Want to build/rebuild..

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Ringo

Want to build/rebuild..

Hello all,
First post around here, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Rob, and I'm a college kid in Florida. I'll preface my question(s) by saying that my knowledge of cars is very, ver miniscule. I've always been interested in the mechanics of a car, I'm good with my hands, and building things is my fortay. I know that doesn't translate into car knoweldge, but gotta start somewhere, right? There are a few places near/around my hometown (and college town, actually) that have old Oldsmobile parts/cars and I wanted to potentially try my first crack at an engine. My question is - Can anyone point me in the direction of some good books/tutorials about engines for beginners, and maybe Oldsmobiles specifically? Thanks in advance!

Ringo

Old November 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Welcome Rob...I am a newbie to this forum as well, but not to mechanic work.
ok...well you have your work cut out for you. I only have a few pointers but but add mine to every one elses and pick out the ones that work for YOU. Not everyones ideas or thought process work for everybody else. Bear in mind that there may very well be more than one way to do something. Each one can be correct in thier own right. Use the addage."opinions are like ***holes everybody has them and they all stink" Listen to EVERYTHING and after a while you will be able to weed out the crap, and hone in on the good stuff. This will apply in every aspect of working on the car. Now here are two of MY tips that may get you started.

First. READ ALOT!!!! Get in the books, do the research. Go to the library, the internet, or wherever and get all the info you can on what you want to do. This forum has some real good gearheads on here, and some jamokes who would pour tranny fluid in the brake reservoir because someone TOLD them that it would make them stop better (do NOT do this...just useing it as an example) I use the tech articles on www.442.com and www.oldspower.com which I swear is a sibling of this forum.

Second tip. Lable and bag EVERYTHING when you dissasemble it. I STILL use sandwich baggies for the valve cover bolts and I have been doing this for about 15 years now. Sharpies are my best friend. I use masking tape flags for wires or vacuum lines. Get a number steel stamp set for the connection rod numbering. If I don't plan on getting them rebuilt, I strike numbers in the rod and the corresponding cap (this item will be read by a fellow gearhead and he will go DUH because that is standard practice...)

Free tip (I know I said two, but I am on a rant now...) if you get stuck do NOT be afraid to ask for help...a fresh set of eyes is always welcome. They may not give you exactly what you need (the answer) but it could get you thinking.

I am sure there is more to follow to include some criticism of my post I am sure.

Done now!!! Good luck

John
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Ringo, John has some good points. Unless I didn't read your post well, I am still not sure exactly what you are planning. Are you looking to buy a project and fix it up or are you going to re-build an engine and you are thinking about using an Oldsmobile? Lots of difference between the answers you will get. If you are looking for specifics on engine re-building and especially Oldsomobiles I agree with John, your best place to go would be R.O.P. as they have a lot of very experience engine builders over there, the website has been around for ages, and they have a HUGE sub-forum on engine combos and engine tech. It would take you a year to read all the posts on that single forum! And, welcome to our site.
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Hello, There are a lot of books out there but the one I grew up with is the "Motors" Engine Manuel. They quit making them but they are still out there especially on Ebay. I would look to get an 1974/1975 manuel. They cover and go back about 7/8 years so it will cover lower and higher compression engines plus the detail is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Haynes/Clymers etc. The rest of the manuels are B-movie compared to "Motors." The give u clearances, spec's, tools needed and even pictures. I have a "few" of these manuels, a couple are worn out pretty good. Just my opinion of a good place to start. Ken
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Talking Motors manual

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Hello, There are a lot of books out there but the one I grew up with is the "Motors" Engine Manuel. They quit making them but they are still out there especially on Ebay. I would look to get an 1974/1975 manuel. They cover and go back about 7/8 years so it will cover lower and higher compression engines plus the detail is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Haynes/Clymers etc. The rest of the manuels are B-movie compared to "Motors." The give u clearances, spec's, tools needed and even pictures. I have a "few" of these manuels, a couple are worn out pretty good. Just my opinion of a good place to start. Ken
Damn, I thought i was the only one that still uses my Motor's Repair manual (not Engine). it was my FIRST book, bought in 1989 in tech college, and it still (in its ragged state) is the most used book i own.