Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

'64 Starfire Convertible

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2022, 04:04 AM

'64 Starfire Convertible

Having an issue where the brakes are way too sensitive.

Has a newer bendix brake booster and master cylinder, new shoes on the front and what appear to be original drums. The right front wheel cylinder appears to have been replaced during the last brake job (right before the car was parked).

In reverse the brakes are fine, but in drive a slight "touch" of the pedal will send you into the windshield. I'd love to convert to disc, but there are no kits, so I'm stuck fixing the drum brakes.

When I bought the car in November 2021 it was not running (hadn't run in 10 or so years), and I have the car running like a top now, but it seems like the front brakes are just grabbing at the slightest of touches to the pedal.

Any insight?
Old January 22nd, 2022, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kmakar89
Having an issue where the brakes are way too sensitive.

Has a newer bendix brake booster and master cylinder, new shoes on the front and what appear to be original drums. The right front wheel cylinder appears to have been replaced during the last brake job (right before the car was parked).

In reverse the brakes are fine, but in drive a slight "touch" of the pedal will send you into the windshield. I'd love to convert to disc, but there are no kits, so I'm stuck fixing the drum brakes.

When I bought the car in November 2021 it was not running (hadn't run in 10 or so years), and I have the car running like a top now, but it seems like the front brakes are just grabbing at the slightest of touches to the pedal.

Any insight?
Grabbing brakes could be a sign that the shoes are contaminated with grease or brake fluid.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 07:44 AM

Are the old brakes hoses still in place? If they are, they can collapse internally and cause brake pedal sensitivity.

Have you considered this kit?

1961-64 Olds 88, 98, Starfire except Jetstar front disc (scarebird.com)

Last edited by Tri-Carb; January 22nd, 2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Grabbing brakes could be a sign that the shoes are contaminated with grease or brake fluid.
I checked when I pulled it all apart and they are new shoes and everything is dang near spotless (she told me right before she parked it in the garage she had the front brakes done and an oil change), but she's 82 and I think her memory is beginning to fail.

Going to pull it apart again and look.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tri-Carb
Are the old brakes hoses still in place? If they are, they can collapse internally and cause brake pedal sensitivity.
1 hose is new (right side) but the left is older. It's easy enough to buy 2 new hoses and re-bleed.

Originally Posted by Tri-Carb
I'd seen that already, but it requires you to upgrade to 1971 or later rims. I'm already 7k in parts on this car (haven't even painted it yet), so trying to watch the pennies now. I didn't expect to find so much wrong with it as she said it was taken care of.... NOT.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 09:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kmakar89
I checked when I pulled it all apart and they are new shoes and everything is dang near spotless (she told me right before she parked it in the garage she had the front brakes done and an oil change), but she's 82 and I think her memory is beginning to fail.

Going to pull it apart again and look.
After sitting for ten years, did you turn the drums? Rust on the friction surface of the drum would cause grabbing.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
After sitting for ten years, did you turn the drums? Rust on the friction surface of the drum would cause grabbing.
Going to have the drums turned tomorrow, but not sure how much meat they have left. I figured I'd buy new hoses, and new shoes, and readjust.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 03:20 PM
Administrator

I like to watch when they turn the drums to make sure they take off as little as possible to true them.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 03:38 PM

1. Check the drum and brake shoe surfaces. Maybe a little scotch-brite cleaning.
2. Check the drums for "out of round" and diameter size.
3. Compare diameter size between the drums.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 07:41 PM

Not the same car but I had the same problem with a Triumph TR6, brake hoses looked good but were apparently collapsing internally. Replaced them and solved problem.
Old January 24th, 2022, 05:38 PM

Had the drums turned, but they have uneven wear as evidence from the picture. The primary shoe has even wear, but the secondary shoe has uneven wear.

I stood there the entire time to make sure he only trued the drums and took off a minimal amount. The new wheel cylinders will be in on Thursday (from Fusick), and OReilly's had everyting else (they turned the drums too).