The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Post New to the Forum

As the name indicates, I have a 1967 442 convertible - yellow, automatic, with black interior and top. I am the original owner, having taken delivery of the car in April of 1967 while in college. It was my main means of transportation when getting married and for the first couple years of the first job in South Carolina. It has 120,000 miles on it and never let me down in all the years it was used. After many years of storage, it's time has finally come for a body-off restoration. It is currently totally disassembled, the chassis blasted and painted, and in the beginnings of re-assembly.

I found this site while looking for confirmation on the correct mufflers to get. It appears to be very helpful.
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM

Smile

Welcome to the site!Thats so cool,no one else has ever owned it,not to many people can say that.Mines a 72' cutlass s,I've had it for 24 yrs.I look forward to following your frame-off build,keeps me fired up about my projects.Later,BO
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Yep I've got a 69 drop top that is the mosy dependable car I've ever owned. Where are you located?

Post some pics when you can.
Old August 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Welcome to the site! Yes, few guys were able to keep the car of their college days through marriage, kids, career, etc. so it's fun to hear you still have yours. Pictures please, of its early days and present project condition.
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

X2 on the pictures
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
car guy

Welcome to the site. Post some pics of back in the day and current progress when you have the chance.
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Pictures

Thanks for the replies. I will dig out some pictures. As a little (irrelevant) history, I inherited (family hand me down) a 1957 Pontiac station wagon when I started driving. Living about 5 miles from town (in Iowa) I drove it to high school and then took it to my first year at the University of Iowa. However, the right upper a-arm broke and the car dropped to the pavement with my mother in the car during Easter break. She insisted that I have safer car. My Dad bought a 2-door 1965 Olds Delta 88 (a year old with 24,000 miles) and I inherited the family 1961 98 Olds 4-door - for about 4 days. My Dad did not like the Delta 88 and took back the 98, so I got to take the 88 to school. After a couple months it started using oil (head gasket) which got fixed, then after a few more months it started using oil (more head gasket I guess) but this time it got traded. I had the choice of a GTO or a Cutlass. (My parents were not wealthy, so it was a stretch for them to get me a new car.) A friend at college had really talked up the 442s (and being primarily an Oldsmobile family), so I chose the 442. Getting a convertible took some arguing with my mother who thought they were not safe, but my Dad was cool and it all worked out. The local dealer had an attractive yellow Cutlass hard top in the showroom - which was the reason for the color choice. I think it took about 5 or 6 weeks to get the car after ordering it. Probably more than you wanted to know!
Old August 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Talking

Not hardly,thats the stuff i live for!You'll fit right in.I remember very well the first time i saw my car.My dad sold cars at the che*y store,I cleaned up used cars on saturdays there.She was parked where the ''trade ins''usally were.I was having a fit,***** red w/a black vinyl top.Anyhow it wasn't a trade in,nor was it for sale,I bugged that guy every time he came by.Well after the whole summer was gone,finally he calls!Wants way more than my dad is gonna pay,man was i down.I'd all but givin up on ever owning that beautiful car,then they trade for a truck the guy wanted,a deal was struck,the rest is history.....AHHHHHH!Thats the first time i've written it down.
My dad saw the man a couple months ago,he asked about the car,he still regrets selling it.I feel for him,he loves her too,but shes mine forever.That ,my friend is love!Later on,BO
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by 67Convert442
Probably more than you wanted to know!
Never... Nice story indeed!
Most of us enjoy hearing about the history of our cars - it makes them what they are to us.
You do truely have a unique situation - still owning a car that has been around since new!
The only car I can say that about is my 78 Ford. I rode in it as a child and it took me to school and college and to work all those years. It shows its age but it is still dependable.
I wish my mom still had her 86 Cutlass she bought new - I learned to drive with it. Such a luxuious ride it was... She traded it several years ago without my knowledge...

Anyway, welcome aboard - you will enjoy it here!