ford or Chrysler sedan (or Olds if we were lucky ) as our first car; and look at the kids now, they are driving mom's left over Toyota or Nissan or Honda sedan as their first car. So it is only natural to hop-up what ya got, right?
Anyway, glad to have you here and hope to hear from you more on the forums.
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
2Blue 55

Hi, thanks for all the great comments on my car, I didn't mean to down on the forign models, just saying I love my olds and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is great to see so many new mwmbers each day.
Thanks, Robert
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM

hows it going robert my name is also robert.... anyways out trying to fire up the 65 starfire today and wondering if anyone knows where i can find a complete 65 hydramatic transmission diagram ,,,, my 65 starfire's transmission wont go into gear , the guy i bought it from says theres a valve that needs to be messed with (check valve) and hes wont ever try to come fix it.... think hes a little jealous i have the car now and its my baby but i dont have the money to take it to a trans shop for full rebuild just wondering if anyone has any info thanx Robert...... will also post in trans just thought id say hi....
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
2Blue 55

Originally Posted by TECH9TWISTA
hows it going robert my name is also robert.... anyways out trying to fire up the 65 starfire today and wondering if anyone knows where i can find a complete 65 hydramatic transmission diagram ,,,, my 65 starfire's transmission wont go into gear , the guy i bought it from says theres a valve that needs to be messed with (check valve) and hes wont ever try to come fix it.... think hes a little jealous i have the car now and its my baby but i dont have the money to take it to a trans shop for full rebuild just wondering if anyone has any info thanx Robert...... will also post in trans just thought id say hi....
I think i seen a diagram in old car manual project or somthing like that. I seen your car in your profile... I wish mine looked like that... I will get back to you on the hydramatic diagram.
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
2Blue 55

Originally Posted by keith6989
I think i seen a diagram in old car manual project or somthing like that. I seen your car in your profile... I wish mine looked like that... I will get back to you on the hydramatic diagram.
It was for a 64, the link is http://64oldstrans.bravepages.com/index.htm

Quick Reply: Introductions