The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Okay, I’ll try this again, new-to-me 1964 JETSTAR 1 😂

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2023, 06:42 PM
I fix old machines

Okay, I’ll try this again, new-to-me 1964 JETSTAR 1 😂

Hey, Charlie in Arizona here again, sorry for the restart, I corrected my handle and car description, I don’t know why I keep calling it a Jetfire. It’s a Jetstar 1.

And thank you all again for the warm welcome and hospitality. This forum is so easy to use and you’re all so friendly and quick to give a helpful suggestion. Thank you.

I’ll switch to this thread on the many questions I have and for posting pictures….

Up front

Out back, 1964 license plate, small missing center emblem is in the back seat.

Air filter base is missing, “ultra high compression” label is in the trunk.
Old August 22nd, 2023, 07:08 PM
I fix old machines

Pix and question

I had considered Marvel Mystery Oil but I was nervous about the cam. The engine starts and runs amazingly well for no tune-up, no carb kit, nothing.

Headliner is hanging down, door panels need straightened up.

Drivers door, very smooth and tight.

Off-side door also very smooth and tight.
Any additional thoughts on the lifter, possible damage?

I think the reason the car was parked is that the water pump is locked up SOLID. I was puzzled why the belts were off. I have a rebuilt pump coming.
Old August 22nd, 2023, 10:06 PM
Oldsdruid

Hopefully the water pump bolts that go thru the aluminum timing cover and into the block will come out easy.

The bottom screw on the 64 394 w/p is behind the harmonic balancer but Oldsmobile did you a favor and provided a notch in the balancer to access that screw. Rotate the balancer till the access notch is aligned with the screw. I've found it works better using a thin wall deep socket.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 02:49 AM

You can use Marvel Mystery Oil, Risolone or ATF in the crank case during your oil changes. Just substitute it for 1 quart of oil. All of the products I mentioned will help with noisy lifters.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 03:22 AM
Running On Empty

Consider making yourself a solution of Acetone mixed w/ ATF in a 1:1 ratio - 1/2 Acetone & 1/2 ATF. IMO, it makes the best penetrating oil to remove rusted-in hard to remove nuts/bolts & associated hardware. You can keep it a small jar/tin can. Dunk a small $0.50 cent paint brush into the solution & liberally apply the solution several times to the hardware several hours to 24 hours prior to removal. Kroil solution would be my 2nd choice.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 04:19 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Consider making yourself a solution of Acetone mixed w/ ATF in a 1:1 ratio - 1/2 Acetone & 1/2 ATF. IMO, it makes the best penetrating oil to remove rusted-in hard to remove nuts/bolts & associated hardware. You can keep it a small jar/tin can. Dunk a small $0.50 cent paint brush into the solution & liberally apply the solution several times to the hardware several hours to 24 hours prior to removal. Kroil solution would be my 2nd choice.
But be careful with that stuff, if you splatter it on your face/eyes you will know it! Acetone is a very strong and fast acting solvent, human tissue included. I do think that solution would work well though.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 06:34 AM
Oldsdruid

More magic for a desert car. That rear bumper is one of the best I've seen. Doesn't appear to have any rot-thru at all.

Also noticed it doesn't have backup lights. They were still an extra-cost option in 1964.

The aircleaner base can come from any 1961-1964 4-barrel 394 engine or a 1965 4-barrel 425.

Last edited by rocketraider; August 23rd, 2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 09:32 AM

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your good taste in large Oldsmobiles. The second Olds I owned back in the early 70s was a Jetstar 1. You should join the Darksiders, Charlie will be commenting. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 01:35 PM

As an added safety note, acetone is far more volatile than gasoline, so be careful if you use it.
Old September 17th, 2023, 07:40 PM

This car really brings back memories. I had a gorgeous light blue '64 Jetstar 1 back in 1987. It unfortunately had a terrible ATF leak and got even worse at the start of a move 1000 miles away. I had to trade it for a truck. Such a classy, classic, gorgeous car. I've had many cars that I wish I still had, but that one really hurt when I had to trade it.
Old September 18th, 2023, 07:09 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Welcome aboard! Looks like a solid project!
Old April 14th, 2024, 12:59 PM

New To this Forum - self introduction

Hello All,
I am new to submitting anything to this Forum, but I have visited several times. Mel Adrian here, For several years , I have owned a 67 Toronado, Driver quality, and I recently picked up 2 ( package deal) very nice project cars, a 64 Super 88, and a 64 Jetstar 1. The Jetstar 1 is very similar in condition to the one pictured in this thread by Charlie in Arizona, which is why I signed up here. Charlie, I see you live in Arizona,, land of dry rust free cars,,LOL.I live in Alberta Canada. What I desparately need is a rear bumper for my Jetstar 1. My Super 88 could also use one, and if you were able to locate one or two for me down there, I would very much appreciate that. I do have a buddy from Idaho that is planning to immigrate here, later this year or next year, and I could arrange for him to pick it up from you,, or whatever, but that is happening before too long. I have no idea how plentiful these cars are down there, but since both bumpers are the same ( I THINK ) maybe you can locate a couple for me??
I will post pictures of my cars at a later dat. Hopefully we can compare notes and be of mutual benefit to each other. Thankyou all in advance for any help you can give me.
Mel Adrian