The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy (detroit)

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:00 AM

New guy (detroit)

My name is Ken i have a 69 olds cutkass s convertible have a few issues with the car that i hoped others could help me out with thanks happy new year
Old January 4th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Old School Olds

Welcome Ken. Verts rule!
Post up some pics of your ride.
A lot of support for the 69's here.
Old January 4th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome, x2 on the pic's. Just ask away in the appropriate forum.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:00 AM

Welcome to CO x3 on pics.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Randy C.

Hello Ken, and welcome to the best Olds site there is. Feel free to ask away on your questions and you will get high quality answers from the expertise that prowls this web site. I finished restoration on my '68 back in 2007 and, without this site, it would have taken me a lot longer to figure things out for myself and get the original parts I needed. The nice thing about asking questions here is that (1) the expertise is here to answer them; and (2) you end up learning from the questions you asked (at least I did). This is a great site. Enjoy, and, yes, X4 on the pics!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442conv070812.jpg (326.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg
Olds69442.jpg (44.6 KB, 7 views)
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Welcome form the left coast

The old saying used to be tops go down skirts go up. At least this was the saying my generation had when we went to the submarine races on Friday nights

X+ on the pictures
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM

one of my problems is rear suspention i have threeway adjustable shocks ss1 14 inch rims with bf goodrich ta 60s first all it does is smoke the hell out of tires, slides like a drift car great fun but not practical ive been told to go to 15 inch tire and wheel
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Welcome...Im sure Im not alone here but what exactly is the problem with that? Is the rear too stiff? What exactly are you looking for in "practically"? You have to be very specific if you want us to trouble shoot online. Very hard to accurately do that with minimal info and only one of our senses working.
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kwiegg
one of my problems is rear suspention i have threeway adjustable shocks ss1 14 inch rims with bf goodrich ta 60s first all it does is smoke the hell out of tires, slides like a drift car great fun but not practical ive been told to go to 15 inch tire and wheel
Welcome. The basic BFG Radial T/As are not particularly sticky for straight line launches. Changing to 15" wheels by itself will make no difference. Changing to larger diameter tires (which WILL likely require larger wheels) has the same effect as installing higher gears (lower numerically), so traction improves but acceleration once you hook up will be hurt. What exactly do you want to do with the car? If you are simply driving it on the street, learn to launch without spinning the tires. If you are racing, get drag radials. Also, look into rear suspension mods like the bars that Dick Miller sells.
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM

Not hooking up i guess you could say. Mash the gas and it just spins the tires and goes to a bad tire hop.. I dont do much on the computer.
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:00 AM

yes I was lookin into a street slick downfall is the 14 inch tire I have a 411 gear so thats gona be lost when going taller tire? thanks joe. I just want to point straight and go fast. I looked into a modification to the lower arm adjustable bracket
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

It sounds like you have a couple of issues going on. Wheel hop, traction, which is part of wheel hop, worn bushings and possible some rear geometry problems which will also lead to hop. These all contribute to your problem This thread could go in many different directions from adjustable upper(not lower) control arms to poly graphite bushings to ladder bars etc...None real cheap unless you dont care about cost?
So I think what you may be asking for is standard stock street-ability? Inspect and replace the bushings, shocks sound ok but you may opt for a standard oem high quality unit, install another rear gear say 308, 323, 391...etc then get some decent street radials. After that start playing around with tire pressures and possibly installing a bag in the passenger side spring.
All this said you may get this car to launch straight as is. Inspect the bushings as mentioned. Install a bag in the passenger spring then play around with the bag and tire pressures. You might be surprised that it will go straight with little investment other than time. Next Id put different tires on it for traction say a drag(dot spec) street radial. If your still experiencing hop I can go into that later. I did a thorough write-up on that here. Search my name.