Newbie project Odsmobile 98 1973

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2024, 11:00 PM

Newbie project Odsmobile 98 1973

Hi all. I'm new. I recently purchased a 1973 Oldsmobile 98. I have a lot of questions, I ask for help, the first of them is about the valve that goes to the stove; it started leaking when Comfort was turned on. But in many photos I see it with a sensor. I don’t have this sensor, is it critical and do I need to install it? There will be many questions in the future. Perhaps someone has a repair manual? I also need a wiring diagram because the dashboard lights don't work. Brake fluid is still leaking. I want to bring everything to mind, I will be glad for any help and advice. I accept any criticism. Sorry in advance for my English.

Last edited by Alex 98; April 20th, 2024 at 11:02 PM.
Old April 21st, 2024, 05:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

That heater control valve will leak when it goes bad. The electrical part is a temp sensor for the Comfortron system. There are at least two dozen factory Chassis Service Manuals on ebay at this moment, with current prices starting at $8.99. Buy an original paper copy, not a reprint or a CD/PDF.

Old April 21st, 2024, 06:36 AM

If the condition of your heater core, the small radiator that the heater uses, is unknown to you, plan to eventually replace it. If the control valve is leaking, the heater core could very well be on its way out too.

You will know if the heater core is bad when it leaks coolant into the front passenger footwell. Or you may smell it…

Chris
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That heater control valve will leak when it goes bad. The electrical part is a temp sensor for the Comfortron system. There are at least two dozen factory Chassis Service Manuals on ebay at this moment, with current prices starting at $8.99. Buy an original paper copy, not a reprint or a CD/PDF.

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately I can’t find the wires that go to the sensor, perhaps they were removed by the former owner
Old April 21st, 2024, 09:47 AM
Oldsdruid

Is this in fact a Comfortron car? And does it function? Not having a functioning engine temperature switch on the hot water valve would probably keep the whole system from working because engine coolant temp has to prove above 120° before a Comfortron will start.

Parts consolidation resulted in the same heater hot water valve being used as service replacement part for both Comfortron and Custom Air Conditioning cars. If it's not a Comfortron car but has ever had the hot water valve replaced, the valve could well have the threaded port for the Comfortron engine temp switch.

Here's the Comfortron underhood wiring from the 1973 CSM, which you need your own copy as others have said. Looks like you need to find a black/white stripe wire. Doesn't apply if it's not a Comfortron car.

Last edited by rocketraider; April 21st, 2024 at 09:53 AM.
Old April 21st, 2024, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Is this in fact a Comfortron car? And does it function? Not having a functioning engine temperature switch on the hot water valve would probably keep the whole system from working because engine coolant temp has to prove above 120° before a Comfortron will start.

Parts consolidation resulted in the same heater hot water valve being used as service replacement part for both Comfortron and Custom Air Conditioning cars. If it's not a Comfortron car but has ever had the hot water valve replaced, the valve could well have the threaded port for the Comfortron engine temp switch.

Here's the Comfortron underhood wiring from the 1973 CSM, which you need your own copy as others have said. Looks like you need to find a black/white stripe wire. Doesn't apply if it's not a Comfortron car.
yes this car has comfort. And the interior trim is from Tiffany, but unfortunately the previous owner did not appreciate this car; there are a lot of mechanical problems. I need a mentor to advise me on restoring this car.

Old April 21st, 2024, 10:23 AM
Oldsdruid

You're at the right place for Oldsmobile knowledge and help. Tell us where you're located. Someone might be close enough by to help.

How mechanically inclined are you? Armed with the shop book and a decent set of tools you can probably do a lot yourself. You do need the CSM Joe P posted for you so you can get familiar with it, and also to show anyone you hire to work on your Ninety Eight how to service it. Newer mechanics aren't used to working on cars like these.

You have a Regency sedan. Oldsmobile's top line car in 1973. Regency started in 1972 to commemorate Oldsmobile's 75th Anniversary and the Tiffany clock and keys were part of the Regency promotion.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Guessing you're pretty young too.
Old April 21st, 2024, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Alex 98
yes this car has comfort.
All Oldsmobiles have comfort!!

What you mean is that it has ComforTRON, which was Oldsmobile's name for automatic temperature control air-conditioning. Go look at the control panel on the dash again. You'll see that it says Comfotron in script writing. You can see it in the photo of the left side of the dashboard you posted above. It was nice when it was new, but Comfortron systems can be a challenge to maintain and keep working 50-plus years later.

Originally Posted by Alex 98
I need a mentor to advise me on restoring this car.
I don't know about being a mentor, but I'm glad to help you all I can. I have a very similar car, a '73 Delta 88. Mine, however, is very low optioned. It doesn't have air conditioning at all. It is a convertible, which makes up for the lack of A/C.

In addition to getting a factory service manual, which has been mentioned above, you also really want to get a 1973 Fisher Body Manual. Many parts of the car that you might want to work on are actually covered in that manual. It covers all 1973 General Motors brands, including Oldsmobile.

They're also available on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12635021382...Bk9SR5rjzZzgYw

Last edited by jaunty75; April 21st, 2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old April 21st, 2024, 11:52 AM

Welcome, beautiful Oldsmobile.
Old April 21st, 2024, 12:03 PM

Agreed, that is a beautiful car. Good on you for recognizing and appreciating what it is.
Old April 21st, 2024, 06:39 PM

The first thing is to replace the heater valve and I want to understand whether it should have a sensor on it or not. Tomorrow after work I'm meeting with a mechanic, he's good with old cars. We will discuss the scope of work and decide what I will do on my own and what the service will do. I also wanted them to look at the carburetor. I have a lot of work, I ask everyone to leave their comments. I am in the city of Medicine Hat, Canada. Sorry again for my English, I'm from Ukraine. I will give out all the news here, waiting for your advice and criticism, we have brought the salon to perfection, all that remains is the light of the front panel and the clock. The wiring is all mixed up so it's hard work.I also have some parts left, some were given by the owner.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
IMG_1617.jpeg (2.89 MB, 0 views)
Old April 21st, 2024, 07:28 PM
Oldsdruid

First I thought about the Northern Lights Olds Club based in Edmonton, then I remembered how vast Canada is. Edmonton is about 6 hours from you but the Northern Lights group is a great bunch of people.

Several of us here have 1970s full-size cars so someone should be able to answer questions.
Old April 21st, 2024, 07:54 PM

Thank you all for your answers, I can’t answer everyone. Thanks again, I will work on it as many days as my free time allows.
Old April 22nd, 2024, 04:24 AM

I moved your post to your original thread. You accidentally replied to a different thread. Probably because of the "continuing scroll" feature.