Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Small block Chevy lifter/ pushrod problem

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2022, 03:29 PM

Small block Chevy lifter/ pushrod problem

So I had a reman engine dropped in my 94 Sierra 4x4 and it’s been nothin big problems bc the people I took it too must be hacks. I thought I was saving myself time but now it’s cost me a bunch of money and time so I shoulda done it myself. Oh well lesson learned. The intake started leaking so I changed the intake gaskets myself and changed the oil and attempted to start the truck. It ran but it had a wicked tick coming from the passenger side bank. I pulled the valve cover and checked with a stethoscope and found it to be cylinder 4’s exhaust valve. I checked the lash adjustment and u can’t spin the pushrod at all. I took the rocker off and u can’t even pull the pushrod out or spin it at all it won’t budge. Is this the sign of a stuck lifter or something worse? I put riselone in the oil and tried running it but I could see that it’s not getting oil up that push rod so I stopped. I sprayed penetrating oil down the push rod and let it soak to see if that would free it up and it didn’t do anything
what could this be? Does this mean I gotta take the intake back off and change the lifters or did I wipe out part of the cam I don’t understand
Old September 27th, 2022, 03:50 PM

Could be a badly bent pushrod. Pull the intake? Probably.

Sorry to hear and good luck!!!
Old September 27th, 2022, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Could be a badly bent pushrod. Pull the intake? Probably.

Sorry to hear and good luck!!!
the weird part is it ran quiet when I pulled it in the garage to do the intake and when I had the intake off everything looked fine in there
Old September 27th, 2022, 04:20 PM

If you have a borescope you could probably see in there with a valve cover removed.
Old September 28th, 2022, 03:50 AM

If it is a remanufactured engine it should have a warranty ???? I would not touch it before contacting the reman company and see what they say.
Old September 28th, 2022, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
If it is a remanufactured engine it should have a warranty ???? I would not touch it before contacting the reman company and see what they say.
there’s a crazy story to this engine and the people who put it in that’s way too long and complicated and basically it’s had to be warrantied out twice and I’m at the point where If I want it done the right way i gotta do it myself
Old October 1st, 2022, 06:09 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Olds power it, the Olds 350 was a welcome upgrade in my 94 Z71. Yes, you can run the factory TBI with a 307 CCC distributor. Same wire colours, ground the extra black wire and advance the base timing, 10 to 20 degrees. The F body 403 mounts basically work and get the Transdapt bellhousing adapter. The truck is trying to tell you something😉.
Old October 1st, 2022, 10:17 AM

dd,
I just now thought of something. You had the intake off ?? On small block Chevy engines there are a couple of intake bolts that will hit a pushrod if you put too long of a bolt in the wrong position. Any chance that is what happened ?? That will lock up a pushrod for sure.
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:24 PM

dd,
I just now thought of something. You had the intake off ?? On small block Chevy engines there are a couple of intake bolts that will hit a pushrod if you put too long of a bolt in the wrong position. Any chance that is what happened ?? That will lock up a pushrod for sure.
u might be on to something there
I ended up taking the intake off and changing all the lifters and put the intake back on and now the # 5 exhaust is doin the same thing #4 was on the other side of the motor
maybe I got a bolt that’s too long that I keep sticking in the middle of the manifold but this time I put it on the other side of the intake I’m gonna look into that for sure
Old October 8th, 2022, 08:44 AM

dd,
u were right I pulled that bolt outta there and it was fine it woulld have taken me forever to figure that out without your help the bolt was barely hitting that pushrod but it was enough to cause problems
Old October 8th, 2022, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by deltsanddueces
u were right I pulled that bolt outta there and it was fine it woulld have taken me forever to figure that out without your help the bolt was barely hitting that pushrod but it was enough to cause problems
Glad I thought of it !
Old October 8th, 2022, 07:44 PM
72Cutlass S

I have built alot of SBCs over the years and have never run into this. Good info and something to look out out for.