The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member from Reno NV area

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2011, 04:56 AM

New member from Reno NV area

Hello all,
My name is David Wrenn and I'm in the process of doing a rotisserie restoration on a 1967 442 convertible 4 speed. The car was originally Crystal Blue with a light blue interior and a white top. I bought it and a 67 442 hardtop donor car together about 15 or 16 years ago. I parted out the hardtop and stripped the interior and trim from the convertible and set it up on jack stands in my back yard. It has taken this long to get the money to start the restoration and a garage where I could store it when I'm done. I have quite a few duplicate parts and also others that I need. Most notably a correct rear end since my had a Pontiac put in it my the previous owners. I will try to put some pictures up. I think I might be able to help a little with the database on the cowl tags, so I will try to get a picture of it ASAP. In the meantime I'm posting a link to my Soundclick page where you can listen to the song I wrote about the car. It is called The Old Man's Oldsmobile. It isn't downloadable so this isn't an attempt to sell anything, I just thought some of you might enjoy an old rock and roller about our favorite car. I hope to be talking to and getting to know you all in the future on other threads.
Dave
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music
Dave
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Welcome aboard David, Sounds like a great porject
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Welcome to the site! Great story on the history of your car. Do you have any pictures you can share with us? John
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:21 AM

2blu442: I posted one in a new album of the car on jack stands waiting for restoration. I will try to get some of the process. Right now I have the body tub on a cart and the frame on the rotisserie. I am finished sand blasting the frame and as soon as I get it painted it will go onto jack stands and I'll put the body on the rotisserie. I'm not very tech savvy so I have to get my wife to help with downloading the pictures off the camera onto the computer. Hope to post more soon.
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Welcome and I LOVE THE SONG...sent links to my kids who think I'm a little nuts about my Olds and living my twentys again. Can't wait to follow your build and if you need any thing just let me know. I am finishing up my 67 Crystal blue hardtop and the guys on this site have been fantastic with advice and suggestions. Good luck!
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by David Wrenn
.... and also others that I need. Most notably a correct rear end since my had a Pontiac put in it my the previous owners..
Dave
Dave, are you sure you need another rear? If your car originally came with a 10 bolt rear (as did most of the '67 A-bodies), then it was a Pontiac (called a "P-type") rear. Almost all of the 4-speed 442s I've seen, and all of the W30s had P rears.
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM

wmachine: Dang I hope you are right! The guy that I bought the car from rescued it from a junk yard. He said he had to put in a different rear end and it had obviously been swapped out. The lower control arms weren't boxed and you could see where they cut into the sides of the mounts with a torch when they pulled it from the other car. It is a ten bolt posi and the code on the tube is SC. The part # is 9783393. If I can use this and have correct car I will be really really happy. Please let me know if this will pass judging. I don't have the build sheet but I have taken ample pictures and video that leave no doubt that the car was a virgin 442 before I started the restoration. The dash emblem was still on and badly worn as were the fender emblems. They could not be installed without removing the inner fenders and it was obvious that the original bolts were rusted in place. I also had two local experts check it out and they were both convinced that this car is not a clone. I appreciate any info that you can give me as far as what is correct for the car. I don't expect it to be a hundred point car but I'd like to stay as close as possible to a concurs restoration.
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Well, SC is the code for a 3.08 open, so if you do have a posi, then the carrier has already been swapped out and who knows what gears you have.
You can find the codes in the Chassis Service Manual among other places, and you can find the CSM on Wild About Cars.

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM

SC rear end

Wmachine;
I finished blasting the rear end and opened it up. The ring gear is stamped 39 11 GM JA66. I guess it is a 3:54. It has four spider gears and the wheels definitely turn in the same direction when you spin one or the other so it must be a posi. I will have Mike, my go to gear guy, go through it and he'll be able to tell me for sure what type of posi it has. It looks very clean and turns smoothly but was leaking out of the front. Mike is also going through the 4 speed and will determine for sure if it is a wide or close ratio. If it is the usual wide ratio I might stick with the 3:54 and just restamp the tubes. It is probably as close as I'm going to come to original What do you think?
Dave
Old December 15th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by David Wrenn
Wmachine;
I finished blasting the rear end and opened it up. The ring gear is stamped 39 11 GM JA66. I guess it is a 3:54. It has four spider gears and the wheels definitely turn in the same direction when you spin one or the other so it must be a posi. I will have Mike, my go to gear guy, go through it and he'll be able to tell me for sure what type of posi it has. It looks very clean and turns smoothly but was leaking out of the front. Mike is also going through the 4 speed and will determine for sure if it is a wide or close ratio. If it is the usual wide ratio I might stick with the 3:54 and just restamp the tubes. It is probably as close as I'm going to come to original What do you think?
Dave
That's a 3.55 for sure. Should look just like this.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-sj-code.html
So it looks like somebody did you a favor and stuck in a good carrier and gears!
No need to restamp anything.