The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Olds Newbie, Checking in!

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2023, 02:52 PM

Olds Newbie, Checking in!

Hey everyone. I was browsing the site looking for information and saw the plethora of knowledge here. Recently inherited a previously unfinished project (which may or may not have been posted on here for sale a few years back) 1965 Jetstar 88 Holiday Coupe. Previous owner was going a different direction with it and, unfortunately, had the factory control arms modified to accommodate airbags. I got tired of the car sitting unfinished so I'm trying to return it to it's former glory but having a heck of a time finding upper/lower front control arms. Hoping someone here can assist with schooling me up on possible interchangeable control arms so that I can get this vehicle where it belongs,... on the road.

I've been sifting through any and every site possible thanks to this forum: Fusick, Collectors Auto, USA Parts, Vintage Parts Source, Kanter Auto, etc. I've already tried a tubular set through parts geek that were waaaay too small. Trying to see if it's possible to cut out the airbag mount plates without completely torching the control arms but my fear is that they won't accommodate the coil springs/shocks properly.

As I get this moving, I plan to drop some pictures in. Thanks for any help!

Old July 19th, 2023, 03:02 PM
Banned

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile 👍
Old July 19th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... I'm sure you will find a lot of info available here for your project...
Old July 19th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Welcome!
Old July 19th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Phantom Phixer

Your best bet is to find someone who is parting out a car.
Get the used control arms and put new bushings and ball joints in them.
On the lower arms, the good news is that 1965 thru 1970 are the same.
The bad news is that upper arms fit 1965 only.
Neither of them will interchange with any other make of car.

PM me. I know a guy in GA.that's parting out a '70.
Old July 20th, 2023, 03:03 AM

Welcome. Post some pics, STAT!
Old July 20th, 2023, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site
Old July 21st, 2023, 04:15 AM

As you get into this, know that a ‘65 Jetstar 88 uses a combination of A-body and big car parts. My first move would be to put a dual circuit master cylinder on there, maybe from a 1967 Cutlass or 1967 88 with drum brakes. Seriously consider upgrading to front disc brakes if your budget allows.

One way to go is to see how to set it up using the more commonly available A-body (Cutlass/442) parts that fit.

Another way to go is to upgrade brakes & suspension to 65-70 88/Starfire/98 parts (88=B-body, 98=C-body), but be aware this will require a bunch of changes likely including spindles, drums, rotors, wheels and so on. It’d be a difficult, pricey way to go, but you’ll have better stopping power when you’re done.

Your car weighs just about as much as most other 65-66 88’s - biggest Jetstar weight advantage would be the small block vs. big block lighter weight and the somewhat lighter duty suspension.

But in 2023, everything on the road stops quicker than most everything made in 1965. Learn to leave a lot of room for stopping between your Olds and the Nissan/Toyota/Honda in front of you.

Sorry to sound like a safety-first old guy,
Chris
Old July 21st, 2023, 06:39 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Welcome aboard! We hope you can find those control arms and get her on the road! We also hope you will post some pics!
Old August 1st, 2023, 07:28 AM

Wow

All,

Thanks for the warm welcome and I apologize for not replying sooner but I was on that much coveted yearly escape: vacation!

The only pictures I have are from when the vehicle was originally picked up. The only reason I was there was Army Flight training and, had I enough sense back then, I should have offered to purchase it then. As I'm able to get parts and make progress, I'll do my best to post pictures. One of the larger conundrums is that the car was set up to accommodate a crate engine however the original 330 is still around. Leaning towards putting a 350 (so it's driveable) in while I rebuild the 330 as it'll require some torching and welding to put original mounts back in. What I do have is a Link to the previous owner's "For Sale" post detailing what all he had acquired. I can confirm that the crate motor and trans are gone, I'm not putting the sound system in, and currently trying to remove the airbag mounts from the control arms without torching them beyond use. Will need a little bit of re-upholstery work on the door cards and headliner. An inventory of parts reveal that I need springs, shocks, wheels/tires that'll fit over the disc setup and various small odds and ends. My Father in Law is doing the body work for me and says the hood needs a little more work and she'll be ready for paint. B.I.L. had pretty much all of the original chrome items re-chromed.

Me in the Blue w/hat

Considering a nice Emerald green similar to this.

Last edited by Swanson; August 1st, 2023 at 08:12 AM.
Old August 1st, 2023, 08:49 AM
GCH

Welcome , I just love this body style , awesome
This car is located on a scrap yard here if parts fit and are still available.