Non-Oldsmobile Classified Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Ferrari FF V12 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2014, 02:27 AM

Ferrari FF V12 engine swap

Hey guys,

Came across this engine. Out of my financial grasp, but if some of you enthusiasts would be interested in this engine, it'd be amazing to see and hear the results

The conrods each costing $114 in cyl. 5 & 6 need replacing, other than that, engine is in perfect condition.

Quote from Wikipedia:
The Ferrari FF has the largest capacity road-going Ferrari engine ever produced: a 6,262 cc (6.3 L; 382.1 cu in) naturally aspirated direct injected 65° V12, which produces 660 PS (485 kW; 651 hp) at 8,000 rpm and 683 N·m (504 lb·ft) of torque at 6000 rpm
Background on damage, owner tried to drive out of flood water damaging compromising cylinders 5&6 It is not believed there is any more damage although further investigation will be completed once the head is removed. I have details of the original cars VIN number and history back which was bought through the insurance companies agent.VAT is recoverable on the sale of this engine @ 20%
I may even be interested in a p/x if you had an imaginative deal in mind....
Can anyone please tell me if this is a realistic option? Crate motors go for $83,600+

I'd love to see this in a 442, or maybe even a Cutlass. Oh, and maybe it could even be in Gran Turismo 7!
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:04 AM

Where does it say push rod damage?
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Where does it say push rod damage?
Pushrods, sorry...

Relisting Update: The engines bottom end has now been opened and i couldn't be more pleased. Our assumptions have proved correct and the only obvious damage are two £68 conrods. One head will have to come off to change the conrods and one cylinder liner and piston needs checking but all easily done. This is such an amazing engine design and so simple to work on.
I assume your interested in this engine?
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:54 AM

My guess is that you could get a decent 442 for the price he's asking for this engine, and I don't even know what that is. I'm not even sure the FF is street legal here in the states. The Enzo is not because they refuse to crash one for the DOT and I'm guessing Ferrarri would be less inclined to crash an FF. As far as putting a beast of an engine in an Oldsmobile I think Jay Leno put an engine exceeding 1000 HP in a Toronado which was also converted to rear wheel drive.
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by mike8162
My guess is that you could get a decent 442 for the price he's asking for this engine, and I don't even know what that is. I'm not even sure the FF is street legal here in the states. The Enzo is not because they refuse to crash one for the DOT and I'm guessing Ferrarri would be less inclined to crash an FF. As far as putting a beast of an engine in an Oldsmobile I think Jay Leno put an engine exceeding 1000 HP in a Toronado which was also converted to rear wheel drive.
Couldn't you just replace the motor and be excempt from emission testing because of age?

And the FF is defo street legal as I've seen loads being driven in the states, all tagged
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:14 AM

Oops, I looked it up and I was thinking of the FXX. This is the car you don't even get to park in your garage. Ferrari brings it to the track for you and takes it away when your done. All this for about 2 1/2 million.
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:29 AM

Oops, I looked it up and I was thinking of the FXX. This is the car you don't even get to park in your garage. Ferrari brings it to the track for you and takes it away when your done. All this for about 2 1/2 million.
I know about the FXX... hehehe. If there's less than 25 of those (or was it the Maserati MC-12 built with the same engine, can't remember?), I doubt someone would sell the engine if a single car hasn't even been given out/sold to the public

I'm sure if someone could title a FXX in their name, they could send an application to NHTSA in the US and get it in under "Show and Display", because an FXX is a advancement of technology and has all of the lighting requirements a road car. Boo hoo if it doesn't have a airbag, classic cars don't, there's hardly any crashes in those.
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:40 AM

I actually prefer a car without an airbag. I realize this probably never happens, but when driving my 540 I am always thinking of the airbag blowing off in my face. It doesn't consume my brain but the thought is always there. Without them I like to think people would drive a little smarter.
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The engine doesn't have to be US-legal. Is any custom engine put together by any engine builder tested by the government? Duh.

As for this one, for someone with deep pockets, a sense of humor, and some ingenuity, I think this, plus a stout 4:11 or 4:56 gear would be killer in an Olds (especially a beat-up sleeper ).

- Eric
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM

I actually prefer a car without an airbag. I realize this probably never happens, but when driving my 540 I am always thinking of the airbag blowing off in my face. It doesn't consume my brain but the thought is always there. Without them I like to think people would drive a little smarter.
Likewise, dad has a Dodge Caliber converted to RHD, I don't trust the air bag
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The engine doesn't have to be US-legal. Is any custom engine put together by any engine builder tested by the government? Duh.

As for this one, for someone with deep pockets, a sense of humor, and some ingenuity, I think this, plus a stout 4:11 or 4:56 gear would be killer in an Olds (especially a beat-up sleeper ).

- Eric
Yes, Eric, my man.

All Olds sold seem to be either crappy, un-restored, dug-up-from-the-1970s condition, extremely high priced restorations, or restored Olds that only have the original frame, everything else being modern (e.g stereo, body-kits, rice exhaust kit) and cost more than a house my whole family could afford

Now, that reminds me, has anyone seen a rolling shell for the '71/72 442? Maybe I could do a Prius swap and build a car for my grandma, or get a £5k 4L Toyota V6 racing engine

I'd build myself a racing car, and build her something that would be eco-friendly, easy to drive, and not too much (baring in mind the fact that she isn't like most nannies, she can afford to be well off, buy me a car, and have some left-overs for self-entertainment)

The way I change the topic hehehe
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Well, what else is there? Unrestored, restored, or modified; I think you covered everything. I suppose you didn't list great condition survivor or good restoration, both of which being sold at a loss due to a desperate owner.

These cars are on a rebound; they haven't been bargains in 15 years.
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Well, what else is there? Unrestored, restored, or modified; I think you covered everything. I suppose you didn't list great condition survivor or good restoration, both of which being sold at a loss due to a desperate owner.

These cars are on a rebound; they haven't been bargains in 15 years.
That: There's one being sold for $12,500 if anyone's interested, well... it's an Auction but I've seen it go down from $18,000 to $12,500, it's here
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:01 AM

Lightbulb

- Eric
On that note, can I just say, the engine costs $20-something K, right?
There's a rolling shell here, if your hands are in the right place, and you're skilful, you could buy the engine and the tranny that you mentioned, and you'd have a nice extra Ferrari, with 2013 power, made in 1972

Someone, pretty please, buy the chassis and the engine! I've seen no more than 6 videos of Ferrari swaps, I'm sure this would get attention. The engine is still under warranty (it's a separate part) which means you could get your Olds serviced at a Ferrari dealer. You could race for team Ferrari as well, they build engines and chassis, so you could enter a Ferrari-engine race
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM

40 years from now someone will take that engine a create a Ferrari from it.

Henry
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 66400

Henry
Didn't get that? Ferrari themselves aren't all that good... it's a shame no-one makes upgrades for them because I'm sure that if the V8 engines (like the one in the California) were upgraded, or tuned up, or even NOS'd they could outperform an american engine

Seriously, someone with the money, make it happen!
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 66400

Henry
Didn't get that? Ferrari themselves aren't all that good... it's a shame no-one makes upgrades for them because I'm sure that if the V8 engines (like the one in the California) were upgraded, or tuned up, or even NOS'd they could outperform an american engine

Seriously, someone with the money, make it happen!
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 420weblazeit
Pushrods, sorry...

I assume your interested in this engine?
I'm not.

I'm interested in how you determined damage done.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
I'm not.

I'm interested in how you determined damage done.
Seller determined it by dis-assembling engine, I didn't, it's not mine, or in my possession. If it was, I'd sell it off and buy a '71 442!
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:03 PM

- Eric
I was actually talking about the FXX as an entire car. I was mistaken, thinking that the FF was the FXX. My bad. And yes I do understand you can put pretty much put anything in a custom car without the DOT's permission.
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:12 PM
morgan

Is this a ferrari or oldsmobile forum
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
Is this a ferrari or oldsmobile forum
This is a General Discussion board. Agreed, should have placed it in the non-Oldsmobile section. Could a moderator move this?
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 420weblazeit
Seller determined it by dis-assembling engine, I didn't, it's not mine, or in my possession. If it was, I'd sell it off and buy a '71 442!

Thats why I asked in my first question.

If it only needed a pushrod, he'd fix it and sell it as a running engine.
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Let's see. For the price of the engine, you could buy a nice 442. Probably for the price if getting it running you could buy another one. By the time you buy a car and install the engine you could probably have a 69 Hurst Olds. It would be cool to have this engine is whatever. Can you imagine what kind of suspension you would have to have. Somebody with lots of $$$ will put this in a street rod.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Let's see. For the price of the engine, you could buy a nice 442. Probably for the price if getting it running you could buy another one. By the time you buy a car and install the engine you could probably have a 69 Hurst Olds. It would be cool to have this engine is whatever. Can you imagine what kind of suspension you would have to have. Somebody with lots of $$$ will put this in a street rod.
V12... Ferrari... street rod... interesting
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:33 AM

I'd like to know how you replace rods 5 & 6 on a V12 engine with removing exactly ONE head? do the rods not alternate L/R bank down the crank?

Interestingly, and OLDS related, and tangential to this thread... at the Olds Museum I saw an experimental 60 degree V6 engine. exhaust outlet had strong resemblance to our 65-90 V8's, with deep ribs atop the port. Interesting item... Have photo, but painful to get to show up here. It looked like half the above Brand F engine.... w/o the intake.
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
I'd like to know how you replace rods 5 & 6 on a V12 engine with removing exactly ONE head? do the rods not alternate L/R bank down the crank?

Interestingly, and OLDS related, and tangential to this thread... at the Olds Museum I saw an experimental 60 degree V6 engine. exhaust outlet had strong resemblance to our 65-90 V8's, with deep ribs atop the port. Interesting item... Have photo, but painful to get to show up here. It looked like half the above Brand F engine.... w/o the intake.
Olds museum? Address please? Pictures!