The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

ken simeral

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:02 PM

ken simeral

I am happy to talk to owners of all Oldsmobile.

Have a question concerning build sheets. I have a 1968 442. i have a protect-o-plate. Also an IBM punch card relating to the accessories plus a print out showing the production date, line number ect. Its about the same size of the IBM card. Are any of these, except the protect-o-plate, considered a build sheet?

Thanks Ken
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Ken,
Welcome aboard.
No, the build sheet is a separate document - I can share one with you from a friend of mine who has a 68 442. His was built in Fremont CA. The build sheet looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Teds build sheet.jpg (90.7 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by Allan R; February 24th, 2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: fix typo change 69 to 68
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard These documents you speak of are always a cool addition to have with the car. Allan and I, along with most here are eager to see and discus what you have.
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:09 PM

You probably have one of these.
Attached Images
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome, any documentation pertaining to your car is always a perk. We like to see pictures too.
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:57 PM
same but different

Welcome Ken. Glad to see you have some paper work.

I have found hand written notes before, usually in the upholstery or under carpet areas. About the size of cash register paper or so...that would reflect interior codes found in the build sheet. I still remember that day, the build sheet was found only a few minutes later.
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO, you will probably be searching for the build sheet on your car so good luck.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:51 AM

need help,

I have a 1968 442. I believe that the engine is original. My problem is that due to health reasons,I have not started it for 5 years. I live in central Florida, a lot of rain ect. What is the best way to start it or should I just pull it out?

Ken Simeral
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ken simeral
need help,

I have a 1968 442. I believe that the engine is original. My problem is that due to health reasons,I have not started it for 5 years. I live in central Florida, a lot of rain ect. What is the best way to start it or should I just pull it out?

Ken Simeral

I just started a boat I bought that's been sitting in a musty boathouse for 8 years. It had overheated just prior to being retired to the boathouse from, I assume, getting weeds over the water intake in the outdrive. I pulled the plugs, checked the compression, squirted some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, emptied the spin on fuel filter, filled it with fresh gas, and fired it up. Runs great.

If you put it away properly and there's still a hood and air cleaner on the car, you're probably in good shape to do what I did with the boat.
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:38 AM

What? "just" pull the engine because it hasn't started in a while?
no.

I started a Toro 425 engine that sat for 12 yrs in the SWAMP we call Michigan. New points and it started right up. Went into a race car and embarrassed the 455 that used to be in the race car. With the squirrel nest and nuts still on top of the engine. Ran for weeks, was still racing when the next 425 was installed.

How about, see if it turns over by hand, w/o the plugs in place, squirt some oil in the cylinders... go from there. Get compression and spark, you should be good to go. Oil flush right away of course.