Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2024, 11:33 AM

Location: In the Uk in an area called The Midlands (which are in the middle :-))
Convertible top

Firstly a Happy New Year to all from the sunny (but cold) UK. I have a 1950 Rocket 88 convertible; For some reason the convertible roof has decided to give up today. I’ve had the car for about 4 months and it has worked fine although it’s’ always been very slow. The system was rebuilt in 2021. Today it tried to go up, came to a halt so I put it down and now it won’t move. I suspect low fluid although I can find no leaks. Electrical connections seem OK and I can hear the solenoid on the pump engaging. There is nothing in the Shop Manual regarding convertibles and I’ve searched this forum but can’t find anything specific. Any advice on what to check first and how to bleed/fill it would be greatly appreciated.

Old January 7th, 2024, 04:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I fooled with a 50 convertible a few years ago that was in an estate that I was executor of. It belonged to a deceased friend of mine. The pump is under the left front fender I believe (pretty sure). The first thing I would look for are leaks. Remember this car is now 74 years old. The cylinders could be leaking or the pump could be leaking. This is the same pump that operates the power windows and power seat. So if you have either of those and they are working. the pump should be fine. A word of caution. Use only ATF in the system. Do not use brake fluid since it will eat paint if it gets on it. For some reason, it seems convretibles are rarely covered back then. I had a 54 convertible and never saw a supplement or anything in the shop manual.
Old January 8th, 2024, 01:05 PM

Location: In the Uk in an area called The Midlands (which are in the middle :-))
Thanks Glenn,

I found the pump OK and, as I said can hear the solenoid and I’ve checked the current to the pump so all good. I can’t hear the pump running I don’t ever recall hearing it though. Can you tell me where I should fill the system or check the level of the fluid?
Old January 11th, 2024, 08:17 PM

First, figure out if it has brake fluid or ATF, don't mix the two. It was very common to use brake fluid in the fifties.ATF is much better and does not draw moisture like brake fluid. If it is like a 55 there should be a rubber plug on the side of the pump, approximately 1/4 inch in diameter, use a bunch of shop rags all around the pump and feed it carefully, easy to make a mess here, I use a plastic ketchup bottle with a little hose on it. It's been a while since I have done this, but I believe the cylinders need to be extended as far as they will go which may not be much if very low. Repeat the filling process till all the air is removed, and the pump is full....Tedd
Old January 11th, 2024, 09:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I was bleeding the system on the 54 I had. I disconnected the cylinders.so I didn't have to run the top up and down to cycle the cylinders. If you do that a couple of times you will probably have to wait for the circuit breaker to reset. Here is an article I found. It addresses a 1948 Buick but it should be the same as you Olds. Here is the link.

1948 Roadmaster Power Top/Windows - Adding Fluid - Buick - Post War - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)