Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

1970 Cutlass LS Swap Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2021, 06:50 PM

1970 Cutlass LS Swap Fitment Issues

Configuration:
1970 Cutlass Supreme 2 door
LM7 5.3
4L60e
Fbody Oil Pan
UMI 4008 Mounts
Hope to retain factory A/C.

We are having problems with the bell housing hitting the transmission tunnel. With motor / oil pan as close to the frame as possible, the bell housing is hitting the transmission tunnel. We removed the bolts that hold body on frame so we could lift the body up, however, with engine/transmission near where we believe it will mount (creating right driveline angle), the tunnel hits. The body is raised about 1" to make it fit.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?
Our car is very nice - we hate to cut tunnel if we don't have to, but in the end, if we must, we will. One hates to chop up a nice cutlass.

Also, what crossmember are people running for this configuration? We hoped to "refactor" the factory one but want to make sure drive line angle is appropriate. Maybe it's simply better to purchase one. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 24th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Beer Connoisseur

check out my build here on CO, https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-parts-148422/

6.0/4l80e, no cutting or modifying the tunnel. Used Holley everything.

Old May 24th, 2021, 06:56 PM

I am running a 4l60 in my vista with UMI mounts. I had to make a new trans tunnel to get it to fit.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ruiser-148770/
Old May 24th, 2021, 09:29 PM

Nice build and excellent documentation. Sure wish we would have read your post before purchasing UMI mounts... However, the UMI mounts are pretty low. The Holley looks like it may be more forward. Thanks for sharing it.
Old May 24th, 2021, 09:33 PM

Very nice documentation and awesome job on the vista! That's one very cool wagon!. I sort of cringe to cut our cutlass tunnel but if it turned out as good as yours, I wouldn't feel bad. I'm still hopeful somehow, someway, we can get the UMI mounts with a proper transmission mount to work. I see you refactored your original crossmember.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 11:05 AM

What motor mounts did you go with?

Originally Posted by bsauer
Configuration:
1970 Cutlass Supreme 2 door
LM7 5.3
4L60e
Fbody Oil Pan
UMI 4008 Mounts
Hope to retain factory A/C.

We are having problems with the bell housing hitting the transmission tunnel. With motor / oil pan as close to the frame as possible, the bell housing is hitting the transmission tunnel. We removed the bolts that hold body on frame so we could lift the body up, however, with engine/transmission near where we believe it will mount (creating right driveline angle), the tunnel hits. The body is raised about 1" to make it fit.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?
Our car is very nice - we hate to cut tunnel if we don't have to, but in the end, if we must, we will. One hates to chop up a nice cutlass.

Also, what crossmember are people running for this configuration? We hoped to "refactor" the factory one but want to make sure drive line angle is appropriate. Maybe it's simply better to purchase one. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks for your help.