Help ! Car goes into full acceleration with no gas’

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2019, 09:05 PM

Help ! Car goes into full acceleration with no gas’

Hey everyone I own a 72 cutlass and I was reversing out of a gas station when my gas pedal felt like it was stuck to the floor and then I started full accelerating in reverse so I mashed the brakes but I have a brake boost leak so it will still accelerate I put it in drive and then cut it off the pedal is like loose and I don’t know what the problem is. Also I got a new transmission put in but I don’t think it is relevant because it was working fine. Please help me
Old July 26th, 2019, 09:09 PM

There should be a spring on the side of the carb where the throttle cable connects to the carb linkage. Your spring likely came loose or broke.
Old July 26th, 2019, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Disconnect the throttle linkage and make sure the carburetor and the cable moves freely. There is also a detent cable that runs from the accelerator pedal to the trans if you have T350.
Old July 26th, 2019, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Disconnect the throttle linkage and make sure the carburetor and the cable moves freely. There is also a detent cable that runs from the accelerator pedal to the trans if you have T350.
I have a new tci t-350 cuz the other one blew out ( original very old high mileage plus teenage car enthusiast)
Old July 27th, 2019, 01:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
^^^^This. The accelerator cable is a braided steel cable inside a plastic sheath. The individual strands of the braided cable eventually break due to wear, which creates sharp edges that dig into the inside of the plastic sheath. This causes the cable to bind, jamming the throttle. I've had this happen on two different vehicles in the last 45 years. The fact that the pedal is loose confirms this. Replace the cable.
Old July 27th, 2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
^^^^This. The accelerator cable is a braided steel cable inside a plastic sheath. The individual strands of the braided cable eventually break due to wear, which creates sharp edges that dig into the inside of the plastic sheath. This causes the cable to bind, jamming the throttle. I've had this happen on two different vehicles in the last 45 years. The fact that the pedal is loose confirms this. Replace the cable.
Okay thanks! How do I go about replacing the cable?
Old July 27th, 2019, 10:43 AM

I fixed it but i don’t know how

I just pushed the throttle control from the carb a few times and then messed with the throttle cable down at the pedal and it works now. I drove her in the neighborhood to see if she was good and she is although she’s slipping at like 30-40 mph not hard but noticeable. And fluid is full and good. Although there’s a little leftover fluid from the blown tranny I’m thinking if I just keep changing the fluid eventually there will be no more of that black burnt trans fluid. Thanks everyone!
Old July 27th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Administrator

If its the cable, the problem will return at the most inopportune time. You may want to rethink your strategy.