The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New owner 1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday Coupe

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2022, 12:32 PM

New owner 1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday Coupe

Hi, I'm not a brand new member, I've owned a 1966 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 4 door Celebrity sedan for 15 years and last year buy the version Delta 88 Holiday Coupe, 425cui HC 310hp 2bll engine (TH400, A/C, deluxe steering wheel, el. windows, el. six way seats and a white vinyl roof .. it was a C08 option, but I did not find it in the dealer books and price lists for the Delta 88 version (for the 1966 model, I found it as an extra option only for the 98 and Cutlass Supreme) but it was clearly available, for the Delta 88 version I saw it live only here, but on the Internet about 4 cars were always in black (only white and black were on offer), I think vinyl roofs were popular already at the end of the 60s. Actual waitting parts from fucick.com and I'm waiting to change the brake cylinder.
Sorry my english not perfect i am from Europe :-)

Last edited by LuckyLuke; July 9th, 2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old July 9th, 2022, 12:37 PM

Very nice car, enjoy it and drive it many miles!

If it is original, that TH400 is a switch pitch/variable vane torque converter.

Keep the old brake master cylinder, it is probably original and can be rebuilt.

Good luck!!!
Old July 9th, 2022, 01:01 PM
Oldsdruid

I think the vinyl top was added later, and that was actually pretty common in US in 60s and 70s. A good way to tell is to remove the top edge molding and look at the trim clip studs. If they look like Phillips head screws, odds are good the top is an aftermarket installation. If the stud heads are flat probably a factory installation.

Paint code DD is Lucerne Mist upper and lower body color. Even if the car had come with a painted roof, the upper body color code would have been different.

Handsome car whether it came with VT or not.

Have you figured out how to correct the choke linkage yet? Looks like at some point in time that carb was disassembled down to removing the choke plate and shaft and it was reassembled wrong.
Old July 9th, 2022, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I think the vinyl top was added later, and that was actually pretty common in US in 60s and 70s. A good way to tell is to remove the top edge molding and look at the trim clip studs. If they look like Phillips head screws, odds are good the top is an aftermarket installation. If the stud heads are flat probably a factory installation.

Paint code DD is Lucerne Mist upper and lower body color. Even if the car had come with a painted roof, the upper body color code would have been different.

Have you figured out how to correct the choke linkage yet? Looks like at some point in time that carb was disassembled down to removing the choke plate and shaft and it was reassembled wrong.
yes, someone rebuild the carburettor in the past, it's beautifully clean, but unfortunately the pull rod was installed backwards, I'll try to replace it (the rod is tapped in the storage to hold it) or I have exactly the same 2bll but on the version without A/C, but it should work just the same, it turns out that the only thing is that the carburettor for cars with A/C is adapted to a warmer climate (the car is from CA)

Last edited by LuckyLuke; July 9th, 2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old July 9th, 2022, 01:18 PM

the decorative leaf holders for the vinyl roof are rectangular snap-on
Old July 9th, 2022, 01:21 PM

That is a beautiful car, I'm sure you will get a lot of looks and will enjoy driving it. I love the color, and the long sleek appearance. Have fun!

Steve
Old July 9th, 2022, 01:23 PM

Bad instalation choke line TANG ( actual in car )

This is correct "tang" .. my second 2bll carburator
Old July 9th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Beautiful car
Old July 9th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Hmm just a guess, the first picture- the black stat cover/spring assist is turned way to far to the right-(clockwise)-see where it says lean-rich, that should be to the left of the top screw where the groves ( markers for choke adjustment) in the housing. So that tells me that there's a chance that the spring inside the choke cover is not connected to the choke plate inside the choke. In other words if you loosen the 3 screws just a little so you can turn the black cover you should be able to feel some spring tension. Just a thought, I'm rebuilding a carb as we speak.
Old July 9th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

As Glenn correctly points out, RPO C08 was not available on any model in the Eighty Eight line in the 1966 model year, and the cowl tag clearly shows that this car came from the factory painted Lucerne Mist upper and lower body color. I'm curious how you fitted the Cutlass SuperStock wheels. From the factory the D88 had a 5 x 5" bolt pattern. The SSII/III wheels are 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern. Are you using adapters?
Old July 9th, 2022, 05:41 PM

Welcome! Very nice.
Old July 9th, 2022, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As Glenn correctly points out, RPO C08 was not available on any model in the Eighty Eight line in the 1966 model year, and the cowl tag clearly shows that this car came from the factory painted Lucerne Mist upper and lower body color. I'm curious how you fitted the Cutlass SuperStock wheels. From the factory the D88 had a 5 x 5" bolt pattern. The SSII/III wheels are 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern. Are you using adapters?

That's what I thought, but the C08 extra option is listed as possible for 1966 models according to the original "1966 Oldsmobile Dealer book" ? I have nothing to compare it to, but it looks so nice on the car that I think it is a factory installation. When the time comes, I'll try to remove the rear seat if I can't find a "build sheet"

yes, there are adapters for changing the spacing, I like these wheels for the Delta 88 (I have the original steel ones with the original covers for the car - 8 pieces in total)

Old July 10th, 2022, 05:44 AM

Very, very nice car. Love the color combo any how. Lucerne Mist is my favorite 66 color.

Thanks

Wayne
Old July 10th, 2022, 07:23 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Beautiful Delta 88! The "SSII/III" wheels look great on your car as does the vinyl top!
Old July 12th, 2022, 11:44 AM

I started looking for the buildsheet today, but no luck. In the usual places (the inside of the front fenders, the underside of the seats) there is still nothing under the carpet, but I haven't removed it yet.
According to the BC code, the car was manufactured at the Southgate CA assembly plant ?
Code 04E is the 4th week of May 1966?
I replaced both front hood and rear trunk light bulbs and they are now shining :-) Otherwise, as far as I understand, the car has additional equipment:
A31 electric windows
A39 seat belts
A42 6 way electric seats
A91 trunk lid latch
C60 air conditioner four season
D31 mirror glareproof rearview
J50 power brakes
M40 transmission TH400
N40 power steering
P29 tires 8.55x14 ( option C60 )
U35 electric clock
U63 Radio deluxe
Y60 lamps and mirrors
Y76 engine cooling equipment ( option C60 )

Original brochures :-)

Last edited by LuckyLuke; July 12th, 2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old July 12th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by LuckyLuke

That's what I thought, but the C08 extra option is listed as possible for 1966 models according to the original "1966 Oldsmobile Dealer book" ? I have nothing to compare it to, but it looks so nice on the car that I think it is a factory installation. When the time comes, I'll try to remove the rear seat if I can't find a "build sheet"

yes, there are adapters for changing the spacing, I like these wheels for the Delta 88 (I have the original steel ones with the original covers for the car - 8 pieces in total)
Well, this is interesting. The 1966 Inspector's Guide, which is dated Aug 26, 1965, shows availability only on the 3839 body style (the Cutlass Supreme Holiday Sedan) and the 8669 body style (the Ninety Eight Luxury Sedan). I've also attached an undated 1966 F85 order form that also shows C08 only available on the 3839 body style. The Color Selector you showed is dated Dec 1965, so it's certainly possible that the applicability of C08 was expanded after the model year started. Now I'll have to research this further. Thanks for posting that.

Old July 12th, 2022, 12:14 PM

Beautiful car. Previous owner(s) really took care of her. When you have time take some pics of the interior. The only option you need to add is a gun rack in the rear window for a Kalashnikov 🤣
Old July 12th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK, clearly it was a mid-year change to add the availability of C08 across the model lines. Here's a build sheet from a 1966 442 from the Fremont plant that clearly shows C08. Apologies for the bad info earlier, and thanks for making us research this more. Just note that paint code on the cowl tag on your car proves that it came from the factory without a vinyl top.

Old July 12th, 2022, 12:17 PM

I can't decide whether the vinyl roof is original from the factory or added later, according to the information from the sales brochure of the time, order it for the Delta 88 1966 model under the code C08, but it looks like the roof under it is painted in the color of the car (code DD), I am attaching today's photos under the leaves.

Old July 12th, 2022, 12:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

I can't decide whether the vinyl roof is original from the factory or added later, according to the information from the sales brochure of the time, order it for the Delta 88 1966 model under the code C08, but it looks like the roof under it is painted in the color of the car (code DD), I am attaching today's photos under the leaves.
There's nothing to decide. The "D D" paint code on your car's cowl tag PROVES that it came from the factory with the roof painted. Had this been a factory vinyl top car, the second character of the paint code would have been a digit, not a letter. And per the color booklet you posted, the only available vinyl top colors for 1966 were black (which would have been paint code "D 2" on your cowl tag) or beige (which would have been paint code "D 6"). White was not an option.
Old July 12th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bobs72
Beautiful car. Previous owner(s) really took care of her. When you have time take some pics of the interior. The only option you need to add is a gun rack in the rear window for a Kalashnikov 🤣

the interior is super warm without a fault (only someone additionally installed a cycle wiper)

Old July 12th, 2022, 12:39 PM

There's nothing to decide. The "D D" paint code on your car's cowl tag PROVES that it came from the factory with the roof painted. Had this been a factory vinyl top car, the second character of the paint code would have been a digit, not a letter. And per the color booklet you posted, the only available vinyl top colors for 1966 were black (which would have been paint code "D 2" on your cowl tag) or beige (which would have been paint code "D 6"). White was not an option.
Joe, thanks for the confirmation, I also think the vinyl roof was added later, even my sales brochure "Oldsmobile 1966 Fleet brochure" does not mention the C08 option for models other than the Olds Supreme and 98 ... but the vinyl roof is done nicely, I am surprised by the chrome leaves how well they fit (maybe there was a aftermarket manufacturer that made primo roofs for these models)
Old July 12th, 2022, 01:14 PM

I like the vinyl top on this car. I’m less learned than all of you, but I’d put my money on this being an aftermarket addition.

The rivets holding the plastic trim retainers don’t look factory. I believe Olds would have used welded in studs to hold the trim retainers in ‘66. Also, most all the vinyl they used in ‘66, they called “Morroceen” or similar marketing name. That grain is more commonly known as Madrid grain in the upholstery world. Finally that center retainer mating the 2 pieces of trim wouldn’t have been done by GM this way - they would have made one side or the other the keeper and have the opposite side slip into it, like you see above.

If ever you want to replace the vinyl, I’d go for Madrid White or Madrid Off white per your preference. But for now, drive & enjoy that great car!

Chris
Old July 13th, 2022, 12:34 AM

I know there is an not complete list of Oldsmobile dealers codes:
My Oldsmobile Delta 88 1966 was sold here: Selling dealer code no. 23-520
Apparently in California, can anyone find out the name of the dealership by the code?
Thanks
Old July 13th, 2022, 01:38 PM

And per the color booklet you posted, the only available vinyl top colors for 1966 were black (which would have been paint code "D 2" on your cowl tag) or beige (which would have been paint code "D 6")
H

ere is my 66 LS December build trim tag. Yes it came with a whitish vinyl top, was amazed to see that under the front and back glass moldings thick metal staples thru the channel holding the top in place.
Old July 13th, 2022, 06:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
H

ere is my 66 LS December build trim tag. Yes it came with a whitish vinyl top, was amazed to see that under the front and back glass moldings thick metal staples thru the channel holding the top in place.
"6" was beige, not exactly white. White would have been a "1"
Old February 28th, 2023, 04:52 AM

I had the original steel disc sandblasted and painted. The 1966 Delta 88 model had standard tires in size 8.25x14 (version without air conditioning) or 8.55x14 (version with air conditioning - my car has AC) Is my conversion to radial tire 8.55x14 = 225/75/R14 correct?
Thanks guys
Old February 28th, 2023, 04:55 AM

I had the original steel disc sandblasted and painted. The 1966 Delta 88 model had standard tires in size 8.25x14 (version without air conditioning) or 8.55x14 (version with air conditioning - my car has AC) Is my conversion to radial tire 8.55x14 = 225/75/R14 correct?
Thanks guys
The 225-75 14 tire is obsolete in the USA. 215 75 14 are still available or you can get reproduction tires from Coker but are very expensive.
Old February 28th, 2023, 05:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks guys
Not quite the same, but your options are limited. The 8.55x14 OEM tires had an 8.50" section width and a 27.94" outside diameter. 225/75-14 tires would have an 8.86" section width and a 27.29" outside diameter. Short of buying repro 8.55x14 bias ply tires, that's about the best you can do.
Old February 28th, 2023, 09:59 AM

can I buy new Kontio tires in size 225/75/R14 with a wide 2¾ white stripe, or can I buy American Classic in size 215/75/R14 with a narrow stripe (the wider 225 is not made)

I don't know if a wide stripe is suitable for 2HT .. in the mid-60s there were rather narrow stripes.
Old February 28th, 2023, 10:11 AM

can I buy new Kontio tires in size 225/75/R14 with a wide 2¾ white stripe, or can I buy American Classic in size 215/75/R14 with a narrow stripe (the wider 225 is not made)

I don't know if a wide stripe is suitable for 2HT .. in the mid-60s there were rather narrow stripes.
My opinion is the wide white walls dont look good on a 66.... but you could have the tires mounted with the white not facing out....
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:06 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by 67OAI
Beautiful Delta 88! The "SSII/III" wheels look great on your car as does the vinyl top!
Yes , love these 2 door models. And the wheels look awesome on the car.
Old March 9th, 2023, 09:46 AM

Smile

Not quite the same, but your options are limited. The 8.55x14 OEM tires had an 8.50" section width and a 27.94" outside diameter. 225/75-14 tires would have an 8.86" section width and a 27.29" outside diameter. Short of buying repro 8.55x14 bias ply tires, that's about the best you can do.
Joe,
Please explain why the full size models of the year 1966 Oldsmobile DYNAMIC 88, DELTA 88, STARFIRE use 5x5 spacing and the only JETSTAR 88 uses 4.75x5? The weight of the full size models will be quite similar, this is due to the smaller and less powerful 330cui engine vs. 425cui?
Thanks
Old March 9th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,
Please explain why the full size models of the year 1966 Oldsmobile DYNAMIC 88, DELTA 88, STARFIRE use 5x5 spacing and the only JETSTAR 88 uses 4.75x5? The weight of the full size models will be quite similar, this is due to the smaller and less powerful 330cui engine vs. 425cui?
Thanks
The J88 was the low-cost loss leader of the B-body line. It used the smaller and lighter 330 and Jetaway trans vs. the heavier 425 and TH400. As part of this Olds used the smaller A-body 9.5" drum brakes and the lighter 8.2" A-body rear axle. J88s were also relatively low content, so also less total weight. Note that the same year Impalas used the smaller brakes and bolt pattern as well.
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:00 AM

The J88 was the low-cost loss leader of the B-body line. It used the smaller and lighter 330 and Jetaway trans vs. the heavier 425 and TH400. As part of this Olds used the smaller A-body 9.5" drum brakes and the lighter 8.2" A-body rear axle. J88s were also relatively low content, so also less total weight. Note that the same year Impalas used the smaller brakes and bolt pattern as well.
Thanks for the info, so the reason was lower production costs. On my 1966 DELTA 88, the previous owner used adapters from 5x5 to 4.75x5 on the wheels due to Cutlass SS II / SSIII wheels . The question is safety and whether the change in spacing can affect other parameters (shock absorbers, bearings)
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for the info, so the reason was lower production costs. On my 1966 DELTA 88, the previous owner used adapters from 5x5 to 4.75x5 on the wheels due to Cutlass SS II / SSIII wheels . The question is safety and whether the change in spacing can affect other parameters (shock absorbers, bearings)
Yes and yes. Pushing the wheels outboard hurts steering geometry and increases loads on wheel bearings.
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:14 AM

Yes and yes. Pushing the wheels outboard hurts steering geometry and increases loads on wheel bearings.
am now faced with a decision, to return the refurbished original steel discs and new radial tires in the size 215/75r14 (the correct size was 8.55x14 diagonal = 225/75r14 but those with a narrow strip are not available in Europe) or to remove the adapters from the car and buy completely new ones 15" wheels with a pitch of 5x5 suitable for 235-245/60r15 tires that would fit the 1966 DELTA 88 2HT body. Alternatively, disc suggestions

Last edited by LuckyLuke; March 9th, 2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 15x7 steel wheels used on the 1977-1990 GM B-body wagons (Custom Cruiser, Caprice wagon, etc) are 5 x 5" and will clear any future disc brake upgrades if you are so inclined. Not sure how easy it is to find these in Europe.
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:43 AM

The 15x7 steel wheels used on the 1977-1990 GM B-body wagons (Custom Cruiser, Caprice wagon, etc) are 5 x 5" and will clear any future disc brake upgrades if you are so inclined. Not sure how easy it is to find these in Europe.
sorry, I meant the new 15" aluminum wheels
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

sorry, I meant the new 15" aluminum wheels
I have American Racing TTOs on my 67 Delta.

Quick Reply: New owner 1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday Coupe