The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie - will be seeking help

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
My other woman's an Old's

Newbie - will be seeking help

Proud owner of 1927 30E Tourer - but needs details as to where I can get hold of manuals, books etc., to maintain in mint condition. Can anyone direct me to a good site?

Car currently being registered and road tested for MOT. Should be with me in the next 10 days. Clean and warm space in the garage already prepared.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by abbeylands
Proud owner of 1927 30E Tourer - but needs details as to where I can get hold of manuals, books etc., to maintain in mint condition. Can anyone direct me to a good site?

Car currently being registered and road tested for MOT. Should be with me in the next 10 days. Clean and warm space in the garage already prepared.
Congratulations on your new ride. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 30E Tourer? Can you post some pictures for us? 1927 sounds like a nice bit of history to have a look at.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

X 2 How about some pics
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM

One pic available at present - link below:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pictureid=1435
Will post more when car arrives - hopefully next week.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Your car looks like a museum piece. Beautiful.

You may want to speak to a car museum curator to locate the documentation you need, for example, The San Diego Automobile Museum or even better yet, the Lansing Oldsmobile Museum.

Kantner's Auto Products (800-526-1096) may also have a lead...as they have much documentation, but I don't know how far back they go with it.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; December 5th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Looks like a pretty cool car.
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Smile Thanks ....

.. for your comments and suggestions. Will soon find out if the original had chrome fenders ... and where to get them. Will keep you up to speed on the restoration process.
Andrew
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Registered

Welcome

Wow! you ever crank it to start it.

I was digging at a job once and found an old car starting crank.
I furiously started digging deeper but unfortunately I didn't find a car under the dirt where the crank was.

I would try the Oldsmobile Club of America and the National Antique Oldsmobile Club for info.
They have a lot of good resources and year advisors that can point you in the right direction, other guys with the same type and around the same year cars are the best resources.

http://www.oldsclub.org/

http://www.antiqueolds.org/index.html

Faxon has literature dating back to 1902 and may have something.

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/home_one.cfm
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Crank it.... !!

... I just get Mrs P to do the hard work ... I have to sit behind the wheel and make sure that the choke is out, the clutch is in ... to mechanical for Mrs P so she draws the short straw!! Just joking - starts on the button - down on the floor. Turn the key, open the choke, press the button, away she roars.
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

... I just get Mrs P to do the hard work ... I have to sit behind the wheel and make sure that the choke is out, the clutch is in ... to mechanical for Mrs P so she draws the short straw!! Just joking - starts on the button - down on the floor. Turn the key, open the choke, press the button, away she roars.

I like the way you think.
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

One pic available at present - link below:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pictureid=1435
Will post more when car arrives - hopefully next week.
That car is drop dead gorgeous!! Do you know if that's the original color? It really sets off the car nicely. Love to see the inside shots and the engine. That's a "Pridemobile" . Show it off every chance you can. Didn't the car have some docs or manuals from whoever you bought it from?

Went searching on the web, and most of the 1927 30E models I found were Landau sedans. Majority of the pics were sepiatone so couldn't tell the color. Did find this one.

What does 30E mean? Is it the designation for Touring? It seems you could get several models of it. Personally I like the cabriole style of yours. Always nicer to tour with the roof down...

Want to buy one new? Let's go back to 1927 and take a look...

The variation on Landau got my attention too. For some reason, I just love the look of the S swirl on the C pillar and the touring lunch box on the bumper. Olds's version of the early "continental" kit? These cars just ooooze style! I'm thinking that that's a wood inlay by the door handles. Can't begin to imagine the opulence that awaits inside.

Old December 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM

I think the boot rack was an optional extra. However there is plenty of room on the back for 2/3 passengers and of course the picnic hamper. That's the benefit of bench seats - front and rear. I shall post more photo's very shortly - inside, outside and under the bonnet.
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Registered

I think the boot rack was an optional extra. However there is plenty of room on the back for 2/3 passengers and of course the picnic hamper. That's the benefit of bench seats - front and rear. I shall post more photo's very shortly - inside, outside and under the bonnet.
My Vista Cruiser has bench seats front and rear too.

Boot racks???
I remember early 70's greaser girls/racks with pointy black velvet stilleto heeled boots???

I had a Pic-a-nic basket, as some of us call them over here, but a bear stoled it when I was at Jellystone Park.

He was smarter than the av-erage bear.
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Now there is the problem with same language divided by a single ocean!! What we call boots you call trunks, our bonnets are your hoods, at least bench seats are common though!!
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bluevista
My Vista Cruiser has bench seats front and rear too.

Boot racks??? I remember early 70's greaser girls/racks with pointy black velvet stilleto heeled boots???
Boots (not made for walkin) is the extension on the back end for the old skool continental kit with the Pic a nic basket full of goodies that is being protected by....Ranger Smith of course.....Hey Cindy and my little buddy Boo boo, I smell lunch waitin on Jamesbo's table. Naturaaaalllly, he's invited us all over for some tasty treats like crayfish......

I had a Pic-a-nic basket, as some of us call them over here, but a bear stoled it when I was at Jellystone Park. He was smarter than the av-erage bear.
Must be related to the Grand Pooh-bah!
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
GM Enthusiast

Very nice car. My 6 year old little girl likes your car too and wants to know if we can go for a ride in her!
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Very nice car. My 6 year old little girl likes your car too and wants to know if we can go for a ride in her!

HEY!! I didn't know that was an option. ME TOO! I get accused of being that old all the time anyway.
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Oldsdruid

In addition to the OCA and National Antique Olds Club, the AACA www.aaca.org maintains an extensive library and literature collection. Unfortunately access is limited to AACA members, but AACA membership would be very worthwhile for your 1927. Their discussion forums can be very useful for a car such as yours and membership is not required for those, but we'd love to have ya!

Gene Crowdis in Texas USA has a 1927. He's been on here before, but I cannot remember his username.
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM

What a wonderful car you have. I hope your ready for alot of attention because your going to be getting it. Although I have never had the pleasure of driving a 1927 Oldsmobile I do have a 1926 Chevrolet pickup and believe me when I say it draws a huge crowd no matter where I go.
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Loud and proud ....

can't wait to take her out - already you'll note it's a she - think I'll christen her Benita after my mother .. after all she will probably be just as cantankerous!! Mrs P already has her Mary Poppins outfit - me - I'll just dress like Dick van Dyke!
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Now that is one fine car. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:36 AM

more pictures .....

... added. link here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...hp?albumid=255

Will take some with the roof down when the weather is better and post them as well. The car looks great when ready for summer running - hood down, wet weather gear stowed away. Was originally in South Africa and left there in March 2008 - or thereabouts.
Andrew
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:37 AM
...should get a life....

Now there is the problem with same language divided by a single ocean!! What we call boots you call trunks, our bonnets are your hoods, at least bench seats are common though!!
Ignore 'em. Your Olds is right hand drive so Bonnets & Boots it is.
Mines LHD in a RHD land so I've had to learn to call them hoods and trunks which of course to you and I means local louts and bathers.
The car is jolly nice by the way. Looking forward to more photos.
Toodle pip!
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Captain of my ship

Very nice car. Looks like someone has put a lot of time and money into it already , it looks sharp. not sure about the chrome fenders for 1927 , you would have to research if they were available on that car.
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Registered

"Bonnets" are what girls wear in the Easter parade and "boots" are what you wear on your feet, a *****-cat wore them in a kid's book.

Is a "fender" the sheet metal around and/or above the wheels or the bumper in this case???
I know an old fireplace fender looks more like a car bumper than a car fender as we know it in the USA.
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM

"Bonnets" are what girls wear in the Easter parade and "boots" are what you wear on your feet, a *****-cat wore them in a kid's book.

Is a "fender" the sheet metal around and/or above the wheels or the bumper in this case???
I know an old fireplace fender looks more like a car bumper than a car fender as we know it in the USA.
Obviously, spoken like someone who couldn't find the "Loo" or the "Lift"
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Cutlass Lover

Old December 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Gene Crowdis, Treasurer of OCA (and secretary of the NTOC), has a '27 four door, restored. Email address is: oldsman68@hotmail.com. I'm sure he would love to talk w/you about that beautiful car you own. Congratulations!
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Obviously, spoken like someone who couldn't find the "Loo" or the "Lift"
I found them but was confused I think?

I wondered why those people were so upset after I used the bathroom and there was toilet paper and a chair in the elevator??
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh My God!!!
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM

bonnets and boots .....

.... fenders and hoods. Bonnets are the front of the car, boots are the back, fenders are a make of guitar that Eric Clapton plays and hoods are the bad boys on the block. Hope this clears everything up!!

Now let's hope that everything else is common, but I doubt it. I'm going to take a job as a translator - bound to make a fortune!
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Proud owner of 1927 30E Tourer
Let me add my belated welcome.

I was looking your car up in "Setting the Pace," and according to that reference, there were actually two 1927 Oldsmobile models that used "touring" in the name (not "tourer").

The "Model 30E Touring" had a base price of $875, a wheelbase of 110.82 inches, weight of 2,300 lbs, and came with a 185 cubic-inch, L-head Six with a 2.88 x 4.75 bore and stroke that developed 40 hp. A total of 3,576 of these were built.

The "Model 30E Deluxe Touring" had a base price of $980, weighed 2,505 lbs, and only 212 were produced. All other specs were the same, including the engine, which was the only engine available in any of the 12 body styles offered.

Olds produced at total of 86,754 cars for the U.S and Canada that year. Olds also produced for export 3,713 left-hand drive models and 5,059 right-hand drive models. What body styles these export models were is not stated.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Cutlass Lover

bonnets and boots .....
.... fenders and hoods. Bonnets are the front of the car, boots are the back, fenders are a make of guitar that Eric Clapton plays and hoods are the bad boys on the block. Hope this clears everything up!!

Didn't take him long to become one of us, did it!!! He's fittin right in! LOL
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Jaunty75 .....

... thanks for the info on 30E. Very helpful and very grateful. Will check the specs and see how everything stacks up.
Andrew
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
bonnets and boots .....

Didn't take him long to become one of us, did it!!! He's fittin right in! LOL
Hands across the water.

I'm still confused?
So you want to know if chrome guitars were original for your car Abbeylands???
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh for Gods sake!!! You're gonna confuzzle the heck out of him!!! Down Redgoat, Down!!
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Chrome Guitars ....

... were Gibsons not Fenders. Fenders came in body colours - Les Paul played Gibson whilst sitting on a fender. Eric Clapton played Fender whilst drinking a Gibson ... next question - what is a Gibson?
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM

..... A Gibson .....
Hold the olive, Please!

2 oz. Gin or Vodka
2 drops Dry Vermouth
Garnish with Pearl Onion

Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM

..... A Gibson .....
Hold the olive, Please!

2 oz. Gin or Vodka
2 drops Dry Vermouth
Garnish with Pearl Onion

Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
This is the drink that Cary Grant ordered while sitting with Eva Marie Saint in the dining car in the movie "North by Northwest."
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is the drink that Cary Grant ordered while sitting with Eva Marie Saint in the dining car in the movie "North by Northwest."
Now that I didn't know - did he drive a 1927 Oldsmobile as well?

Quick Reply: Newbie - will be seeking help