Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1964 Olds Starfire Cnvt---What options?

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2023, 02:23 PM

1964 Olds Starfire Cnvt---What options?

Hi. Just picked up. a driver 64 starfire convertible. Loaded with options but body tag lists ACC as "2K". Presently AC, PW, Power vent, wonder bar radio, power antenna, cruise, cornering lights, autronic eye. Not sure if "2K" is a package or if they did not list all options. Any insight appreciated.Car is old and so two previous owners may have added options?

Last edited by 64SF; June 1st, 2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old June 1st, 2023, 04:59 PM

nice car.i miss my starfire everyday.i do have to ask. you said it has wonderbar radio, does it have 2 dimmer switches on the floor?if so the right one changes the radio station..
Old June 2nd, 2023, 06:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

See my response to your question on the AACA website.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 05:55 PM

Body tag accessory codes on a certification tag are not an all inclusive option list; they only cover what Fisher Body needed to do to the car on their end.
Old June 5th, 2023, 02:58 PM
Jeff

If you look at my for sale ad, I had included a picture of the window sticker. My former car was only missing a couple of options: FM radio, reverb, speed sentinel, and fuel door edge guard (those were the only ones I know of for sure that existed and were not on my car). Anyway, the window sticker will show you all the std equipment and the options, including the RPO codes. Thus, if you ever decide to hunt down the parts for options not on your car, you'll have a good idea of what to look for.

Note, one item that was on early production '64's were the tri-bars on the high beams. Those were not an option, but the federal gov't made Olds remove them at a certain point during the early part of the model year run.
Old June 6th, 2023, 01:44 PM
Oldsdruid

If you look at the AACA thread again you'll see the body plates for my low-option Lansing car (no A/C but factory installed rear fender power antenna, all power antennas were on rear fender) with no option codes stamped in, and my loaded Linden car which has A31 (power windows) C60 (factory air) and U73 (rear mounted antenna, required with factory installed a/c due to evaporator interference) codes stamped in. Don't know what you'd find on a Doraville, Arlington or Kansas City build but as you see different plants did different things. Everyone knows the California plants did things no one else did.

I wouldn't get hung up on it. A Starfire being an upscale car was likely to have been optioned out by the original selling dealer and gadgety options are common on them.

Besides, cars like these don't get subjected to the 57 BelAir mentality where people load them up with every available option decades after the fact. Sure, the option might have been available, but not many 57 Chevrolets came optioned out like a Cadillac. Half what you see on showfields now are, though.

Myself, I'd be more interested in knowing if a 64 still had its chambered exhaust system, either original or properly restored. To my knowledge my green Lansing car is the only one extant that has the correct chambered pipe/resonators exhaust system, and I shelled out a shitload of money to acquire it.

Then a Starfire judge (OCA 65 SF advisor actually) at 2016 Nats tried to tell me only 65s had the chambered exhaust. I was talking with Marvin Jackson about what he'd have to do to take his Tahitian Yellow 64 coupe to the next level and this guy tells me that WTF?! and you're out here judging these cars?!

Rant off. Enjoy your Starfire and learn all you can about it.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 6th, 2023 at 02:14 PM.