broken off latch

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2024, 04:42 PM

broken off latch

is there any way to open the trunk with a broken latch? my oldsmobile has no power things so i cant open it that way, and i cant find a way to remove the seats either.
Old February 6th, 2024, 05:36 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Welcome to Classic Olds dot com...Hummm...1948, 1968, 1998 Olds??? Wagon, 2 door, convertible, Bravada, Silhouette mini van?
Your question is similar to walking up to an auto parts counter than saying hey parts counter guy I need a part...
Posting 101...Always state year make model when posting a question. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. If you need help posting pictures, just ask.
Steve
Old February 6th, 2024, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by bytecast
is there any way to open the trunk with a broken latch?
Yes.

As Steve noted above, providing complete information is important.

Once we know what you’re working on, the single word answer above can be expanded.

Last edited by Fun71; February 6th, 2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old February 6th, 2024, 06:37 PM

k

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yes.

As Steve noted above, providing complete information is important.

Once we know what you’re working on, the single word answer above can be expanded.
sorry! i completely forgot, its a 1977 oldsmobile 98. i ALSO forgot the mention its stuck closed not open, and the entire assembly that opens the trunk is GONE there's still the rod but i can't reattach the part that goes there

(ps: image is not mine but it's the same as mine)

Imagine this but worse

Last edited by bytecast; February 6th, 2024 at 06:42 PM.
Old February 7th, 2024, 05:06 AM

The key assembly for the latch on the trunk of my 71 98 is missing, I never installed it after painting my car. I open the trunk with a long flat bladed screw drive. The key assembly is actually riveted onto the sheet metal of the trunk and fits into the latch on the inside of the trunk (the part I activate now with a screw driver).

Provide us a close up pic so we can see what you're up against.

Old February 7th, 2024, 05:24 AM
Past Administrator

The lower part of the back seat is realeased by pushing on the bottom of the frame horizontally toward the trunk. By moving the seat frame about an inch you can dis-engage it from corresponding hooks on the floor pan then tilt it up on the front and pull it out toward yourself (sitting in the back foot well). The seat back is bolted to the upright metal which seperates the passenger compartment from the trunk area, two bolts. Those are along the lower edge of the seat back frame and can be seen if you lower down enough to peer under the edge. From there you should be able to look into the trunk and see what you are up against unless there is a lot of stuff in the trunk obstrucking your view, maybe even get a small child to crawl through one of the openings, can't remember how large they are on a ninety eight.