Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1965 Starfire 4 Speed Convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

The wiring diagram is in the 1965 Oldsmobile Body Manual.

Old June 16th, 2021, 07:18 PM
mmmm, starfires

I do not know. I'll see if it is in my shop manual
Old June 23rd, 2021, 04:26 PM
mmmm, starfires

Picked up my bumpers today, and they look AMAZING. Could not find a single flaw, and I tried! Not bad for $1700. Today I learned 3 fullsize Olds bumpers will fit in a Tesla. 3 bumpers because I sent an extra core for them to fix the best of the 2 rear bumpers.

Old July 2nd, 2021, 04:34 PM
mmmm, starfires

The chassis was cleaned, detailed, and sprayed black and looks way better now

bumpers and taillights are being assembled and prepared for reinstallation. This is the FUN part of building a car...when all the new parts come together

Old July 2nd, 2021, 05:45 PM
Phantom Phixer

I love those '65 Starfire tail lights .
Stevie Wonder could see those come on !
Old July 2nd, 2021, 05:47 PM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by charlie jones
i love those '65 starfire tail lights .
Stevie wonder could see those come on !
lol
Old July 26th, 2021, 03:20 PM
mmmm, starfires

I wanted to add a power seat to this car. Amazingly enough I found a 14 year old post on google where a guy was parting out one of these cars, and the last piece he had left was the drivers seat. It was rust as hell and he cut the floor around the seat tracks and left the trashed bottom cushion attached and just sent me a huge mess. Got it busted down and restored and works good as new now.

Old July 26th, 2021, 09:42 PM

You did a good job of restoring that seat mechanism and tracks.
Old July 31st, 2021, 02:54 AM
mmmm, starfires

Will be attending the Olds nationals next week. I am looking for a set of 1965 valve covers if anyone has any.Checked on the car today. All that is left is a leaky power steering pump, check on a driveability issue, and an estimate to repair the AC (next year). Should be ready to pick up by September! Pretty happy about that

Chrome bits are installed

Old July 31st, 2021, 07:41 PM

Just caught up on this build and I really like it! I'm thrilled to see that you're restoring it mostly stock to original and it looks amazing. That super cool special Starfire rear end, the end of the line for the big Starfires, looks super sweet and actually outshines the front end IMO. Just one nit pick though, that piece of stainless that runs along the deck lid lip really needs to be cleaned up to the level of the bumper and the other rear trim IMO. You've gone this far, what's one more piece of trim? Love the car! Did you ever come to any definitive proof of it being a factory installed 4 speed?
Old August 1st, 2021, 05:33 PM
mmmm, starfires

I will likely get the car painted in a couple years. It needs it. its full of dents and dings and waves and scratches. I will do all the rest of the trim at that time. I'm just not ready for that financially right now. I've sunk a TON in to this car this year and last between the upholstery and restoration shop. I just want it "done" and in my garage for now. I can work on detailing the engine bay myself over the winter, and drive it next year
Old August 1st, 2021, 07:23 PM
Banned

Good for you. You must be so happy to have it this far. Nice work.
Old September 11th, 2021, 04:09 PM
mmmm, starfires

Small update on my 65 Starfire 4 speed convertible. The trunk has been properly painted, i finally found a proper pair of valve covers to paint and install, as well as reconditioning the air cleaner. Cars almost ready to come home. Been off the road over 30 years and been between various shops the last 4 years since I bought it.

Old September 11th, 2021, 04:37 PM
72 Olds CS

Wow whata great build the floormats are really nice and unique.
Old September 11th, 2021, 06:24 PM
Phantom Phixer

Where did you get the trunk paint from ?
I need some in that color .
Old September 11th, 2021, 07:40 PM

Congratulations on a great job and a fine looking, very appealing car. Factory build or no, it looks right and the clutch actuation parts look very correct in the underside shots. It is great to see the correct Oldsmobile clutch and brake pedals. When you have you car displayed with other purported 1965 factory four speed big car builds, you will see one or some with Chevy pedals, ouch. Good luck ~
Old September 12th, 2021, 04:07 AM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Where did you get the trunk paint from ?
I need some in that color .
its actually sold over the counter at your local GM Dealer. Its a GM Restoration Part
Old October 31st, 2021, 05:16 AM
mmmm, starfires

As with everything I do that is car related, there is a major setback with this build. I was supposed to pick it up at the end of September and be driving it right now. The road tests seemed OK but the brakes were never quite as good as needed, and the carb never ran right....it was always rich.

Come to find out, the engine only made 8" of vacuum instead of at least 16 to 18" needed. The motor passed all compression and leakdown tests just fine, and compression was good enough in each cylinder. Not sure if maybe there was a timing gear/chain issue, a leaking intake, or more possibly...the hackjob I bought the car from installed the incorrect cam. So, the engine is out of the car, and I dropped it off at a local machine shop I have used in the past for a stock rebuild. The car will be delivered to me this week for storage until the motor is done. This will give me some time to do an amateur detail job on the engine bay. The motor should be done around the first of the year. Also, the passenger lower fender had the bottom piece of trim missing. I found an NOS piece on eBay somehow. Upon installation, the hackjob previous owner cut the hole in the fender too big for the trim piece. So the shop had to fabricate a patch panel, and blend the paint in, so they could attach the piece. They quoted $550 for the whole procedure which seemed pretty reasonable and I think it turned out great.

Old November 4th, 2021, 02:20 PM
mmmm, starfires

Finally got the car "home" where it will stay until the motor is done. Also finally got the POS parts car moved off my concrete pad where I have been tripping over it and got it put in my new car port. Progress is being made slowly but surely.

Old January 21st, 2022, 11:49 AM
mmmm, starfires

I know the updates are slow as ***** but its not in my hands lol

My engine is being assembled as we speak, and my paintless dent guy is spending his second day on the car. Should be done after day 3. I was quoted about 30 to 50 repairs PER PANEL. yes the car was that bumpy. Price: $3300 for PDR. I will have my detail guy do his paint correction and ceramic coat on the car once its done, and total investment will be about $4000. Cheapest paint job quote I got was $20k. At least the car will go from a 4/10 to a 7ish/10

Old January 29th, 2022, 06:24 AM
mmmm, starfires

Updates are slow, I know. Paintless dent removal should be completed Monday January 31, and engine build should be finished the same week. Then the car and Motor will go back to the restoration shop, where engine bay reconditioning will commence, engine will go back in with a new clutch, and the car should be done for now!

Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:03 PM
mmmm, starfires

Engine is all done, and delivered back to the restoration shop. Break in procedure is to run the engine at 1800-2500 rpm for 30 minutes, let it cool off overnight, drive 100 miles and change the break in oil. Drive gently 500 miles and change oil again.

In about 3 weeks the car will be brought back to the restoration shop and they will recondition the engine bay, reinstall the engine and maybe do a little paint touchup on the body.

Old April 8th, 2022, 05:03 PM
mmmm, starfires

OK, so the car is back at the restoration shop. They immediately called me and praised the PDR guy for his amazing work

One good thing about the engine being out....time to recondition the engine bay! After copious amounts of sanding and degreasing, fresh paint was applied and I have to say....the pictures don't do it justice. It looks amazing!! I will make sure to replace the old hoses, etc so they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

I had totally forgotten that I talked to them about buffing the car. Well, they buffed it and it looks WAY better than I thought it could! This car had been neglected for about 30 years and there were signs of it acting as a shelf over the years where people put a box on the trunk and drag it off. That **** really irks me. BUT, the good news is that this old paint is looking freaking amazing! Between the PDR, the buff job, possibly a paint correction, and definitely ceramic coat, this car will look very presentable after all. I'm super happy with how it looks. Now of course my OCD is kicking in, and the front grille needs to be repainted now, and I also asked for them to polish and repaint the bottom trim panels. They did a test polishing and said all the trim would really come to life if they spent some time on it, so I said ok. Also, you can see the hood is being prepared to be painted underneath, and then the paint and trim will be buffed on the top.

The engine will go in next week. I need a radiator, and am struggling to find one. The shop located a guy in Beckley, WV that can make me a new one out of NOS parts he has in his inventory, so that should be happening soon.

I see the end on the horizon, and the car is looking the best it has in 3 decades. I'm getting really pumped to drive this car! Its been a long time coming!

Old April 16th, 2022, 06:32 PM
mmmm, starfires

Engine is in, and looks amazing. Carburetor is now on, and fan is installed. New and correct radiator has been located and ordered. One exhaust manifold was cracked and had to find one of them. I swear to god this car is fighting me every inch of the way. Should be driving within a month if all goes as well!

Old April 29th, 2022, 04:37 AM
mmmm, starfires

New radiator was destroyed by UPS, so it was returned for repair while I was on vacation at Disney. When I got home, the radiator was repaired, and I was asked to go get it, to avoid shipping damage. Sooo, I took an extra vacation day and drove into coal country West Virginia to get it. I dropped it off at the resto shop where they painted it, installed it, and installed the rest of the components on the engine. I also was able to see my hood was completed, with new hood insulation installed. The grille has been repainted and will be reinstalled soon.

Today, April 29 2022 I stopped by the shop for the first start of the engine. It runs real smooth and quiet....very happy with how it sounds! There are a couple minor adjustments to make, plus a few more heat cycles, change out the break in oil, then time for more test drives. It's almost done!

Old May 5th, 2022, 05:59 PM
mmmm, starfires

Today was the day! My first time sitting in the car, and even driving it, since I bought it and started this restoration 4 years ago!

For all who have been following this restoration, this was a great test drive! its great! It floats down the road I need to get used to how high the engines tach up in these older cars. Its very torquey!

I need to get used to the clutch....i may have chirped the tires a few times lol

I have ordered some finishing touches for the engine bay (decals and such).

Next on the list is to get the e-brake working, and fix the turn signal. Install the hood and center caps, and hook up the aftermarket dash gauges. Should be done very very soon
Old May 6th, 2022, 06:23 AM

Awesome that you've got it back on the road!! It's a beautiful car .
I'd be very interested in your plans for the "POS parts car" as I need some repairable rear quarter panels.
Old May 8th, 2022, 11:51 AM

That is one beautiful car! WOW, you have done an amazing job on the completion. The time and effort in locating part and shops for work is really impressive. The chrome and trim work is absolutely beautiful! I look forward to seeing it one day. You must be thrilled to get on the road and bang some gears! I guess the motor wouldn't fit in the Tesla.
Beautiful job,
Steve
Old May 9th, 2022, 12:06 PM
mmmm, starfires

Thanks guy. My parts cars are not going anywhere. I have a handful of these cars I need to keep running

And yes I'm pretty stoked to get it DONE. They are never truly done, but its good enough for now lol

This car was definitely a journey. One I don't know if I'll go on again. Theres just something about either buying a car already restored, or restoring a car where parts are readily available
Old May 9th, 2022, 12:11 PM
mmmm, starfires

Front end is back on, and engine decals are being installed. This air cleaner decal is not correct, so the proper one has been ordered.

I also finally tracked down a dipstick tube....the hardest thing for me to find for this whole build!

Car should be done in a week or two

Old May 13th, 2022, 04:49 PM
mmmm, starfires

Here we go....about 1 week until I can pick the car up. The final touches are being installed!

Here is the correct air cleaner decals are installed, and the new engine bay decals are being installed as well.

The latest issue with the car was getting the e-brake pedal to work. Long story short, I need a new e-brake pedal. They got it to work for now, but ultimately will need to be replaced. Bad news is the whole dash has to come out to do that, and I'm just not about that right now. Maybe next year when they take the dash out to tackle finishing the Air Conditioning refurbishment.
Old May 21st, 2022, 11:25 AM
mmmm, starfires

Picked my car up yesterday!! While it's not 100%, its about 98% right now. My father helped me bring it back to the upholstery shop so they can finish some small things like installing the reconditioned Power Seat that I purchased last year, they are making a convertible top boot, and also a carpeted trunk mat.

I let my father have the first drive. He absolutely loved it, and is still talking about how good the car drives. Look at that smile

Those pesky brake and clutch pedal pads may have been solved. I sent my pads that were on my 4 speed coupe to a friend of mine in Kentucky. He made a cad file for them and is going to 3d print me a set out of a rubberized material. It looks very promising If they work out, I will make extras not only for myself but to pass out to a handful of others that have these cars and would probably appreciate extras.

In the next week or so, my optional Wood steering wheel will be finished being recast, and will be mailed back to me. Then one final trip to the restoration shop to install the wheel, aim the headlights, and get the wipers working. Then to get the car ceramic coated, and a professional photo shoot and I will be ready to show it!

Next years projects: reinstall the air conditioning, and have the radio rebuilt.
Old May 21st, 2022, 12:39 PM

Congratulations on the S/F, looks great.

I have a ‘66 coupe and a 98 convertible, if you have troubles with windows, or would like to make the car a bit quieter on the road look for posts on under my user name. Lately I’ve been working on the vacuum accessory systems like the heater, A/C, trunk release and power door locks.

Sure wish my ‘66 had a 4 speed!

Cheers
Chris
Old May 22nd, 2022, 11:13 AM
Bfg

Love it!
Old May 22nd, 2022, 12:07 PM

That is a Really Beautiful car. You have done an amazing job bringing it back to as good as or better than new. Have fun!
Steve
Old May 22nd, 2022, 06:22 PM
mmmm, starfires

thanks guys, its been a rewarding build. One thing I have learned...I do not want to do another!
Old May 22nd, 2022, 06:22 PM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
That is a Really Beautiful car. You have done an amazing job bringing it back to as good as or better than new. Have fun!
Steve
Are you in the Smokey Mtn Olds chapter of OCA?
Old May 22nd, 2022, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by justintiime
thanks guys, its been a rewarding build. One thing I have learned...I do not want to do another!
Sure, they ALL say that. Congratulations on a nearly (as you say they're never really done) finished Starfire! One of the top 10 in the country I bet. Enjoy the hell out of it. You deserve it.
Old May 26th, 2022, 05:59 PM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by Daiv8or
Sure, they ALL say that. Congratulations on a nearly (as you say they're never really done) finished Starfire! One of the top 10 in the country I bet. Enjoy the hell out of it. You deserve it.
thanks!
Old June 7th, 2022, 01:00 PM
mmmm, starfires

Upholstery shop is done. They made a carpeted trunk mat, a spare tire cover, a new convertible boot, and they installed my power drivers seat track. I pick it up Friday and bring back to the restoration shop. They will aim the headlights, fix the wipers, and install my steering wheel and the car will be done after a thorough detail and ceramic coating.

Steering wheel guy has had my wheel 15 months (quoted me 12 months) and as of 2 months ago had not even made the MOLD to recast my wheel?! Was supposed to have it in my hands yesterday, now its looking like I have to take Friday off to go pick it up in Charlotte, NC and get it back to the restoration shop. Its the price you pay and the bullshit you deal with when dealing with old cars. Was hoping to be out cruising in my car today since its my 40th birthday. I guess I'll wait until later next week. Almost done though!

Quick Reply: 1965 Starfire 4 Speed Convertible