I want duals

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2009, 03:48 AM

I want duals

Hello fellas and ladies it there are any on the site,

I have a 72 Ninety Eight and want to go dual exhaust. I also have a 72 98 parts car that currently has duals with twin glasspacks on it.

Do you guys recommend installing the glasspacks on the 72 Ninety Eight w/ 455 of course?

The parts car did not have engine when I got it. So I didn't get to hear what it sounded like with the exhaust set up.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

Old December 30th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Please post pics of your car.

I have a 1971 Olds 98 with W/Z manifolds and 2.5" pipes. There is an X pipe right behind the transmission and I have 2 45" Thrush glasspacks. It is definitely loud. If you like the glasspack sound then use them, if you don't like the car to be loud, or if you don't like the throaty rasping of glasspacks then don't use them.

To run dual exhaust on your car all you have to do is have an exhaust shop change the cross over to go back into dual exhaust. Then you cap off or weld up the passenger's side exhaust manifold. 71-76 B and C bodies didn't have the pitman arm behind the corsslink like they did in the days of yore. So you don't have to clear the steering gear box.

In addition, if you want headers then A body headers should fit your 98. I haven't gotten headers for my 98 yet because I am loathe to buy a set of headers and have to "modify" them to get them to fit. Supposedley, every once in awhile you have to bend one of the primary tubes or work them with a ball peen hammer to get them to fit. IMHO, this isn't worth it. I am waiting to buy a quality set of headers from Doug's Headers than will either fit, or if they don't then I will return them and get my money back.