The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Vintage air for my 68 442

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 03:34 AM

Vintage air for my 68 442

Hello fellow Oldsmobile enthusiasts . Just thought I'd share my experience installing Vintage Air in my 68 442.First off I ordered the unit from Gearheads in Iowa. The unit was drop shipped .Did an inventory and all parts had arrived. Now our car orig had a/c .However years ago we (my wife and I) had removed the non functioning unit and smoothed out the firewall.I ordered the unit with passenger side a/c and for a car with a/c to utilize the existing In dash vents.Everything went together just as described in the instructions!! Wasn't really no surprises . However I did have to fab. my own a/c alt. bracket due to the fabricated aluminum valve covers. I cut up the supplied bracket,added a few supports and used a Chevy alt. arm . So now the alternator and compressor are on one bracket on the passenger side .The comp. is low on the passenger side alternator is higher just like on a 66 67 with air. My configuration made for one belt and all adjustment is done with alt. Looks clean no belt squeal engine temp is185 @ idle on 90 deg day ,205 deg. with air on! That's idling for a good 15-20 min. .I failed to mention this isn't the orig. block. It's a 72 455 low comp. (8.5?) I will post pics as soon as I can. I did a lot of research on the net and didn't find much on 68-69 installs.
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:25 AM
"Trying to fix her right"

My unit will be delivered tomorrow. It will be a little bit until I completely install it though because I am having a 455 rebuilt for the car and the engine builder is jerking me around.

I also have a semi smooth firewall. How did you mount the inside box? Did you make a bracket or did you just bolt through the firewall?
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:01 AM

From inside the car after peeling back the carpet all factory holes were still visible with the body filler coming threw . I didn't weld any holes just filled them in. The kit comes with a mounting plate that mounts inside to the firewall then the box mounts to it
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by kenroberts
From inside the car after peeling back the carpet all factory holes were still visible with the body filler coming threw . I didn't weld any holes just filled them in. The kit comes with a mounting plate that mounts inside to the firewall then the box mounts to it
Did you have to drill holes through the firewall for the new mounting plate bolts and do you have bolts on the outside of the firewall now?
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM

2 bolts are all u see and a drain hose at bottom of f/w for condensation very clean
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM

Oh OK, that sounds cool. Post some pics when you get time, we would like to see it.

Thanks,
Dave
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM

Here is my firewall with a Vintage Air system installed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
firewall.jpg (46.2 KB, 91 views)
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Looks good I am going to get there kit probably after summer amd instal in the winter