'96 LSS, Driver door wont open from the outside, "sometimes"..

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2022, 02:46 PM

'96 LSS, Driver door wont open from the outside, "sometimes"..

'96 supercharged 3.8 LSS.
Recently, attempting simple normal entry through driver side door, typical "lift" handle action (which just now checking the specifics of door opening requirement, and it did work, but please read all this dilemma), and it simply would not open the door. No felt latch hookup undoing by lifting the handle, like is felt when it works properly, ie. something unlatching at top of handle lift, and door opens. So I simply parked the LSS until I was ready to get around to (my thinking) put/clip a little keeper back onto a metal rod. In the meantime I drive the V-8 Tundra, (which I thoroughly enjoy, but I digress).
Well, yesterday, I needed to move the LSS, so crawled in the passenger side, stuck the key in the ignition and lowered the driver side window, knowing from recent experience I can reach in and open the driver door from inside through the driver door window. Crawled out of passenger side, went back around to driver side, mindlessly grabbed the door handle on the "outside", and voila, the door opens as pretty as ya please.
Hmmm. So, tested it again "with the window down" and sure enough, the door handle unlatches the door. Dang, dang, dang, I hate these sometimes faulty situations!!! Anyway, got done what was needed to move the car for and returned it to where it is left parked. Tried the door handle "with the window up" and nope, nope, nope, dang thing now doesn't open the dang door! Total smooth up and down of the handle with no tripping of the latch. Dang it!
So it has been parked with no-one doing anything to it until I just now went out to check exactly the function of handle movement to open the door, and dang, dang, dang, the door opens (And the window was up!).
Please, anyone have any idea what may be going on in this situation so I know what to be watching for when I tear into the door to figure it all out?

Last edited by John96OldsLSS; May 11th, 2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 11th, 2022, 09:37 PM

Try locking and unlocking forcefully a couple times. I had an issue with my 67 Cutlass where the lock was slightly depressed from leaning through the window and it stopped working from the outside. I tried unlocking and it still didn't work. Accidentally pressed the lock button again and yanked it back up to unlock and it started working again. My guess is it has something to do with the grease in the lock mechanism going stale or dirt and grime build-up in the mechanism.
Old May 12th, 2022, 08:31 PM

"cjsdad", I believe ya may be onto something there. My seeming to fix it was slam the damn door a few times, believing the problem maybe related to the electric lock. Outside handle seems to work now. Just went out to double check it as well as flip the lock unlock a number of times, and it still works. Even though I have some hearing loss, right after the lock button moves up or down, there is a metallic tang or echo. Having no reason to pay attention to the sound of the lock before, don't know whether is normal or not, but the outside door handle opens the door now. Thanks for your input.
But starting up just now, the dang check engine light is flashing. Hopefully it has to do with it simply sitting for a short while, or an 02 sensor. Guess I'll just start driving it again, me being able to get in and out the drivers door, and see if the light goes off. Dang, dang, dang!

Edit: Just got back from auto parts store and having "check engine" read. Some intermittent something so had 'em simply clear the code. Have started and stopped engine a few times since and no repeat "check engine".

Last edited by John96OldsLSS; May 13th, 2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old May 13th, 2022, 06:45 AM

The electric door switches on my 96 98 sometimes don't lock/unlock completely. This happens because the door panel surround of the door switch is deteriorated and doesn't snap completely into place. I've been able to fix this on two of the doors by replacing the lock switches and door panel surrounds with parts from the salvage yard. There were 3 interior colors for the LSS & 98 in the 90s tan, gray and black. I got some extras last time I was at the salvage yard, I just haven't installed them yet.
Old May 13th, 2022, 04:54 PM

Driver door not unlatching, fixed.

You (anyone) can read through the above original post and replies, but bottom line, my locking problem seemed to be a glitch in the door handle unlatching/locking system of my driver's door that "simply" some door slamming or fussing with the lock (pressing lock/unlock buttons repeatedly) seemed to have fixed.

Last edited by John96OldsLSS; September 18th, 2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old May 24th, 2022, 08:45 AM

You guys wouldn't actually believe one of the issues with my 92 cutlass, the door won't open sometimes because the rubber molding they used around the door lock striker on the body had deteriorated away, ever since then, it doesn't open correctly anymore, it sticks constantly unless you open from the too of the door handle