The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Kansas City, MO newbie with 1970 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM

Kansas City, MO newbie with 1970 Delta 88

Hey everyone! I'm Alex from Kansas City, MO. I have a 1970 Delta 88 four door that needs work. I've had it for five years but was at school and never really did anything to it. Now I'm ready to start to fix her up, I know exactly what I want to do and where to start, but I know nothing about working on car and am hoping this site will really help me and take me in the right direction. For now I want it to just run and stop, wont start and the brakes don't seem to work. I think the starters out but I had it replaced about a year ago, the last time it ran. So any help would be great!

Thank,
Alex
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:53 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Alex! Post some pics of your ride when you get a chance.
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to CO.
As far as the brakes, since this car has been sitting for a long time. I would recommend that the entire brake system be overhauled. The master cylinder should be rebuilt, or better even, replaced. The same with the wheel cylinders (or calipers). The brake shoes (or pads) should be replaced and the brake drums (or rotors) should be re-machined or replaced.
The front wheel bearings should be thoughly cleaned and inspected. If the bearing surfaces show any pitting they should be replaced. Replace the front wheel seals. Pack the bearings with grease, but don't fill the entire hub.
Inspect the area where the rear axle shafts go in to the axle. If there is any oil leakage there, the rear axle bearings/seals should be replaced.
The brake hoses should be replaced and the metal lines should be inspected carefully for rust pitting. Rusted or damaged lines should be replaced.
As to the starting problem. Does it crank over and just not fire? Or does it not even crank over when you twist the key with a fully charged battery?

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 12th, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Phantom Phixer

The factory service manual is the best source of service info and detailed "how to" instructions. It can be downloaded for free here:
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9930340732039
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Runner

Another KC member... welcome aboard! (Although I'm on the KC side).
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:02 PM
1967 Delmont 88 Owner

Hi Alex! Greetings from across the state line... I'm in the KC area, too! <waves>
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:11 PM

Read the factory manual first. At least the parts that cover your immediate needs. There will be some learning GM-speak as you go. They assume you have every special tool ever made, so you might need to improvise a bit. Maybe buy a few special tools such as the brake spring tool-- though I did many brake jobs with vice grips and regular tools.
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:34 PM

Welcome Alex,Oldsmobiles are always a good choice to put back on the road.Be sure and get the brakes right since that's one of the most important parts of the car.I am far away from K.C. , but like the others on C.O. ,I am as near as your computer when questions arise. Larry
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Well Sarah, hopefully Alex is still around as he only posted once a year ago.