The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new member just sayin hi to eveyone cool place

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM

I'm with Allan, Make it safe to drive. Brakes are a nice thing to have working properly.How are the tires?
Old October 27th, 2012, 08:37 PM

Jaunty is NOT a mod and has been instructed to shape up and remove the misleading title. If not, i will change it to something else he won't like...

Sorry for the bad conduct in your intro jrod - welcome to the site...
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM

re

The master cylinder cap was leaking have all ready fix it and replaced the rubber lines and checked over the brakes. It stops really well. My plans are to relace the master cylinder soon and the brake booster also. The tires new i had then put on. My mechanical skills well lets just say i know what i am doing it is not my first project. I am a tech for a case ih agriculture dealer. I can do just about everything i need to do except painting. I am looking for some parts i need a trunk lid and a radiator support.
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jrod
The master cylinder cap was leaking have all ready fix it and replaced the rubber lines and checked over the brakes. It stops really well. My plans are to relace the master cylinder soon and the brake booster also. The tires new i had then put on. My mechanical skills well lets just say i know what i am doing it is not my first project. I am a tech for a case ih agriculture dealer. I can do just about everything i need to do except painting. I am looking for some parts i need a trunk lid and a radiator support.
Ok sounds good. With the OEM parts, do you have any rebuild and plating services nearby? I know it's cheaper to buy new parts. I wish I had kept my old BB/master cylinder and restored them instead of turfing them.

So this car has drums all around? Since you know your way around mechanical stuff, I'm sure you'll be able to handle most of the cars needs without much problem. Any chance you can take the car to the shop on the weekends and take advantage of the HD equipment/tools/presses etc there as an employee? THAT would be uber cool and handy.
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:34 AM
Lansing built

If Jrod is lucky he can! I work for a New Holland dealer (sister of Case/IH) aka Fiat AG. I have access to my shop any time that were not working!

Pat
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:10 PM

A shop manual and a factory assembly manual are two things everyone needs to have when working on one of these cars. They can answer many questions if you ever get hung up on a problem.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:13 PM

re

No it is a factory disc brakes car. So that is a plus that is one less thing i have to change out. Was it common for disc brakes on them. Im still tryin to find out information about oldsmobiles i have been in the chevy truck game. Mid 80's i have had over 20 of them. I can tell you anything about them. Im still have alot to learn about oldsmobiles. Yea i can use the shop i work at anytime i need to when we are closed. Where is the place you work at 1970cs. I work for H and R Agri-Power we have stores in kentucky, tennessee, alabama, and illinois 13 in all and growing.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM

tecar42

Where could i find a shop manual and a factory assembly manual at for my car? I have some old chiltons books from the late 60's and early 70's on gm cars. But i havent got alot into them yet. I have a qustion is the a separate fuse for the fan motor to work on high? Mine dosnt work on high i was told there was but havent had a chance to look for it yet.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:31 PM

Most any olds parts supplier should be able to supply you with them. Fusick has an assembly manual for 29.50 and a shop manual for $85. Shop manuals may be cheaper on Ebay.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM

ok thank you
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:02 AM
Lansing built

No it is a factory disc brakes car. So that is a plus that is one less thing i have to change out. Was it common for disc brakes on them. Im still tryin to find out information about oldsmobiles i have been in the chevy truck game. Mid 80's i have had over 20 of them. I can tell you anything about them. Im still have alot to learn about oldsmobiles. Yea i can use the shop i work at anytime i need to when we are closed. Where is the place you work at 1970cs. I work for H and R Agri-Power we have stores in kentucky, tennessee, alabama, and illinois 13 in all and growing.
Hi Jrod, I work for a single store operation by the name of Williams Farm Machinery out of Charlotte, MI. We also are a AGCO,Kubota, Kuhn/Knight and Simplcity dealer.
On your 71 Supreme it was an option for disc brakes. My 70 Supreme has the factory power disc brakes!
Also to help you along, until you get a service manual here is a link to wildaboutcars.com which is free to join and access!
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9920340732039.
Also attached are pics of my rig. BTW Welcome to C.O. besides some of the previous posts, there are quite a few people with great knowledge of Oldsmobiles and are willing to help you, including myself!

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image005.jpg (55.1 KB, 10 views)
Picture 001.jpg (75.6 KB, 12 views)
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Kudo's on living the dream, married, kids, own home, and an old car! By the way, I'm older, just not old.

For pictures:

If you click on the go advanced button, then click on the paperclip. Then click on one of the browse buttons and go to your pictures, click on your picture and hit save. Then it goes back to the mange pictures screen and click upload. You can load up to 5 pictures per post. When your done click on the close window. Then you can click on preview post and see if they are there. If everything is as you like then click on the submit reply, and your done.

Did I ever tell you that you have a nice car ? BTW .... NICE CAR !
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by jrod
had to use photobucket cuz it still wouldnt let me up load them. Tell me what yall thank.
very nice !!!!
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No it is a factory disc brakes car. Was it common for disc brakes on them. Im still tryin to find out information about oldsmobiles
The option for power front disc brakes was JL2 and cost a whopping 69.21 back then. I don't think it was 'common' for 71's to have discs; most of them were build with power drums as standard equipment. Wasn't till Jan of 72 that the 72 model year Cutlass line adopted the JL2 disc package as standard braking.

Where could i find a shop manual and a factory assembly manual at for my car? I have some old chiltons books from the late 60's and early 70's on gm cars. But i havent got alot into them yet. I have a qustion is the a separate fuse for the fan motor to work on high? Mine dosnt work on high i was told there was but havent had a chance to look for it yet.
Chiltons is very limited. The 1971 Olds CSM (Chassis Service Manual) and 71 Assembly Manual are golden resources for anyone with these cars. The 71 Fisher body Manual is kind of generic and covers most of the entire A, B, and C body line info.

I would seriously look on ebay - there are great deals for these at really good pricing. Ask the seller to ship using the book discount rate available in the US.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1971-71-Oldsm...ht_3574wt_1024
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1971-Oldsmobi...ht_1468wt_1024
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1971-OLDSMOBI...#ht_885wt_1024
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1971-Olds-Cut...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1971-Oldsmobi...ht_1720wt_1024

As you can see there's a lot out there. Just point and clik...
re: your fan speed. There is a high speed fan blower resistor that may be hatched. That's all in the CSM too.

Originally Posted by 1970cs
here is a link to wildaboutcars.com
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9920340732039.
I also use that site for some info. It's a source of quick access but I also like to have the original CSM. I find the pics in the CSM are much clearer than those that have been copied into WAC. It's an ok site but often hard to navigate and their search engine requires EXACT word / phrase recognition. Ever notice how some guys have sticky tabs on sections of books? That works great with hardcopy of the CSM or AM too.
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the help I have started taking apart my car I have been getting parts together. Hear are some pics on where I'm at fixing to pull the engine and crack it open. Front clip is off found a few things I didn't want to see but nothing that can't be fix.
Attached Images
image.jpg (73.1 KB, 20 views)
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM

I have more pics under my profile if y'all want to look at. It wouldn't let me put but one up sorry.
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

J-ROD,
If you use the Manage Attachments feature it will allow 5 pics. Did you hit the 'submit reply' before getting them all linked?
I looked at your profile album. Nice work tearing it down so far. You can definitely plunk those into the thread without much problems. I see what you mean about the hidden surprise under the battery tray. Actually that's not really a surprise, it's fairly common. Isn't that the dumbest way to fasten a battery tray you've ever seen??
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:13 PM

JRod-

WELCOME!

"Not into fart cans and imports"

I will overlook a LOT of missing periods and the like if you stick around and share your tales. And, I am a nit picker at times.

the place is beg enough for all, even those who, shall we say, take liberties with the punctuation and whatnot. If you improve, of course, we will all like it a lot, as it makes the tales easier to read.

Looks like a great find.

I have lots of parts bit no sheet metal left in MI.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:01 PM

Welcome Jrod! Car looks good.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Yea the core support is a little rusted out. I was able to find one from a buddy in my home town for 100 bucks. It is perfect he also had a par of fender also. Only metal I need now is a driver side floor pan and truck pan. Where is a good place to buy them at?
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Tony

Originally Posted by jrod
had to use photobucket cuz it still wouldnt let me up load them. Tell me what yall thank.
nice looking ride jrod welcome aboard!
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Tony

Yea the core support is a little rusted out. I was able to find one from a buddy in my home town for 100 bucks. It is perfect he also had a par of fender also. Only metal I need now is a driver side floor pan and truck pan. Where is a good place to buy them at?
yearone , opg