The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy, With a '75 Regency 98

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2020, 10:53 PM

New Guy, With a '75 Regency 98

I'll preface this with saying, I have a huge love for big, ahem, huge 60s/70s American stuff. It just does it for me, always has. Having owned lots of big Fords in the past, I wanted to try something different.

My requirements were that the car would run, and drive, be rust free, and be a good fit for my daughter to come cruise around with me.

Some stuff here and there caught my eye, went to look at some total busts. Including a memorable, as described "absolutely 100% rust free car" near Waterloo, Iowa, that I could put my hands through. After a 6 hour drive, the thought of committing several felonies was there, but dissipated as soon as I had the ability to mull over taking up residency in an Iowa Penitentiary.

Saw some good looking pictures of a big, and clean looking Olds on Facebook marketplace, and sent the seller a message. Got a quick response, and an affirmation that the car was rust free, ran and drove. After getting some additional pictures of my areas of concern, I took this past friday off, and me and my usual copilot, my friend Gus, decided to make the trip.

We live in Chicago, and met at my mother's house near O'Hare. I work afternoons, so by the time I got to her house, it was nearly 2 AM. I did the tool loading, and checking that I had money, maps, and everything else. That all done I took an hour nap, and waited for my friend to show up at 04:45. We departed Chicago at 05:00 en route to Centerville Iowa.

Our route was as follows,

TriState Tollway (I-294) to the East-West Tollway (I-88) west to Interstate 74, near the Quad Cities. From there 74, down to Galesburg, Illinois, where we would follow US 34 to Burlington Iowa. US 61 down to Ft. Madison and cutting over to State 27 into Missouri. From there we'd take US 136 west to State 202, crossing back into Iowa, then State 2 for our final approach into Centerville. Route back was more or less the same with some small deviations.

I used to live in Galesburg, Illinois, so we decided to shoot for breakfast there.

wzOY5Vv.jpg

Had a great breakfast!

XV6Fo0Z.jpg

Hit a bit of a "log jam" (HA!) while waiting for IDOT to trim some trees on US 34

s7a4vf8.jpg

Nice Chevy on 34

7remoMn.jpg

lVHBcxZ.jpg

Snake Alley in Burlington

y52bTbj.jpg

0qb5Lo6.jpg

Looking west on 136

aqs2coB.jpg

fGiKpe6.jpg

And, what waited for us in Centerville

27WkEgy.jpg

It's a 1975 Oldsmobile Regency 98. 455-4V, TH400, and all the options you could want. The car started its life, and spend most of it anyway, in Colorado, Montrose, to be exact. Extremely clean, with a new trans in 2014, and no rust to be found, it was a no brainier, we shook hands and I took possession of my new olds. The seller said he wouldn't trust the battery too long, it was an older Delco, so we headed over to the Wal-Mart and grabbed a decent enough replacement. Good CA, and CCA, and for 60 bucks I'm not complaining, it did its job.

0vLCKki.jpg

XACSmTi.jpg

VqodFdf.jpg

Battery replaced, we headed back south out of town. I had noticed a roadside bar when we went through Downing, MO the first time, so we aimed the cars that way. But not before a fuel stop was required. The TDI was returning 46 MPG average so far, and only ended up using 32 dollars in fuel for the entire 755 miles it was driven.

cyh4hGC.jpg

HA0IzaX.jpg

bUGyk56.jpg

Old March 21st, 2020, 10:54 PM

Great food! The Hammer Mill Restuarant in Downing, MO

sj3Xqz3.jpg

After lunch we hit the road again. Radio was working good, heat was going, and it was quite a comfy ride as I started to settle into the big Olds. It's the kind of car that you really do grow into. Every piece of yourself finding the right spot on the pillowtop upholstery, legs stretched out, warm enough to take off your jacket, as the outside temps hover precariously close to 15, and the strong wind is just a minor annoyance, to be felt but absolutely not heard as the big car slides down the road. Curves bumps and lane changes are accomplished by a vauge, unhurried, waddle over.

Car running well, we stopped at a Flying J to check the tires and hit the bathrooms. At this point we decided our next stop would be the I-74 Rest Stop near the Quad Cities.

Night falls quickly in the Midwest winter. Although the days are lengthening, it can seem like dusk is nothing but a blink. This just about 8 O'Clock on I-74 near Woodhull, Illinois.

Groovin' along we headed towards Rochelle, where we would make our final fuel stop and hit it heavy towards the city.

wipmDaZ.jpg

rKpGjbV.jpg

A healthy 11.44 MPG, and 24 gallons later, we got back on the Tollway, setting the cruise at 75 MPH.

We made it back to my mother's house, where I'll be storing it for now, anyways.

V2WlLzR.jpg

700 miles. 15 hours start to finish!

Also some inside pictures, since I forgot to post any.

CZg5coS.jpg

uZ373ni.jpg

Car ran and drove great, needs an alignment, wheel is off a bit. Slight wind leak from one of the window weather strips. Also a good detailing!
Wel after getting the Olds home, it was time to give it a good cleaning. That's usually been my first order of anything I pick up, and it really gives me an opportunity to go over every inch of the car and really take a look at it in depth. Well and see the stuff I usually miss when I'm in full car boner buying mode. Clean, but years of dust and barn dirt were in great supply.

My daughter, approves of the trunk,.

Tj8JLuj.jpg

The car came with a bunch of receipts, manuals, and brochures, tucked into different places. That and the everything is absolutely original, gave credence to the fact this is an actual 14k mile car. Neat!

cEPTpDf.jpg

Also had to buy a sales brochure on eBay!

uvkOVlC.jpg

w9mKRhX.jpg

Old March 21st, 2020, 10:55 PM

Did a good wash, and scrub with Meguiar's Gold class, then used a DA, with Lake Country pads, and used Meguair's Ultimate Compound, followed by their #7 (?) Polish, then #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. Tires/Wheel covers got Meg's Wheel Brightener.

That's also when I discovered the tires are about 25 years old. Yikes. New ones ordered, white walls of course. No dry rot on these though, would have never guessed the age. Car cleaned up nicely.

MPH9NGU.jpg

fsRi1CA.jpg

eU83oLO.jpg

Y1f9IOD.jpg

GcYcEki.jpg

QbAQjnk.jpg

vNyuxhu.jpg

432dd6c.jpg

rWIPE6R.jpg

pjUa8WM.jpg

DxTUb1d.jpg

The best help!

Xr0wD2y.jpg

Then had to fit it into the garage

s85icPB.jpg

Mint!

3rXUQ5R.jpg

Did Igniton stuff/Belts/Hoses/ Coolant/Fuel-Air filter/and an Oil change with some friends last weekend.

vwfiLRY.jpg

rUI2OSx.jpg

Plugs looked great!

cttLVgF.jpg

u8NFE6c.jpg

Got my 1975 Illinois plates on the car today, yes it flurried.

uXAM5TI.jpg

And got my new air cleaner decal in the mail, along with some other reproduction decals to freshen up the engine bay, when the weather gets decent again.

Qz5SfA4.jpg

Got a RockAuto box today with 4 new shocks, and tie rod ends.

And that brings us current. Thanks for reading!

George

Old March 22nd, 2020, 03:42 AM

Great looking car!!! Thanks for the story
Old March 22nd, 2020, 03:56 AM

Love that car sounds like a nice trip . Welcome!!
Old March 22nd, 2020, 05:07 AM

Great car and super shape for its vintage. I remember those cars well from when I was a teenager. Always though the change from round headlights on the '74 to rectangular on the '75 (and '76) really improved the looks of the front end. Just gave it a more balanced and finished feel to me anyway. Enjoy your new toy.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing a great story.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 07:33 AM

Nice car, gotta love that lux regency interior!!!!
Old March 22nd, 2020, 07:45 AM

Probably the most complete intro ever on Classic Olds, great read. I don't know what you paid for it but whatever it was it was well worth it..... Lost in the fifties ....Tedd
Old March 22nd, 2020, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the write-up, nice job it brought back many great memories. We had a '75 silver on silver with the silver gray interior.

Good luck with the car!!!
Old March 22nd, 2020, 08:31 AM

What a great car and a fantastic read! Thanks for sharing, and Welcome to C.O.! And I'm glad your daughter agrees with your purchase
Old March 22nd, 2020, 08:54 AM

Very nice car and very nice story.

One comment about the "Rocket 455" air cleaner decal. That's not correct for your car. In the latter years of the 455 in the big cars ('75 and '76, I believe), Olds dropped the "Rocket" on the decal and just had "455." Not sure whey they did that as they were still Rocket V-8s. But if you want the underhood appearance to be 100% correct, you want the decal below, which Fusick sells.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....p?number=B135A

I recently saw an ad for a '75 Delta 88 with the 350 engine, and the air cleaner decal was old and worn and looked very original, and it was still readable. It said "Oldsmobile 350," not "Oldsmobile Rocket 350."

Old March 22nd, 2020, 09:33 AM
same but different

Great ride! Thanks for sharing your story.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 09:43 AM

Thank you guys I appreciate it!

I paid 3k for the car, which I feel was fair for what it is.

Also about the air cleaner decal, lol, I realized my mistake about a week after I got the rocket one. I did order the other correct one, thanks for the link!

George
Old March 22nd, 2020, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the story. I always liked those tail lights.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Georges75
Thank you guys I appreciate it!

I paid 3k for the car, which I feel was fair for what it is.

Also about the air cleaner decal, lol, I realized my mistake about a week after I got the rocket one. I did order the other correct one, thanks for the link!

George
$3k is a great price for that car.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 02:39 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Sharp looking 98... It must feel good to have accomplished a very successful road trip right from the start...
Old March 22nd, 2020, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
$3k is a great price for that car.
Hear, hear !

That's a lot of car for that money, figuratively and literally. Big, powerful, luxurious, with good looks to boot. I bet the ride comfort is phenomenal. Welcome to the site and congratulations on the acquisition.

PS for all you mileage hounds out-there he managed 11.44 MPG with a mint condition low mileage stock 455 in a 98.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm a bit of a weirdo with fuel records and stuff. I keep logs of all of my fill ups, maintenance, etc, and have for pretty much every car I own. Selective OCD I guess. God knows I'm not nearly that organized in any other facet of my life lol.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 04:53 AM

That's a great deal, George! There are still good deals out there for the full size cars. It will give you a lot of pleasure for the small investment!!
Old March 23rd, 2020, 04:57 AM

Welcome. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 24th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Jeff

What. A. Tank! Glad you didn't have any mishaps with those old tires. I pressed my luck for a long time with the bias ply's that were on my Starfire when I bought it in '98. Finally replaced them last summer. Just dumb & lazy on my part.

It really is an amazing time capsule, and at a respectable price to boot. Enjoy it!
Old March 26th, 2020, 12:03 AM

Replaced a dry rotted fuel hose today, and went for a drive. Cruised around downtown, and didn't interact with anyone or touch anything, so I was being socially responsible, and it was good to get out.

Pics!
ihygJ11.jpg2euWQqn.jpgXwPkZq2.jpgb532I9O.jpglF4uwPj.jpgLEdROxW.jpg
Old March 26th, 2020, 02:24 AM

Outstanding

Is trunk lock cover a rocket by chance ?
have a 76 decklid with that & seems like my 75 88 royale conv had a royale script under poly
& has been some discussion on that without any determination & a pic o that would certainly be helpful
Thanks
Omishjon4@gmail.com
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by rocketscientis
Is trunk lock cover a rocket by chance ?
have a 76 decklid with that & seems like my 75 88 royale conv had a royale script under poly
& has been some discussion on that without any determination & a pic o that would certainly be helpful
Thanks
Omishjon4@gmail.com

It is a rocket, this is the best pic I can do at the moment,

CaTAuE1.jpg
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:20 AM

Did you need a 'trip permit' to drive it home?
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:21 AM

Lol no we got it home before the apocalypse started!
Old March 26th, 2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Georges75
Lol no we got it home before the apocalypse started!
George, you're not kidding. Its like we are living in a horror movie, a combination of The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston and They Live starring Rowdy Roddy Piper. Signs everywhere saying "stay home, stop the spread" then you turn on to a street and are lucky if you see one other human being besides yourself.

By the way, great pic with your ride in-front of the The Chicago Theatre, a winner ! Deserves to be blown up to poster size then professionally framed and hung in the home...seriously.
Old March 26th, 2020, 06:09 PM

Your picks are great! Very pro-like. Just like vintage adds.
Old March 29th, 2020, 12:04 AM

Thanks guys!

Definitely getting the Chicago Theater shot blown up at Walgreens or Sears or something, well you know, when we can go outside again.

George