Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

91 Olds CC 305 TBI Dead on road!

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2021, 01:53 PM

91 Olds CC 305 TBI Dead on road!

Yesterday my 91 CC decided it was a good day to slowly die and turn to the road side. It felt like a lawn mower running out of gas. I could watch the tach slowly bounce and drop to zero. It would restart but as soon as I put it in gear and moved forward it dies. Each time quicker and finally now it just cranks. I checked the fuel pump and injector fuses and they are not blown. I removed the air cleaner and had my wife crank it. The injector initially sprays a little but then just dribbles a few drops after the first try. The tank is 3/4 full, I just filled it Friday. I cannot here a sound in the fuel tank when the cap is off and I turn the key to start. I haven't replaced the Fuel Pump Relay yet but I did order one and a fuel pump. Am I correct in assuming the pump died? It as been hard to start lately, especially on my inclined driveway. SES shows only one code which was already there, 32, for the EGR. The light did not come on before sudden death. I get the 32 code occasionally when I run at highway speeds but the light clears after I shut the car off. I have replaced the EGR valve and the EGR solenoid and it stills comes on once in awhile. I kinda stopped chasing that thread. I had to get towed by AAA the two remaining miles to my house. It WAS a good day since the brake job I did over the weekend had cured my warped rotors.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 05:08 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It probably is the fuel pump, I've seen it and had one die on me personally. Mine bled down and eventually quit all together. The relays were pretty reliable, any less than about 10 psi and a TBI won't run. The factory TBI system is overall pretty reliable. The small distributor cap and rotor get nice and green inside from corrosion, it was always the first thing changed if they came into the shop missing.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; June 2nd, 2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 05:44 PM

When my fuel pump went on my 92 CC I dribbled some gas down the TBI throat and it fired but died. My car also died while driving due to a bad module/dried grease under it in the distributer. These are only yet 2 times it let me down.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 05:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

I would suggest starting fluid in the throttle body instead of dribbling gas, but yeah, that's a good way to test if the problem is fuel or not. FYI, the fuel pump relay only operates the pump for that initial two second run when you turn the key. Once the engine starts, there's an oil pressure switch that bypasses the relay and powers the pump directly. If the relay goes bad, the engine will frequently start after a long cranking period to build oil pressure. My money is on the pump.