The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My Dream Car: '63 F85 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:25 PM

My Dream Car: '63 F85 Convertible

In l963 I bought a Jetfire. My husband sold it in '64! Since they are virtually extinct, I'm looking for a '63 F85 Convertible, Light Blue Metallic, White Top, White Leather Bucket Seats, with 4 on the floor.
Any leads will be appreciated.
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Welcome, I would not be to hung up on color, and check the cars for sale section. There have been some recently. Good luck.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM

Thank youl. I would need to buy one that does not need restoring. Husband does not want to do that again since he restored his '56 T-Bird. Says it always costs more than expected. I keep a close watch on all that is for sale in hopes one become available.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Here's one. $9800. In central Florida. Looks pretty good to me, and the price seems fair. It's got a four-speed and a white interior.

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/3865799596.html

I did a nationwide search on craigslist, and this is all that turned up at the moment in terms of '63 F-85 convertibles. I think that if you really wait until you find one that meets every single one of your requirements, you might be waiting for a very long time.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 8th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think these guys are giving you some good advice as they always do. Certainly you can usually buy a finished car for less than you can do one. One other thing, I don't believe the F-85 had leather on the bucket seats. I might be wrong but I think it was high grade vinyl.
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

There seems to be a lot of interest in the 61-63 cars lately. Just be aware that parts support in the aftermarket is virtually nonexistent. There are NO sheet metal, interior, or trim parts being reproduced with the exception of some small emblems. Engine parts are pretty easy as Rover built the aluminum V8 for four decades after buying the motor from GM. The Rotohydramatic 5 transmission was unique to the 61-63 F-85 and Cutlass cars (Skylarks used a different trans) and parts can be tough to find. The rear axle is also unique to the 61-63 cars and except for seals and bearings, parts are nearly impossible. Steering, suspension, and brake parts are difficult to find, but available. Kanter sells most of these items, but thinks very highly of their merchandise (ie, it is priced accordingly). You can get some items from NAPA, like rebuild parts for the brake cylinders. The 63 cars have a lot of one-year-only items, like most of the sheet metal and the steering linkage. Good luck, but be aware of what you are getting into. Buy the most complete, nicest car you can afford.

Note that I personally have never taken my own advice on this, however...