The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Keep it stock or bump it up?

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM

Keep it stock or bump it up?

Hello,

I have a 72 Cutlass convertible supreme "original A/C car" that is all original besides the engine which is stock. In the opinion of the cutlass community would it be better to keep it stock in appearence, or does this devalue the car? I would like to put a mild motor in it and change colors, as well as rims and tires (keeping the originals of course).

Thanks,

Greg
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM
Past Administrator

If you have a convertible in very good original condition then it would probably keep a higher value if it stayed in that condition. But it's your car and it isn't a 442 or even better a '69 or '68 442 convertible which fetch even more bucks so if you want to make some changes go ahead. Lots of members here have done that and have some very nice cars. If you are an investor then don't change it. If you like your cars and enjoy Oldsmobiles then go for it.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM

I just bought a 72 cutlass vert about a month ago. Its a all original survivor and I love the car the way it is. I would suggest you keep it original. You can restore it but restore it to original condition. Just my 2 cents. Looks like a sweet car, kinda like mine. Good luck.

Last edited by my72vert; July 22nd, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM

Well that is the age old question; keep it original or bump it up? Personally, I think it depends on what you want to do with your car. Original lets you do certain things, like register for classic plates (depending on your state) or keep your car value higher. I know that if you were to sell it, as a buyer I would rather have an all original car. This way I know exactly what I had. When alterations are made, it changes everything from the basic repair manual to getting parts. I say keep it original unless you just have to upgrade.