The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Travelling North America in a 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Oldsdruid

Awesome trip! I always wanted to take one of the old cars cross country but don't know if I or the car would make it now without "work".

If that lake in NC was either Hyco or Kerr (aka Buggs Island) you were pretty much within an hour of me.

BTW- some of us here understand British English and orthography very well!
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Smile

Zindon: Road trip of a lifetime! Keep us up to date with your travels!

Sharp car too. I don't mind that it is cloned as a 1971 442, as that is my favorite year

I would replace or recore your radiator ASAP! There is a good chance that will solve both your engine cooling issues and your transmission issues (as I suspect they are heat related). As mentioned previously, good old fashioned radiator shop should be able to recore your old one in 1 day (cut off the ends, install a new heat exchanger, braze your old ends back on). A friend of mine in Ohio recently had this done on his 1969 Firebird 400 for about $400. The nice part with this is it a perfect fit, but the bad part is the end caps are still 40 years old. If you do this, make sure the shop replaces the transmission cooler as well. If you want a 100% new part, you should be to order one from a national auto parts chain store (such as Autozone or NAPA) for about $200 or a radiator specialty shop (radiators.com, Ron Davis Racing) and have any repair shop install it for you. 12 years ago I bought a brand-new radiator for my winter-beater 1975 Buick Regal from Autozone for $150: it was identical to the original unit. I literally had it swapped in 30 minutes. If you know where you are going to be (such as a hotel in a specific city), you could ask the hotel days in advance if it was OK to accept a part shipment and have the vendor drop-ship the part to the hotel. I've actually done this before on vehicle test trips for work: it is pretty funny seeing your auto parts in boxes on a bell hop's cart! Then find a repair shop to do the work and go to your next destination.

Post your next stop: maybe forum members can guide you to a reputable repair shop. Any decent shop can handle the brakes in no time: Napa and Auto Value chains can usually get parts for old cars in a few days if they do not have them in stock. Working with drum brakes w/o a nice, long narrow screwdriver, a pair of needle-nose vice-grips and a brake shoe spring tool is a pain!

If your travels bring you back to Detroit, drop me a line. We will meet up for a pint!

Last edited by Kaline; July 6th, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: More Information
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM

This is great. Thanks for sharing. I wish you well in your travels.
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM

No better way to see the country. Do not go back across the pond without making it to the deep south and a stop in New Orleans.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM

I am now in Durango, Colorado, having spent the last couple of days driving across beautiful southern Utah. Here at the higher elevations the cooling system seems to be working fine, I'm not losing any coolant (maybe a tiny bit), and the needle doesn't rise above about 205. Brakes seem to work but the noise is embarrassing.

Just to be clear, I am pretty handy with tools, and much prefer to work on the car myself than pay someone else. A radiator swap is no problem, it's more having a suitable location to do it that is the issue.

I have been educating myself about radiators, mainly through this site, and am a little surprised to discover I have a 2-row radiator. I should have a 3-row as I have air conditioning, correct? In this case, is a recore worth the expense, as I presume it can only be recored as a 2-row. I've done a bit of looking around and am tempted one of these:

http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_...tlass-1972.htm

Anyone have any experience with these parts? Also, the descriptions are rather confusing.

I'm not bothered about originality, the car has already been tinkered with by previous owners.

Aiming to get to Denver today, anybody in that area able to help out? I'll check out the map as well.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:48 AM

When you hit Denver find a nice radiator shop and have them get you a new four core or have them re-core yours. They can do pretty much anything you want. New might be the way to go, but don't let them stab you. Re-core is a very good way also, that way you know your side tanks fit your mounts perfect.
Keep the info and pic's coming.

Gene
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Zindon
A radiator swap is no problem, it's more having a suitable location to do it that is the issue.
No problem.
I changed a radiator in the parking lot of a QuickieMart 2 weeks ago.
1-2-3 job, and they were happy to sell me antifreeze and let me clean up in the bathroom. The teenagers were amused by the old guy fixing the old car.

It goes easier if you park over a storm sewer .

- Eric
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
MOTORHEAD

rockauto.com

Hi Have you checked rockauto.com
link is to 5% off discount for classicOlds guys
HAPPY MOTORING

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ount-code.html

Last edited by 11971four4two; July 23rd, 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Remember that a four core is not a drop in for a two core, due to the saddle that it sits in, and the top plate. If this ia a factory a/c car, then check to see if was a 3 or 4 core. Look for any gaps where it sits on the radiator support with the 2 core in there, and the fit of the top plate.
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Oliver your pics and story are terrific! it brought back memories of when I drove from Florida to Canada in my 88 Cadillac. Everyone thought I was mad (a woman driving all that way alone LOL) I had a few mishaps a tire blow out in Texas along with a rad leak and another (new) tire blow out in Washington but I had a hoot! met some great people and saw some great sights. I'm a Brit too, now living on Vancouver Island. Please continue to post pics and document your cars journey back to England.
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM

I found a proper old school radiator shop in Denver - Ideal Radiator, run by a great old boy called Ronny with 33 years experience. He patched up the holes in the rad and also gassed up my AC while I was there, as he has a stash of R-12 and I thought whilst I was there, and now I have a good radiator, it was worth doing. Sadly it appears that my compressor is on the way out as the system was not sucking in the freon very effectively. The AC blows colder than it did, but not as cold as it should. Oh well. Perhaps something for a bit further on down the road, new compressor and convert to R-134a. Ronny also spotted that new two month old fan clutch was leaking fluid and hence not functioning correctly. Thanks NAPA. I'll dig out the receipt and try to get my money back and buy the AC Delco part.

Still not entirely convinced about the two-row rad being sufficient. At 75 mph on the interstate and with AC on full, temp is about 215 F. Despite the dodgy fan clutch, the car runs cooler around town; about 185-190. This says to me I need more coolant though the rad. The radiator guy was a bit negative about the benefits of aluminium rads, but I think that might be worth splashing out on down the line. Possibly combined with an electric fan - the mpg improvement during the couple of weeks I had the electric fan would pay for itself pretty quickly, especially once I get the car home where the fuel is twice the price.

After a huge rainstorm hit Denver my brakes have stopped making anywhere near as much noise. I read through the brake section of the service manual which I found on wiladaboutcars.com (very useful site), and given my symptoms it might just be a lack of lubrication. While in the major conurbation of Denver I stopped at a Harbor Freight Tools, and picked up a brake spring tool set. What a place, by the way. I love tools - I could have spent all day in there, and many hundreds of dollars.

Boiler_81 & Kaline - I will likely be back in the Detroit area at some point as my uncle's place is only a few hours away. Most likely end of July/early August.

lshlsh2 - Yes, having seen the response (thanks, everyone), I do wish I had started this earlier. Kept meaning to be never found the time, until my hand was forced a little by mechanical issues. Sadly I have passed by most of the places people have mentioned. I have had a look at the map and sent messages to a few people in places that I will be passing through.

1971four4two - thanks for the link to RockAuto, will definitely check that site out more throughly. I see you are in Minnesota, that is one place I haven't yet got to. Seems there a number of Olds enthusiasts in the Twin Cities area - current estimate for my arrival in that area is about nine or ten days time.

Everyone else - thanks for all the offers of assistance.

I have some more pictures that I will post up soon. It's tough to find the time (and reliable internet access) to keep everything up to date.

Last edited by Zindon; July 10th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Well you've seen more of the US than darn near any of us has (and I drove cross-country in a '72 Skylark convertible after college).

Sounds to me like your radiator and brakes need a look, and that manifold needs replacing. I'm sure there are a dozen people near where you are right now who can help you out.

The A/C probably needs a charge, or was improperly converted to R134. There may be a member who could help with that as well.

I would ignore the oil leaks and the suspension, as it may be a bigger job to fix than it's worth, and tie that battery down with bungee cords (which, along with giant zip-ties and duct tape, comprise the armamentarium of the true American mechanic).

Sounds like a great trip - have fun!!

- Eric
Eric, Al here- what exactly is an improperly converted to 134? Plan on doing mine and would like to know if I'm doing right. Thanks,
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Al Graff
Eric, Al here- what exactly is an improperly converted to 134?
Al,

Off the top of my head:
  • Receiver / dryer not changed to R134 compatible, or changed to an incompatible one (such as a NOS unit).
  • POA valve either not recalibrated for R134, or replaced by an R134-calibrated cycling valve
  • Condenser not swapped for an R134 type (will strongly limit cooling ability)
  • R134-compatible oil not installed
  • O-rings not changed to R134-compatible
  • Crud from 20 years with fittings open in junkyard not flushed out
  • System not fully evacuated first.

Stuff like that.

If you didn't do it yourself, you have no idea what Cletus did when he did it.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:55 PM

If you are going to be back in Michigan when you say, I would suggest that you check out The Red Barns Spectacular at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners on Saturday August 4th. This is a very nice car show, with cars spanning several decades in a pretty nice setting. I plan on being there, and have been there before for this show along with other car events there. http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:09 AM

If you are back in the area in that time frame you might want to arrange to be in the Detroit area for the Dream Cruise on August 18th. If you decide to do the cruise get here a few days early so that you can drive your car on Woodward. During the cruise the street is just a very long parking lot. The number and quality of cars is unreal.

HTML Code:
http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/Home.aspx
Boiler_81 & Kaline - I will likely be back in the Detroit area at some point as my uncle's place is only a few hours away. Most likely end of July/early August.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:52 AM

1969w3155 - Count me in. My uncle's place is only a few miles from the Gilmore. I've been before just to see the museum.

Boiler_81 - I have heard about the Woodward Dream Cruise, not sure if I will still be in Michigan by then, I might have set off south to hit the remaining states on the list. It's a possibility.

A few new pictures of the car since last time.

Driving through Zion National Park, Utah:

EXVtKh.jpg

On the way to Bryce Canyon, Utah:

qEISnh.jpg

A view from the spectacular Utah Route 12:

BRynih.jpg

The photos don't do this view justice. This drive was one of the best drives of the trip so far.

Continuing east, through Capitol Reef National Park:

FLM1Ch.jpg

Shadows playing across the red rock:

tOgZwh.jpg

Sunset on the Utah landscape

YN643h.jpg

Arches National Park, Utah (you can't drive close enough to the arches themselves to get a car & arch picture):

fDrEzh.jpg

Four Corners; the meeting point of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado:

CjZLfh.jpg

Red Mountain, Colorado:

RRa9lh.jpg

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Colorado:

0TD6th.jpg

Crossing the Continental Divide, Colorado:

Asx1eh.jpg

Cheyenne Mountain (the fictional home of Stargate Command. And where the end of Wargames is set):

4fCV9h.jpg

At the summit of Pikes Peak, in a cloud:

vdjsrh.jpg

Couldn't see the famous view:

cI7TQh.jpg

Techy stuff now. A top-down view of my 2-row radiator, just before I took it out to be fixed in Denver:

ebQArh.jpg

My rad top plate, with 1/2" socket for scale:

BOgLoh.jpg

I presume that I have a 2 / 3 row top plate? Looking at the rad, the core looks surprisingly thin compared to the tanks. Is that just how a 2-row looks?

Heading across Wyoming to Grand Teton and Yellowstone today. Looks like a nice day for it.
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:27 AM

If you are in the Detroit area at the end of July, you could check out the "World's Largest Weekly Cruise" at Baker's of Milford. On July 22 the local Olds club is planning a group meet up there. http://www.bakersofmilford.com/1/252/cruisin.asp If you are not here on the 22nd this is still an interesting weekly event.

I absolutely love the Yellowstone area. The scenery is stunning. If you can work it into your schedule, I recommend leaving the Yellowstone area via the Beartooth Highway. It has some amazing views. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beartooth_Highway http://www.beartoothhighway.com/
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Runner

What an awesome set of pictures. I can't image your gas bill! Great story though. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the drive.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM
MOTORHEAD

454radiator

That radiator has 2 go

I have this old 3 core on the shelf since 1993. Maybe it needs to cross the pond with you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1980's 002.jpg (72.9 KB, 36 views)
454radiator 001.jpg (67.0 KB, 36 views)
454radiator 007.jpg (93.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by 11971four4two; July 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM

I presume that I have a 2 / 3 row top plate?
I agree, and the ballast are for a 2 or 3 row. You should be able to get one more row in there. The top plate on my four row measures 4" on the inside, where you show your socket as a reference.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM

GREAT TRIP...

This is something everyone on this site would love to do.
If you are ever in the Austin or San Antonio, TX area send me a PM.
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Wow! Great trip and posts, Oliver. I am in Bloomfield, MI if you get back this way. You may also want to see Woodward Avenue on a nice Friday Saturday night in Birmingham, Bloomfield, Ferndale, or Royal Oak as there are many classics cruising, weather permitting. If you have the time, the Woodward Dream cruise occurs in August (third weekend I think). It is incredible.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Zindon, some ideas for your travels...

Cruisin' the Coast ( http://www.cruisinthecoast.com/ ) is going on along the Gulf Coast in mid October. Come join 6000 of your future best friends in a week of great times and great cars!!

Also, in November, the Emerald Coast Cruise ( http://www.emeraldcoastcruizin.com/ ) is going on. Smaller and more intimate, but also a great time!!

Drop us a line if you get down this way!

Bill
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Update from Missoula, Montana:

The radiator is leaking AGAIN. I think it's destined for the bin. 1971four4two, I wil happily buy that 3-row from you once I get to MN. I'll send you a PM. Haven't looked at the brakes yet but will today. They seem to work still but the noise is embarrassing.

Pictures since Denver:

Hell's Half-Acre, Wyoming (the alien planet in the movie Starhip Troopers):

YvlqS.jpg

The Teton Mountains, Wyoming:

aiecI.jpg

The Tetons from across Jackson Lake, on the way to Yellowstone:

oWAPi.jpg

The first power-generating nuclear reactor - EBR-1, Idaho

QD5ZV.jpg

Craters of the Moon National Park, Idaho:

xUEyF.jpg

The Salmon River Mountains, Idaho:

RX9va.jpg

Payette River Valley, Idaho:

jud3T.jpg

Heading to Glacier National Park today, having been to Spokane and Couer d'Alene yesterday. Hopefully I can meet up with a forum member somewhere along the line, almost happened in Spokane but the timing didn't work out.

Last edited by Zindon; July 19th, 2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: fixing the huge pictures
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Dang. You are directly south of Olds, Alberta (60 miles north of Calgary) where we are having the Rocket Round Up on Saturday. Too bad you couldn't stop by, we'd offer you a steak dinner with all of us after the show.

I'm planning out my route on the Pacific Coast Hwy to San Diego and back for next year. I'll have to post some pictures too and try to meet as many CO members as I can.
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Only about 4 1/2 hours straight north from Glacier National park.
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by rcrac3r
Only about 4 1/2 hours straight north from Glacier National park.
Yeah, that's why I say it was too bad he couldn't stop by. Relatively speaking, he's close for the amount of driving he's doing. What's 4 1/2 hours driving when it's wide open spaces? Montana is Big Sky Country and we share the same sky.

Are you going to the show?
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Crossing the Continental Divide, Colorado:

Here's the same spot in Canada (Continental Divide Alberta - British Columbia border)

Old July 19th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Flathead Lake, Montana:

4pODx.jpg

Glacier National Park, MT:

gPjQE.jpg

IpOPx.jpg

Ms7MA.jpg

Cathedral of St Helena, Helena, MT:

r8Lhy.jpg

Roosevelt Arch, North Entrance to Yellowstone National Park:

UWvTW.jpg

Actually my second visit to Yellowstone as I'd gone in from the south and out to the west last time. This time I went out on the famous Beartooth Highway, sadly I'd underestimated the time I'd spend in the park (low speed limits, bison in the road, slow drivers) and so it was pitch black as I wound across the pass. Certainly easier on the cooling system than trying it in the midday sun. My brakes, which still work, now make more noise. Really is time to fix that. I was going to have a look whilst camping in Glacier NP but some friendly Texans camping next to me distracted me with food and beer. I am now across the Rockies for the last time, which is probably good news as the radiator is still leaking and I don't fancy too many more climbs with the heater on.

442much - sadly I couldn't have attended the show in Alberta even I had time. Last time I crossed back into the USA after the trip across Canada I was informed I would need to make a 'meaningful departure' before I re-entered the USA; i.e. go home for a number of months. No more international border crossings for the moment.

Where exactly is that on the BC- AB border? I crossed into BC from Jasper on Highway 16, then went south on 5 to Kamloops.

Also, to answer your earlier question: yes, I am driving every mile myself. 34,000 so far.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM

442much - sadly I couldn't have attended the show in Alberta even I had time. Last time I crossed back into the USA after the trip across Canada I was informed I would need to make a 'meaningful departure' before I re-entered the USA; i.e. go home for a number of months. No more international border crossings for the moment.

Where exactly is that on the BC- AB border? I crossed into BC from Jasper on Highway 16, then went south on 5 to Kamloops.

Also, to answer your earlier question: yes, I am driving every mile myself. 34,000 so far.
That picture was taken on the Hwy 93, where Kootenay National Park (BC) turns into Banff National Park (AB) heading east. (In the picture the car is pointing west)
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:12 AM
IYAOYAS

Originally Posted by 442much
That picture was taken on the Hwy 93, where Kootenay National Park (BC) turns into Banff National Park (AB) heading east. (In the picture the car is pointing west)
Man i thought driving down from portland Oregon to Southern California was long in my 1969 cutlass. maybe it was because i was cruising with 3.42 gears. haha. awesome trip by the way.
If you do not get those brakes fixed, could be trouble for the whole car later on down the road. that would be my first Priority
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:33 AM
IYAOYAS

if you drop down into reno NV in august, they have HOT AUGUST NIGHTS. one of the biggest car shows ive ever seen. cars from all over drive in to cruise down the strip. if your interested here is the site to check it out. http://www.hotaugustnights.net/
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1969oldsH
if you drop down into reno NV in august, they have HOT AUGUST NIGHTS. one of the biggest car shows ive ever seen. cars from all over drive in to cruise down the strip. if your interested here is the site to check it out. http://www.hotaugustnights.net/
He would be very lucky to find a room in Reno at this late date believe it or not most people book a room for the next year when they check in.Fun car show that encompasses the whole town....Tedd
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:06 AM
IYAOYAS

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
He would be very lucky to find a room in Reno at this late date believe it or not most people book a room for the next year when they check in.Fun car show that encompasses the whole town....Tedd

Very true but it wouldnt hurt to drive through and look at them all. he doesnt seem like one to stay in one spot for a long period of time. ha. idk if it was me traveling through to see america in a classic car like him, i would definitely take a peek and see what its all about.
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM

First of all, WELCOME to America!!
Second - AWESOME TRIP!!!!!!

I finally got time to really check this thread out. You are following my dreams to do this kind of trip....
That is a lot of miles you have covered in such a short time. When did you start this trip anyway?

Brakes seem to work but the noise is embarrassing.

...am a little surprised to discover I have a 2-row radiator. I should have a 3-row as I have air conditioning, correct?
Do get those drums off soon to check them! It could be as simple as removing the dust buildup in them, or as bad as worn linings scoring the drums. If the latter, the longer it grinds, the deeper they get. Shoes can be found at most parts stores but drums are harder.

You should have a 3 row if you have a 350 with AC. The assy manual calls for it. I had the same issue - a 2 row in a 3 row application. It was most likely a cheaper service part long ago and the owner then wanted to save some cash... This explains why it got hot in the desert.
Get it replaced soon if you can. A 3 row will drop right in. A 4 row will not.

The AC was charged up not long before I bought the car, with R12 - I remember discussing it with the seller. He had a stockpile of the old gas. Perhaps I have a leak somewhere.....

Also there is an minor electrical issue - the alternator warning light glows dimly; it's only visible at night. Presumably an earth issue somewhere.
Check to see if the little tire-valve looking cores in the service valves are tight (where you connect the charging hoses on the POA valve and behind the compressor). Mine were loose as a goose and I lost my R12 fast. The internal seals shrink and deteriorate. The core can be snugged with a cheapo standard tire valve tool. Then tighten the caps over them securely.

My ALT light glows very faintly at night, too, but alt charges at 13-14V so all is good.

You can get a Harbor frieght tire valve tool and voltmeter for under 10 bucks. It is good to confirm that the battery is being charged.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It goes easier if you park over a storm sewer .
Shame on you...

Still not entirely convinced about the two-row rad being sufficient. At 75 mph on the interstate and with AC on full, temp is about 215 F. Despite the dodgy fan clutch, the car runs cooler around town; about 185-190. This says to me I need more coolant though the rad.

... the mpg improvement during the couple of weeks I had the electric fan would pay for itself pretty quickly, especially once I get the car home where the fuel is twice the price.

After a huge rainstorm hit Denver my brakes have stopped making anywhere near as much noise.
You need a 3 row radiator - just had to repeat that...

If your fan clutch was seized, then it was robbing about 3mpg from you. The fan is supposed to freewheel at highway speeds, but yours was probably going close to 1:1 speed. That's probably why the fan blade broke - too much stress for too long a time.

Get your brakes checked soon!

I will be watching this thread more now and I hope all goes well for you. I am in Dallas TX, so not too much help right now, aside from finding and or shipping a part for you if needed.
How long is your stay here?
When you get back to England, I hope you can post up a journal if dates and places or a map of your route. You really did your homework in planning this!

BTW, have you named your car yet? It should have come to you by now...
My car was named Lady the day i started my long journey across the US to back home. This was because Lady-Luck was my co-pilot!

Drive safe and best wishes!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:16 AM
MOTORHEAD

Hey Olly

It was really nice to meet up with you yesterday! If you are ever back in my neck of the woods stop in for another pit-stop and barbeque. Good luck with your "golden" radiator

By the way your headlight bezels are kittywampus

Happy Motoring
Cheers
Brian
Attached Images
22JulyOlly 001.jpg (109.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by 11971four4two; July 24th, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:00 AM

wheeler dealers

okay, not one pic of the invisible man? oh wait...
Are we going to recognise you if we see a pic of you?
Im only suggesting you get a pic of your mug in there with at least one of these pics!!! cheers!!!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
Hey Olly

It was really nice to meet up with you yesterday! If you are ever back in my neck of the woods stop in for another pit-stop and barbeque. Good luck with your "golden" radiator

Happy Motoring
Cheers
Brian
Great looking lineup!
Did you get his radiator replaced or resoldered?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM

Oliver,

Have sent you a PM (Private Message) here on the forum regarding you time in Wisconsin.
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date with your travels! It is good to hear a forum member helped you out with a "new" radiator. Get the brakes checked ASAP!

For your AC, I've been told that RedTek 12a is a direct, environmentally friendly substitute for R12 in older vehicles. It is widely available in Canada. Here is a link with info: http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html

Some shops in CA, Arizona and Nevada refill R12 AC systems with propane. You can find a fair amount of discussion on this (both pros and cons) with a Google search.

If you love old cars, the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise is a must-attend event. Officially it is the 3rd Saturday in August and is the largest 1-day automotive event in the world. It takes place on Woodward Avenue, north of Detroit from 9 Mile to 15 Mile Roads (yes, 6 miles long). My father and I attend every year and my house is a short walk to 12 Mile & Woodward. Let me know if you decide to attend!

Keep us posted with your travels!

Quick Reply: Travelling North America in a 72 Cutlass