The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

"Newbie Oldsmobiler from New York"

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Red face "Newbie Oldsmobiler from New York"

Dear Fellow Oldsmobile Owners & Enthusiasts:
It is a pleasure to be on board celebrating one of the finest automobiles that GM ever offered ! It is too bad that GM strayed from the formula that worked ! From the Early Rocket V-8's, to the original 442 in 1964, to "Doctor Oldsmobile" in the 1970's, Olds has been a world-class leader in the auto industry. I am glad that I am part of it by owning, & purchasing Oldsmobiles...& I always encourage My friends & colleagues to do the same...Treat Yourself to an Olds, & You will say "Thank You" to Yourself.
I currently own a 1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Wagon...(I know, did I detect a yawn ?) No...wait...give it a chance...It is still an Olds & has been one of the best cars I've ever owned...& Wagons are gaining popularity ! Being a former detail-man, I do My best to keep it presentable.
I have previously owned a 1968 Olds Cutlass Convertible, A 1966 Jetstar 88, A 1966 Delta 88, A 1969 Delta 88, A 1969 Olds 98, A 1970 Olds 98, a 1974 Olds 98, A 1982 Regency, & probably a host of others in between that My memory escapes...
So why put an end to one of the best selling & best built cars in America ( And Canada ) -?--?-...The way I evaluate the situation is that GM executives, in many cases such as these, Do not share our common interests in fine automobiles, & now they are putting the ax on Pontiac...What's next ? I am scared to ask...-Why get a shoemaker or a baker to run an automotive company ? I do not know...However, We had better ask GM !...If we do not put an an end to the "One size fits all format",
then consumers may be driving golf carts to work. We need "car nuts & enthusiasts" in the High office's at GM & in the design studio ! We are paying big bucks for a circus that we did not order... Food for thought ! Think about it...
While others may be driving their T****a's...No Thanks, I'd rather drive an Olds ! At least I will know that I am driving not only a car...a legacy !
Good Day To all, & let's restore them, drive them, & enjoy them so that others can see how great they truely are...Cheers, & A great day to all !
Thank You for reading, & I hope to chit-chat with many more of my fellow Olds enthusiasts, ... Maybe... together, we could bring back Oldsmobile ! Never say never !...All things are possible ! Thanks again for letting Me share with all !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0162.jpg (64.3 KB, 24 views)
IMAG0137.jpg (56.8 KB, 11 views)
IMAG0123.jpg (58.5 KB, 21 views)
IMAG0271.JPG (74.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by MyOldsMan; February 15th, 2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well welcome to our site! Nice to have another Olds lover join up with us!! Nothing wrong with a wagon - it's still an Olds! We have quite a few wagon owners on the site. I just bought a T****a Rav4 - I call it my "tin can", lol .... first time I've owned anything but an Olds. Still have my 2001 Intrigue though, which my daughter is driving now. And she better be taking care of it! Brought me a 2nd place plaque at the Olds show this past summer! I work hard on keeping her nice.

I need to find a job detailing cars..... I would love it, lol!
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:39 AM

My Olds Man reply

Thank You so very much ! It is well appreciated ! By the way, Did My pictures post ? I cannot tell, so please let Me know, if You would. Detailing is one of My passions, as well as glass tinting, as I used to be an installer for 3-M, till My health took a dip. Please write back... & Thanks again !

-My Olds Man-
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Welcome to CO, MyOldsMan! So, what's wrong with wagons???? LOL! Glad you are here, and please enjoy.
Attached Images
P5230088.JPG (105.3 KB, 6 views)
P8160150.jpg (108.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Aron Nance; February 15th, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM

My Olds Man reply

Nothing wrong with wagons, My Friend, & judging from the pics, You have some very nice ones Yourself ! Great cars ! Multi-functional & big fun ! Almost like "The Family Limousine" on a shoe-string budget. I, once again, wish that GM would have been of a "bigger & smarter mind", & continue building them. Thanks so much for the reply ! I no longer feel like an orphan. I have an Oldsmobile Family ! Do take care.
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Cutlass Lover

Where are you located, MyOldsMan?? Yep your pics posted just fine! My sister always had those big old "land yacht" Oldsmobiles! I had a few Delta 88's myself. Nothing like the ride of the big olds! We are a close family here. we have a lot of fun and laughs! We just lost a dear member of our family , so we're glad you joined us!
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Welcome. Another one to the fold.
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Where are you located, MyOldsMan?? Yep your pics posted just fine! My sister always had those big old "land yacht" Oldsmobiles! I had a few Delta 88's myself. Nothing like the ride of the big olds! We are a close family here. we have a lot of fun and laughs! We just lost a dear member of our family , so we're glad you joined us!
I am located in Cheektowaga, New York, a suburb of Buffalo, New York, minutes away from the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport, & minutes away from the Canadian border, where most of My Family members are from. My Grandpa came from Wales, moved to Canada, & got a job in the states, at Chevrolet, so GM is kind of in Our blood, Eh ?
Too bad I could not climb the corporate ladder at GM, Because if I did, Oldsmobile (& Pontiac) would not fall to the ax of corporate GM !...
On the subject of Pontiac, & I hope that I am NOT weaving far away from the Oldsmobile page & quilt, there is a web-site currently that people can actually Vote to save Pontiac Motor Division:
It is as follows, & I would encourage anyone to go into it, & vote to Save Pontiac, as it is NOT totally "carved in stone just yet". It is as follows:

www.savingpontiac.org/joinus.html

Once again, I am hoping that nobody will object to My telling You of this, However, since Pontiac is still part of the GM family, I am hoping that it is okay & not a problem..."IF" it is "please delete this", as I am not trying to "Rock the Boat" or in this case, Not trying to "Rock the Rocket". I am hoping that it will serve to inform. We should all try to help one another.

I only wish that "We" could develop a web-site with an electronic vote to "Resurrect Oldsmobile" ! More food for thought !

You have My deepest condolences on Your loss.

Your thoughts ? Please write back & let Me know. -MyOldsMan-

Last edited by MyOldsMan; February 15th, 2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Thanks so much. It is a pleasure to be on board ! Hope to do much more interacting !
Thanks again !
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO and there is nothing in the world wrong with a long roof, a 4 door, a big C body or a B body car. I love em all if they have a rocket emblem on the hood or fender, or a globe if older....
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM

My Olds Man reply

Dear Olds Guy:
Thank You for the kudos on joining the site ! I couldn't agree more...As long as it is an Olds, It is a great car & cruiser. Luxery, performance, elegance ! That says it all ! Thanks again.
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM

I love that big 98
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM

My Olds Man reply

Hi Trip Dueces, & Thanks. I really like both of My Olds 98's & I miss them with reverence. I had to sell them off in an effort to "save the farm" so to speak, as I was falling victim to Mortgage meltdown. I managed to save the house via a loan modification, However, I would be lying if I said that I don't think about My Oldsmobiles... On the positive they both went to very good homes, so I am thankful for that. As I look into "my crystal ball" I see myself looking to find...& buy, another Olds 98 Coupe'...I just love 'em ! Thanks again...Good to see someone with a good eye for great cars !
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Registered

Welcome.

So... I take it you like Oldsmobiles?
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:41 AM

My Olds Man reply

Good Morning, BlueVista:
Absolutely !...I do love Oldsmobiles, & from the looks of that "Beautiful Blue Beauty" I see that You do too ! If I were ever "Blessed enough" financially, I would no doubt have a warehouse full of them. I love these cars & recognize Great quality when I see it... That is why "I cannot understand GM being "so stupid" as to drop the whole line-up ???" Yeah, they dropped the whole line-up, of course, & now they want to drop PONTIAC ! Are they insane ? (Yes !)
...Discontinue "some" models, NOT the whole line-up !
Perhaps You & I should be running corporate GM, & get back in touch with the (people)=(customers) & actually build cars that look good & drive well... Don't get Me started ! ...I could go on & on, However, I am sure that you can agree...Your thoughts ? Let Me know...Have a Great Day & Hope to hear from You again soon...On My way to work so that I can pay bills...& hopefully buy more Oldsmobiles !
Do take care !- MyOldsMan-
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Pontiacs' already gone.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you joined us.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh Boy!!!! Blue in the corporate offices of GM.... I can see it now, lol!
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Dear Cutlassgal : I am sure that He, or Yourself, or Me, would be better than who they have in there now, ...anybody would be ! What a stupid move to discontinue Oldsmobile, then PONTIAC too ? Who is it...Ed Whitacre, Preceded by Fritz Henderson ? Whitacre openly admitted "I'm not a car guy" so why let an idiot like that run a car company ? If You are running a car company...You'd better "become a car guy" -OR- You need not apply ! It sounds more & more like the "elimination of the middle-class !" FYI- Mercury is getting dropped from F**d's line-up. Not a F**d fan at all, but better than everybody rushing to buy a "smart" car, or worse...(I don't think it can get worse...Oh yeah, a scion ? UGH !
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks Jamesbo ! Glad to be here...Nice Olds ! I am finally home...Thanks again !
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Dear 1969w3155 : Sad, eh ? It truely is. By the way, did You happen to go into the afore-mentioned web-site regarding Pontiac, listed in one of My writtings ? -("rantings")- Take a look, Give it a try, if You have not already. Interesting reading to say the very least. Thanks for Your correspondence...It is appreciated ! By the way...Nice Olds !

Last edited by MyOldsMan; February 17th, 2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spelling