88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Gas Tank Lines???

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2021, 08:23 AM

88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Gas Tank Lines???

Hey out there.
Bought a new tank and sending unit for my 88 Cutlass which had been sitting since 2012.
Put it in and car started up when adding fuel to the carb but after it burned off it quit.
removed fuel line to the carburetor and no gas getting there.
Here's my question.
On the sending unit there are 3 hard lines - large - small - medium.
The hard lines going to the front of the car at the top same thing.
The original rubber gas hoses were made pre curved.
When I installed rubber gas lines I just installed large to large line - small to small - medium to medium.
That is how they go correct? The rubber lines I ran did criss cross a little bit but was just looking at the size of the hard lines.
Thanks for anyone's input on the situation.
Old October 19th, 2021, 04:40 PM

All 3 preformed rubber lines lay side by side. The fat one goes to the fuel supply. Medium one goes to the fuel vent canister (fitting on canister is marked "TANK"). Small one is the fuel pump return line. Make sure all of them trace out where they should go. If the fat one goes anywhere else but the suction side of the pump, you'll not get gas.

It is possible you don't have a good prime to the carb yet. I've been successful in the past using a plastic syringe to fill the carb bowl through the vent with gas. Running the car a bit, then when it quits, do it again. Eventually it will self prime after a few tries. This isn't likely the best way to do it, but it works.

Another way is take a mighty vac or similar and hook it to the hose going to the fuel pump supply. Keep drawing a vacuum until the fuel comes into the container. Then hook it up back to the pump.

I'd resist blocking the canister connection, removing the fuel hose to the pump and putting the end into a bucket and then pressurizing the tank with air to prime the line, as it could be too much at once and you could damage something. It's do-able, but risky. And probably messy.
Old October 20th, 2021, 12:27 PM

I had to replace my fuel pump after sitting for about a year, something to keep in mind, I dont think the older pump materials hold up to the new gas, anyway new fuel pump and no more issues.
Old October 21st, 2021, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
All 3 preformed rubber lines lay side by side. The fat one goes to the fuel supply. Medium one goes to the fuel vent canister (fitting on canister is marked "TANK"). Small one is the fuel pump return line. Make sure all of them trace out where they should go. If the fat one goes anywhere else but the suction side of the pump, you'll not get gas.

It is possible you don't have a good prime to the carb yet. I've been successful in the past using a plastic syringe to fill the carb bowl through the vent with gas. Running the car a bit, then when it quits, do it again. Eventually it will self prime after a few tries. This isn't likely the best way to do it, but it works.

Another way is take a mighty vac or similar and hook it to the hose going to the fuel pump supply. Keep drawing a vacuum until the fuel comes into the container. Then hook it up back to the pump.

I'd resist blocking the canister connection, removing the fuel hose to the pump and putting the end into a bucket and then pressurizing the tank with air to prime the line, as it could be too much at once and you could damage something. It's do-able, but risky. And probably messy.
Thanks for replies. I understand which ones do what but the 3 hard lines at the top of the undercarriage should be same size as the lines into the sending unit correct? Which all were noticeable different size . All I did was size line to size line with obviously the middle line the smallest