Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

403 in my formerly diesel chevy truck

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM

403 in my formerly diesel chevy truck

Pics

sb
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Man you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Looks like a clean install. Now all you need is a heater box, or at least something to cover that GAPING hole in the firewall.
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
Man you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Looks like a clean install. Now all you need is a heater box, or at least something to cover that GAPING hole in the firewall.
Aw, that just makes it easier to check the trans fluid.
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. You must have really racked up the miles to have killed a 6.2 diesel.

Still using the hydraulic brake booster?

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow. You must have really racked up the miles to have killed a 6.2 diesel.
That truck came with the 5.7 Olds diesel. The 403 is a bolt-in.
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oh. Never mind. The 5.7 diesel would pretty much kill itself and save you from having to do the work...

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:06 PM

The "conversion" was started by the PO. It had a tired 350 OLDS in it, which is why I bought it. This is the truck I told ya'll about that has the car type mounts. I am still using the hydro-boost brakes. It looks like someone threw some parts at it recently, so it works....after I re-did ALL the brakes on it and went JY diving to find the parts someone left out!

In any case, I USED to live out in the middle of nowhere. Now I have neighbors. It may be time to move. I haven't made the 30 acres I live on profitable yet, so it'll be a few years. By then they might even pave the roads, LOL.

I (literally) ripped all the A/C stuff out while putting this thing together. Nothing on it worked. So, I will probably end up welding or screwing a piece of sheetmetal in place and using some sort of aftermarket heat.

The interior is trashed and it needs floorboards and the bed is rusted out and the dash looks like sh*t. The only parts on the dash that are currently working are the voltmeter and the fuel gauge. That's after a lot of rat-nest untangling to get that to work. That's the reason for the oil pressure light that you see the sender for and the Equus aftermarket temp gauge. I will continue to tinker w/it until I get pieces to make it work. There are rust issues all over the truck. Some is random places. On the plus side all the lights work, so I will be able to pass inspection.

All of this and other potential issues, prompted my dad to ask, "Are you really putting that motor into THAT truck?"

I think this will be sort of rat-rod deal. Never glammed up, but lots of fun and faster than average. I am hunting for a 3.42 gear for it as it has 2.73s in it now. I haven't driven it enough to know what sort of >umph< its going to have, because the dirt roads don't allow traction!

As an aside, I put Dynomax exhuast kit on it, #89007, and for the money its the best kit I have ever done.

Here is what I mean about the interior:

sb
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I love it!

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Oh. Never mind. The 5.7 diesel would pretty much kill itself and save you from having to do the work...

- Eric
My dad had one in Pontiac Parisenne. It was great, except for the injector pump.We had to put a couple of kits in it. I even ran it on homemade biodiesel. When my dad sold it, it still ran great, didn't use much oil. We'd take it on long trips and have to stop twice to eat/relieve ourselves before having to fuel up.

Wish I had it back. Of course, I'd be turning it into something else now.....

sb
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:26 PM

The arrow shows the ignition switch and the oil idiot light! LOL!

sb
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM

If your not in the middle of know where I'll bet you can see it from there!I live in the mountains of south central Pa.I'm not a hillbilly I'm an Appalachian American.When I work in DC and Baltimore people can't believe it when I tell them from the blinking red light at the intersection you would have to drive 20 mile in any direction be for you came to a traffic light.
railguy
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Hangin' out...

Awesome truck. Motor looks like it was born there. With all its torque, I would think that a stock smogger 403 would make a great truck engine. Done any towing with it?
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by henryk8398
Awesome truck. Motor looks like it was born there. With all its torque, I would think that a stock smogger 403 would make a great truck engine. Done any towing with it?
Funny thing is, it is not a stock motor. I've got KB pistons in it, comp cams 218/218* @ .050 cam, filled the cross over, added to the center divider (then not running headers, I know)and a 3 angle valve job. But, I think you are right. It should be a good one in this truck. Maybe too much cam?

I haven't had it out enough to tow with it. Despite its rough and ready appearance, this is a new to me truck. The abuse has been meted out by someone other than myself, I am just trying to get it to normal.

By the way, anyone know of a set of headers that might work here? G-body? A-body?

Thanks,

sb
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Railguy
If your not in the middle of know where I'll bet you can see it from there!I live in the mountains of south central Pa.I'm not a hillbilly I'm an Appalachian American.When I work in DC and Baltimore people can't believe it when I tell them from the blinking red light at the intersection you would have to drive 20 mile in any direction be for you came to a traffic light.
railguy
You're out a bit more than me. North and south it's 19.5 miles in one direction to a traffic light, and 16 in the other! LOL! East and west it would be loooooong way to get to a light.

I don't miss the city AT ALL. Me? I'm a hill-billy, red neck, bushwacker or whatever cute colloquialism the townies use for country folk. I am slowly converting my wife. Its a life-time project.

The only thing I don't like about living on the blackjacks (sand prarie) is the sticker burs. But that is for a different sort of message board.

sb