The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie 1965 442 owner.

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2020, 07:48 PM

Newbie 1965 442 owner.

Fellow Classic Oldsmobile enthusiasts.
As the recent owner of a 1965 442 Holiday Coupe I am looking forward to reading, learning and sharing with all of you on all aspects of owning, restoring, looking at and most of all cruising in the 1965 Oldsmobile 442.
I have had a passion for this year of 442 ever since my older brother Walt bought a new one in 1965.

My brother Walts 1965 Holiday Coupe taken in 1965 when I was 14 years old. I loved that 442.

First picture on 9-28-19 with my grandchildren Allie, Owen, me, Ethan and my daughter Sara.

Taking ownership of my 442 out of the storage garage from the previous owner standing in the background.

Last edited by Jerry51; January 21st, 2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old January 18th, 2020, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site and congrats. We do like to see pictures.
Old January 18th, 2020, 08:21 PM

Nice, Like the old school look......
Old January 18th, 2020, 09:32 PM
same but different

Hi Jerry. Looks great! Welcome to the site.
Old January 18th, 2020, 09:42 PM

Welcome to C.O. Nice car, enjoy it.
Old January 20th, 2020, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the welcome and comments. I joined this forum because I have never owned a classic car and so was searching for just this kind of forum. I have no experience with repairs and restoration of this nature. One thing I am finding out quickly is parts are not easy to find.
I replaced the radiator soon after I bought the car. I knew it was leaking when I bought it but thought I would just get it repaired. Could not find any radiator repairs shops here in Michigan so ended up buying a new one from OPGI. Was quite expensive. Prior to winter storage I filled the gas tank with plans to put either Stabil or Sea Foam in the tank. On the way home the odor of gas was quite strong. Looks like the tank is leaking but do not see anything obvious with fuel line connections. Dropping the tank will be next project. Looking forward to sharing this project with all of you and am sure I will be reaching out for advice, counsel and help. Glad to be a new member of C.O.
Old January 20th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. You'll find that the 64-65 cars are unfortunately not well supported by the repro vendors. Body and trim parts are nearly nonexistent. On the other hand, most mechanical parts are readily available from places like RockAuto. US Radiator sells copper and aluminum direct fit radiators for these cars. Radiator repair shops are nearly non-existent anymore. The only one near me is an hour away.
Old January 20th, 2020, 01:57 PM

http://ferndaleradiator.com/

Mel is a great dude, if you ever need a radiator redone take it there. He specializes in older style rads. And congrats Jerry, its because of you my 65 was on the cover of MCR.

Tell everyone about how you rode in John Molnars Rund's Tornado back in the day,
Old January 20th, 2020, 02:11 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Very sharp...
Old January 20th, 2020, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry51
Could not find any radiator repairs shops here in Michigan so ended up buying a new one from OPGI.
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Radiator repair shops are nearly non-existent anymore. The only one near me is an hour away.
I find this interesting. There are two radiator repair shops within 10 minutes of my house. One of them did the repair on the radiator for my '78 Toro (put the existing tanks on a new core) as no new radiators for second-gen Toros are made (that I've ever found).

The first one did the job on mine. The second one even has an obligatory old car out front.

They both do gas tanks, too.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 20th, 2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 20th, 2020, 04:11 PM

Very NICE early A-body. Have fun....
Old January 20th, 2020, 05:01 PM

Looks like a really nice car. Body parts are hard to come by, but you will probably have the only one at the local cruise nite! Would like to replace the pizza box hood when money allows. Lol

Old January 21st, 2020, 04:10 AM

repair shops

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I find this interesting. There are two radiator repair shops within 10 minutes of my house. One of them did the repair on the radiator for my '78 Toro (put the existing tanks on a new core) as no new radiators for second-gen Toros are made (that I've ever found).

The first one did the job on mine. The second one even has an obligatory old car out front.

They both do gas tanks, too.

You will find shops to work on old cars, where old cars dont turn to rust.
Old January 21st, 2020, 04:36 AM

Welcome fellow Michigander!! Very nice car.
Old January 21st, 2020, 04:39 AM

Welcome aboard
Old January 21st, 2020, 08:17 AM

My first meeting with the 1965 442.

Thank you TK-65. I hope to see you or talk with you soon as I know you are the professor of all things 65 442.
Here is the John Molnar story that left a life long impression on a 13 year kid growing up in the Motor City.
In 1964 my older brother Walt was the owner of a beautiful 1958 Chevy Impala. 348cu with “3 on the tree”. All his friends were getting new cars. 64 SS Chevelle, 64 Ford Galaxie, 65 SS Impala, 65 Plymouth Belvedere, 64 GTO. What a time that was for a 13 year old kid who loved the smell of burning rubber and the sound a banging gears. My brother Walt wanted something different. He was looking. One day brought home a 60 Impala convertible that he liked. My dad shot it down. Said he was not signing for a convertible. It was nice but I also was not at fan of convertibles. Since my dad had to co-sign he had the last word. Then one day John Molnar a friend of my brothers pulls up in front of the house with a brand new 1965 Olds 442. Of course since I was Walt’s shadow I was out in front of the house right behind him. John came over to show Walt this car he just got from Rund Olds. Seems John raced at Detroit Dragway and in those days car dealers sponsored select guys that raced at the strip. Right off I noticed the slicks and the front end raised a little and a curious thing I never saw before. The inner headlights were missing and what looked to be huge tubes in their place. John opened the hood and there was this massive air clearer with these huge tubes coming out and connecting to where the inner headlights were. My introduction to Ram Air.
As we walked around and looked the car over, me with open mouth and bulging eyes John asked Walt if he wants to go for a ride. Walt turns to me and says you want to go. With my heart in my throat all I could do was nod my head as I jumped in the back seat. Walt tells John to go to ID road. Short for Industrial Rd. A place where there was just warehouses near railroad tracks for semi’s to load or offload everything made or shipped into Detroit. The Motor City. This road was straight, long and smooth. The local drag strip of Friday, Saturday nights. Well John rides down to the end of the street and makes a U turn and slowly rolling along in 1st gear he flat out gets on it, winding out 1st, and full out banging thru the gears. To this day I still get goose bumps recalling that ride of a lifetime. No amusement park could ever compare to the rush and thrill of that ride. I had rode in Walts 58 when he went thru the gears. I had seen the 65 Impala do burnouts. I had laid in my bed at night with the window open and heard Ron tearing down our street in his 64 GTO. Our house was 2nd gear from the bar down the street. But nothing, nothing compared to being thrown back in the seat like this run that John just gave us. It was love at first sight for this 13 year old kid. I know Walt was impressed. From that day on my mission was to convince my brother Walt to get his own 65 442. That worn out black and white picture I posted of Walts Forest Green, no ps, no pb (robbed power he said) 65 442 was a dream come true for a 14 year old kid growing up in the Motor City. A dream that has been with me for 54 years until this past September when I finally was able to get my own 65 Holiday Coupe 442. To finally own one of the finest street machines from the greatest era of street machines ever to come out of Detroit.
Old January 21st, 2020, 09:37 AM

Sweet memories guys. A picture of my 65 maroon "post car". circa 1972 just dropped a 425 in. In the picture is the left rear qtr. of my 69 Grand Prix J model. The helmet belonged to my buddy that came over on his 900 CC Sportster.

Old January 21st, 2020, 02:10 PM

Glad you enjoyed the story. I thought maybe it is a bit much but every one has a story about their love for cars whatever it may be. I love hearing them. There is another chapter to my brother Walt’s 65. Just not a good chapter. Hopefully my 65 will start a new chapter. Whatever it is I am looking forward to it and excited to be sharing it with my grandsons.

I was checking ultra high compression from time to time looking for info on the F-85. I saw your dad at a car show this past summer and he said the project was almost done. I knew it would be breathtaking. Love the 65 your dad has.
You know I have wanted one for years and remember you telling me some years ago after a few I looked at fell thru that if it is meant to be I will find one. After my dear wife passed in 2009 I lost interest but my grandsons kept the dream alive. I remember after one in New Jersey fell thru in 2005-06 time frame when the guy sold it after telling me it was mine. My wife said to me. You will get one, I promise. I did not forget her words.
Well I have my own now but feel quite overwhelmed. This one is rough and looks like my grandsons put it together. I let my emotions get the best of me but it is what it is. At my age there were not many chances left. Hopefully I can at least get the mechanicals in order to have a reliable daily summer driver. I have much to tell you as my 442 has a 350 Chevy engine but I have a 400 and a 425. Both unfinished. Looking forward to talking to you and seeing this beauty at the autorama. I know my grandsons will love it as much as I already do. Thank you for providing your number.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:08 PM

Congrats on your 65 442, have fun with it. It will melt away 50 odd years every time you get behind the wheel.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:29 PM

Congrats on the “new” car, and awesome story. I remember being 14 and getting a ride in my buddy’s cousins 67 Camaro with a 327 and a 4 speed. Those kinda memories stick with you forever.
Old January 24th, 2020, 06:49 PM

Wow, what a beautiful '65. Now there are at least 2 awesome red 65's in Metro Detroit. Here's a pic of my brothers '65 from Waterford, he's had it since 1978. It's a Cutlass Holiday coupe with buckets and console. I painted it in our ma's garage back in '86 with lacquer, she's getting pretty rough now, doesn't drive it much due to health issues. Hope to see you on Woodward or one of the other great shows in the area.

Here's a pic of my '65 circa 1984, wish I had it back.

Last edited by ragz442; January 24th, 2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added pic of my car
Old January 24th, 2020, 07:38 PM

My SOLD 65 442. just posting pics of it.
Gerald

Old January 25th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Kjr442

What a great story. Congratulations on a great 65 Oldsmobile.
Old August 4th, 2020, 06:36 PM

Muncie 4 speed

Hello fellow 442 owners and enthusiasts. Been a while since I posted anything. Laying low the past months like most everyone. I did go to the Downriver Cruise with my grandsons and a few friends. Was nice to get out and there was quite a turn out of people cruising and tearing up Fort St. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about this 65. Previous owner only told me that it sat in some guys yard or garage in Wyandotte and he bugged the guy for years to sell it. Four years ago the guy had health issues and decided to sell. Other then that I do not have any history on the car. I do spend much time on the 442Bro site and Jason Ramsey’s Ultrahighcompression site. Two valuable resources about anything 442. Especially 1965. I have tried researching the VIN number but did not get anywhere with that. For now I will just keep trying to learn as much as I can about the 65 442 and what I have on this car that is original and what true condition this car is in. It is quite rough even in my inexperienced eyes.
The casting number on the Muncie trans is 3851325 from what I could find online is a 64-65 trans. The spline has one ring on it so if understand what I have been finding and what I read is correct this is an M21 close ratio. Dumped some trans lube taking the trans off and in the process of cleaning the trans itself. One of the drawbacks of not having much knowledge about working on a car of this age. I read that only 80w or 90w GL-4 lube should be used and synthetic or other lube could damage the synchro’s. Had much trouble finding the recommended Valvoline or Penzoil gear oil but found NAPA carries 80w-90 gear oil and shows on the bottle that it is made by Vavoline for NAPA and meets the GL-4, GL-5 standard.
I am wondering if I should drain all the gear oil out and replace with new or whether I should just top off what is in the trans. If draining all I am not certain how many quarts I will need. I read online 4 quarts. Not even certain the best method to drain the existing gear lube. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.