Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1965 Starfire 4 Speed Convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2022, 02:58 PM

Looks good. Does your trunk mat have a rubber backing on it, or can it breathe? if air cannot circulate through it, it will get condensation under it, which can lead to rust, even with the spatter paint on the trunk floor.
Old June 8th, 2022, 02:12 PM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Looks good. Does your trunk mat have a rubber backing on it, or can it breathe? if air cannot circulate through it, it will get condensation under it, which can lead to rust, even with the spatter paint on the trunk floor.
yes it has a rubber backing to it
Old June 8th, 2022, 05:36 PM
mmmm, starfires

The guy doing this steering wheel is freakin killing me....He has had it for 14 months now, was supposed to have it back last week. Made concrete plans to go pick it up in two days, and he just sent me this picture of him still working on it! He keeps saying he needs to do "repairs" but won't elaborate. Its going to be another damn week until its ready now. I'm getting pretty irritated at this point. I have to make a delivery in his area of North Carolina in 2 days anyway, so I told him I will be stopping by to at least see what he's done to it so far.

I'm hoping this is one of those instances where the quality of the final product will be so amazing, it will make all the BS worth it. It just stings more because this car is SO CLOSE to being done and I keep running into delays, delays delays.

Switching gears and getting the car to the detailer this week instead of the restoration shop. Will get it paint corrected and ceramic coated and shined up as best as possible. Crossing fingers once he is done, I can bring it to the restoration shop for finish work.

Old June 8th, 2022, 08:33 PM

Been there many times. Anecdotally, my view is that patience generally wins. If your timescale is decades of car enjoyment, what's a few weeks, really?

This is the unpleasant/ugly side of artwork & car restoration. An artist can always rush their work and you get a less satisfying result. Or you wait beyond "patient" and get a (possibly) better result. Or maybe you feel burned no matter what you get back.

This problem is common to restorers, body shops, and all manner of niche artisans. Once they have your parts, they have more power in the relationship than you. Which some exploit. And some just get busy. And some are just slow (maybe because their work is harder than we think it is). And some are just not the sharpest business people.

Sure you're disappointed they're late, but in the grand scheme of things how many days of car rides have you missed?

But yeah, 14 months seems well into the extreme end of patience. Wishing you a soon & successful restoration.

Cheers
Chris

Old June 10th, 2022, 05:50 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Way back up in post#2. What hubcaps are on it? Im looking for one NOS or very nice.

Saw these on epay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25521686728...QAAOSwfg5hh--5
Old June 11th, 2022, 04:35 PM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Way back up in post#2. What hubcaps are on it? Im looking for one NOS or very nice.

Saw these on epay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25521686728...QAAOSwfg5hh--5
Not sure, I have not seen another set anywhere else...

Dropped the car off at the detailers today, where it will get a super deep cleaning, and will be paint corrected and ceramic coated. I pick it up next friday, and bring it to the restoration shop. I SHOULD have my damn steering wheel by then.

Then I stopped by D&D Automobilia in Charlotte, NC after I made a delivery for work. Dave the owner is a super nice guy and the work he does looks pretty good. He explained the delays with my wheel are due to the fact that he had to make a mold for my wheel, and being the first wheel he has cast in the new mold, there are issues that will need to be solved. My wheel is in the process of being repaired and sanded smooth, then will be polished. He is judging an AACA car show in Beckley, WV next weekend, and fingers crossed I will meet him there and receive my wheel from him.

Since the wheel is being sanded still, it looks kinda rough. But he put some water on the wooden part of the wheel and you could see the depth of the material, and I can tell it will look great once it is finished.

Those 3 blue circles are samples I brought home to compare to another wheel he is recasting for my fathers car.
Old June 13th, 2022, 07:35 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Nice job on the wheel. Nice to see guys with enough passion to restore/remanufacture the hard-to-find parts.
Hub caps in post #2 for sale let me know.
I'd sure like to see this car up close. Not sure which part is cooler the brushed trim on the door panels or the exhaust exit through the drop off trim.
Then the cast bolt-on hubcaps.

Last edited by droldsmorland; June 13th, 2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old June 16th, 2022, 03:54 AM
mmmm, starfires

Planned on picking my steering wheel up this weekend. Surprise....it's not going to be ready

My detailer sent me some quick pics today. He was very impressed with how good it is turning out, and wished he could do only old cars with flat panels because of how easy it is to work on lol

So my NEW plan is to go pick up my steering wheel on Monday, right after I pick up this car I ordered last summer. Got a surprise text that it arrived last night

2022 CT5-V Blackwing. Supercharged LT4 (668hp lol) 6 speed manual, electronic locking diff. May drive for awhile and sell. May cancel my Cybertruck order and just keep this car if I fall in love with it.

We are cutting it real close, but are still on track to have this car ready for Nationals.
Old June 16th, 2022, 07:34 AM

The detailer has done an amazing job, it looks great! Looking forward to seeing the wheel.
Steve
Old June 16th, 2022, 04:16 PM
mmmm, starfires

Old June 17th, 2022, 04:59 PM
mmmm, starfires

picked it up from the detailer today. Looks AMAZING. Drove it to the restoration shop for final tweaks. I pick up/drop off the steering wheel Monday.

I was just asked to debut this car inside the hotel banquet hall at the Oldsmobile Nationals in July Super pumped about that!

Old June 19th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Amazing job you have done getting this car back together. The attention to detail is admiral.
Steve
Old June 19th, 2022, 11:02 AM
Phantom Phixer

Nice job, Justin!
Now you're just in time (no pun intended) for the OCA nats.
Old June 21st, 2022, 03:37 PM
mmmm, starfires

Thanks guys. This is the icing on the cake:Went down to Charlotte, NC yesterday to get my steering wheel finally. It turned out pretty great!

I really liked this container for some reason. It still has about half of the contents left in it, and he uses it once in awhile. I guess its just Kerosene

Old June 21st, 2022, 03:39 PM
mmmm, starfires

On my way home I called a local artist called "Hi Volt". He's an extremely talented artist that specializes in hand painted pinstriping, custom designs, air brushing, and even gun engraving. Very talented man. I told him that I needed him to replicate the metal strips in my original steering wheel with some silver pinstripe. I showed him the original wheel, and he knocked it out in about 15 minutes while I waited. His shop was pretty cool and figured I would share some pics

Dropped everything off at the Restoration shop. This pig should be done in a week.
Old June 21st, 2022, 06:15 PM

It looks amazing! I hope to see it at the meet.
Steve
Old June 21st, 2022, 07:51 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Jewelry.
Old June 26th, 2022, 02:49 PM
mmmm, starfires

Center Cap is being polished

Old June 12th, 2023, 05:16 PM
mmmm, starfires

Brought the car to the Olds Nationals last year, had a blast!

Won a couple awards. First Place, and Best of Class. I got a Silver award. My dad was pretty proud of it.

Best part for me, was being asked to put my car inside during the awards banquet. This was amazing for me

Old June 12th, 2023, 05:20 PM
mmmm, starfires

Time to get the car ready for the MCACN car show in Chicago. I was super excited to be invited! Time to install some corrections, like a correct battery, more stickers for detail, more finishing in the trunk including a restored jack, among other things.

Old June 12th, 2023, 05:31 PM
mmmm, starfires

The car was judged pretty extensively. I scored a silver award! The car is ready for OCA nationals again this year where I hope to get a Senior award.