Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

65 convertible starfire at the yard

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:02 AM

65 convertible starfire at the yard

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that there is a 65 Conv starfire at my local yard. Looks like it has a few good pieces like the conv top boot moldings, lower body trim, front air dam, conv only windshield trim, hood spear, tail panel and head lights etc.
I have the parts off the car listed below. Prices are posted but all offers will be considered. I don't have a starfire. I only took these parts to save them from being crushed.

In KY.

w70442@hotmail.com

Randy

Last edited by W70442; April 18th, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:17 AM

the 65 had the exhaust come out the finder just behind the back tires on each side. if the metal is good where it exits i would save them. the part that attaches to the pipe under the car. those are near impossible to find. also, i think the original transmission on this year had a switch pitch TH400. those are getting hard to find also.
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM

All the chrome diecast moldings are worth saving. This car should have the driver side "S" dual exhaust manifold.

Henry
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Yeah, The exhaust coming out through the chrome trim is very cool.
Worth saving, sure, but is it valuable enough to be worth my time? Don't get me wrong, I actually feel like the whole car should be saved but they claim they can't sell a whole car. And I'm not looking to get rich of the stuff either. It's just that since I'm not familiar with how everything is attached and therefore how to remove it, it may take me a few hours to get all the chrome SAFELY off the car. I'm just wondering if the stuff will sell. I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money on parts I will never use. Ya know?.... Still, most of what's there is in good condition.

It does have a floor shifter with an automatic trans but how can I tell if it is the "switch pitch"?
I take it that the driver's side "S" exhaust manifold is rare/valuable? The engine would have to be pulled to get to it. The engine looks like it was/is red. Would that be a 425? I know it may not be the original engine.

Last edited by W70442; February 4th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i think the original transmission on this year had a switch pitch TH400. those are getting hard to find also.

Is the switch pitch TH400 only on the Starfire?

How would I know if my D88 has one?
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:28 PM

65 425 is red/orange color A heads. S manifold should come off with engine in place. If ex pipe is there cut it or snap off the 2 flange bolts as thats prob what will happen. Grab any good stainless but if potmetal trim is pitted forget it. Check for a posi rear.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM

W70442... sending PM

radioburningchrome.... i can't say for sure. i am not an expert on this but think that the 65 starfire had one. i think the super 88 had one but again, i don't know this for sure. i always wanted a switch pitch TH400 for an A body build. i wanted to hook it up to a toggle switch inside the car that i could switch myself when i wanted to.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM

If the yard has good prices (like the more you get the less you pay per piece) and does not plan to keep the car long, I would try to get all the good / easily restorable stuff I could.
While the Starfire is not near as popular as the Cutlass, that makes parts for it more hard to come by. If the yard gives you a good deal, I am sure you can resell the individual pieces for more than you got them for, it might just take time (up to a few years).

I stripped a Pinto almost 3 years ago and am just now selling out. On everything sold so far piece by piece, I made a 30% profit (being totally reasonable), which paid for the parts I needed for my own car. Best thing was the feeling of helping others keep their old cars on the road.
Sure it took several trips out there and about 8 hours of total time, but I looked at it as fun, educational, and besides, i needed some fenders and a hood anyway...
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Rob, The yard does have good prices. There's a lot there though so trying to decide which to go after first is next.
I agree, I know the parts are rare and most likely never will be reporduced so helping one of the starfire guys finish, repair or improve their car is why I even bothered to post this. I have way too many irons in the fire now.

jensenracing77, I don't know what a switch pitch does. Is that kind of like the big sprocket and small sprocket on the pedal gears of a ten speed bike? Can you completely change the performance of the trans by flipping a switch? You mentioned if the metal was good where the tail pipes come out. Do you mean the potmetal molding or the quarter panel itself? I will look at the pipe hangars. How do you tell if it is the unique original hangar as opposed to a common replacement?

Oldsmaniac, engine could be locked up for all I know and pulling it would be a lot of work. What's it worth? Forget the potmetal if pitted aay? I actually thought that might be some of the most sought after pieces since they can be rechromed. Most of it is pretty decent with just a little pitting. Will check for a posi for sure. Coarse that's quite a job to remove and deal with like the engine.

Noone has mentioned the dash. It's all but out. Would that be worth grabbing? Same for the front bumper and grills. They look like they'd be a pain to get off but should I get them? Are the exhaust tips themselves valuable? They would seem easy enough to grab. Oh, and how about those stainless looking door panels pieces?

Thanks again,
Randy

Last edited by W70442; February 5th, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM

Leave engine, just was trying to help you ID a 65 425. manifolds will come out with engine in as long as exhaust pipes are off. Pass side ex mani has or should have blockoff plate. worth grabbing. S manifold worth 150 or so if good....repops are like 200. Back bumper is hard to find not rotted. Grab it if its good....maybe get 200 for it. Only thing good on dash would be pad of soft and nice. Potmetal costs big bucks to rechrome....pieces like those are big $$ to do.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM

Hi Randy
I can see the floorpan and truck floor is gone, but it's still sad that this car will be crushed. About a year ago here in Oregon a law was passed that the moment a car enters the yard it CANNOT be sold as a whole car. It sounds like you've got the same thing there. I agree with the other guys, all the side trim, wheelwells, convertible top frame and stainless around it (this may fit other GM cars and be the first thing to pull) the whole engine if you have the room. But the drivers side "S" manifold should go for $150-200 range if it's not badly pitted or cracked. If the bumpers are not badly rusted I would grab those too. Can you get a battery powered sawzall to cut the bumper bolts off the frame? Either that or a torch if they're rusty.

If you cannot pull the whole motor the alternator, AC compressor and Power Steering pump look like the same brackets that were used on the A-body cars for that vintage. Also, I've seen posi rear ends under Starfires so that would be worth checking too.

Good Luck Randy! If you've got the time and storage space I can see a lot of good parts that you could resell or trade in the future.
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:01 AM

Thanks again guys. Trying to soak up all the info I can. Forgot to mention that it has power windows. Worth grabbing? I know that will take some time.
I've done some searches on ebay and it appears that this car shares some parts with Impalas, 88's, 98's and even cadilacs.
I found a repro S manifold on ebay. Now I know why it's called an S manifold. Def try to grab it. Will bring a big can of penetrating lube so that I can soak anything that doesn't break loose the first day.

Anyone know how to remove the stainless conv top pinch weld molding with the snaps on it? I see two snaps have philips screws in them but that can't be what holds the whole length of trim on. Feels like there might be tabs that stick through slots in the sheet metal that get bent over. That sound right?
The hood is shot but the pot metal trim that goes across the lip looks like it just has needle pitting. Grab it?
Gonna grab the conv only brass spacers on the rear edge of the doors and on the door jambs. Those prob cross over to other car.
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by W70442
Thanks for all the tips guys.

jensenracing77, I don't know what a switch pitch does. Is that kind of like the big sprocket and small sprocket on the pedal gears of a ten speed bike? Can you completely change the performance of the trans by flipping a switch? You mentioned if the metal was good where the tail pipes come out. Do you mean the potmetal molding or the quarter panel itself? I will look at the pipe hangars. How do you tell if it is the unique original hangar as opposed to a common replacement?

Thanks again,
Randy
it would be more like the exhaust tip that is attached to the exhaust pipe itself. the transmission should have 2 differant stalls to the torque converter. originally when you were driving around it would be a standard stall and when you were at or close to wide open throttle it would switch to a higher stall. i am almost sure this car would have had one. they didn't make that many of the TH400 transmissions with this.
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:04 AM

That car does have a switch pitch Turbo Hydramatic 400 !!! Also has a 370hp 425 with a 3.42 rear. How much for the r/f fender and the grille???
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i wanted to hook it up to a toggle switch inside the car that i could switch myself when i wanted to.

Sounds like a really unique idea.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Everything but the 'oink'...

Originally Posted by 2blu442
About a year ago here in Oregon a law was passed that the moment a car enters the yard it CANNOT be sold as a whole car. It sounds like you've got the same thing there.
Texas has been this way a long time - really stupid.
If I see a rare car in a regular (non-classic) yard with fast turnover, then I will see about getting all I can if I know of a successful market for it. The Starfire has a good market and it is mostly right here!

If the dash is almost out whole, it might be worth taking the whole thing cheap and piece part it. You will make a lot without trying.
I got the Pinto dash for 40 and made that back 3x.
Doors were similar. In fact the shells will be finally picked up today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
salvage-before-n-after2.JPG (49.9 KB, 14 views)
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
That car does have a switch pitch Turbo Hydramatic 400 !!! Also has a 370hp 425 with a 3.42 rear. How much for the r/f fender and the grille???
Hi,

The pass fender looks to be pretty straight but I'm sure you can see that the bottom of the dog leg will need patched. Probably $75 + ship for the fender. The grill has a split on the top center of the center piece. Didn't really inspect it much more than that but my impression was that was the worst thing about it. Prob $45 + ship. Here's some pics.
The little star emblem on the fender looks pretty good with just a few small pits. Still has all it's detail. $10 + ship???

I have all the stainless and exhaust tips off the car along with the rear end drum to drum. I'll upload pics of them asap.

Last edited by W70442; February 5th, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
The trans is still there but how can I tell from looking at it if it's the "switch pitch" tranny?
By the way, did you see the pics of the fender and grill. Just wondering if you still wanted them?

Oh, I got all the stainless trim, exhaust tips and the rear end yesterday so it's all availble now.

Randy

Last edited by W70442; February 6th, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:47 PM

That grille looks great, esp. for a driver. I am sure someone can use it.
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Im interested in the steel exhaust tips that come out of the quarter panel.
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM

Here's some pics of the rear end, exhaust tips, quarter panel molding stainless inserts, hood spear and pass windshield wiper that looks to be in good shape. Let me know if you can use anything.

Anyone know what other years and models of cars the rear end would fit?

Last edited by W70442; February 7th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM

Great work so far! A lot of that stuff looks cherry.
You should not have a problem selling it off...
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM

those exhaust tips look very solid. every time i find a parts car those are gone or rusted out. glad you could save some parts. i'm sure you will do good on them.
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Its a Starfire, the nicest cars Olds ever made period! Anything that can be gotten off of it someone can use. 425 cid/370 horse if its an original engine. Rears on are usually 3:23:1 in '65/'66 but since it also had air it could be lower. These are getting fewer by the second, very rare to find any Starfire in a wrecking yard especially a convertible. Someone wants many of its parts, there are many many guy's into all the years of the Starfire. Ebay is a great place to sell. Those exhaust parts are very valuable to a '65 Starfire collector the trim and rear bumper are Starfire specific as is the grille and tail lamps. Get what can be gotten is my advise.
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jetty6
Its a Starfire, the nicest cars Olds ever made period! .
i am a big fan of the 61, 62, 63 and 65 starfire. i think i have to agree with you. but the 90 to 92 Trofeo is another great car for being a newer car. IMO the last 3 years for the Trofeo is the last of the great Oldsmobiles.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM

It's amazing that a 65 Starfirs convertible (only 2236 made ) could have lasted this long, and ended up in the pull a part !!! Congrats on getting all the parts you did. It's just a shame the car is destined to be crushed.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Yeah, I am surprised at what shows up there from time to time. Just goes to show that not everyone is as sick as we are. Someone somewhere apparently thought it was completely worthless.
I've been advised that the dash with the am radio, clock, fuel gauge, glove box and ash trays isn't worth pulling. I don't have a lot of room to store stuff I'll never use but it really bothers me that the stuff is going to get crushed.
I just remember 15 years ago when people were parting out very restorable Cutlass' because "they were too far gone". A lot of guys today would love to get a hold of one of those cars that were "too far gone". I see the same thing happening here.
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM

Here's a link to a photobucket page showing all the pics of the car that I have just to show what's there. I've listed in previous posts what I've taken off so far. Let me know asap if there is any interest in any of the parts in the pics. The car was placed in the yard in December so I don't know how much longer they'll keep it.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...65%20Starfire/

Please let me know if the link is broken. w70442@hotmail.com

The exhaust tips are the only parts shown that are spoken for.

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited by W70442; February 12th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM

No pictures of back bumper? That part is worth $ if it is good or easily repaired.

What is rear gear ratio?

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; February 15th, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: more info
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM

I have heard of extensive rebuilds on those '65 S/fire rear bumpers simply because they are specific only to the Starfire. No other year of Starfire can this be said as they all share their rear bumper with the basic 88's. So, if you are restoring a '65 I hope your bumper is rebuildable, cause, where ya gonna find another? Pics of this cars rear bumper could be valuable.
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I have a 65 starfire rear bumper for sale but its rusted through in a couple spots and bent, if anyones intrested you can message me
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:39 PM

It's got at least 4 rust through holes. I've gotten conflicting advise regarding whether any particular part for this car was worth keeping. Here are some pics of the bumper on the car in this thread. I'll let you guys decide.

I have a question for you guys. Isn't that tail panel piece with the OLDSMOBILE letters on it in these pics worth something. Noone has mentioned it. Is it common to 88's as well?
Attached Images
65 starfire parts 040.jpg (116.9 KB, 33 views)
65 starfire parts 041.jpg (86.5 KB, 24 views)
65 starfire parts 042.jpg (86.3 KB, 36 views)
65 starfire parts 074.jpg (96.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by W70442; February 15th, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM

That bumper is shot! The tailpiece is Sfire only piece. Pitting makes it not so desireable.
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the part Randy.

You shipped it very quickly!
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Hi Mike,
Yeah, I usually ship quick. I don't need the parts laying around here after they're sold to get lost or damaged. Plus, I got a lot going on and tend to forget things if I don't do it right away.

Glad to be able to help,
Randy
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:25 AM

I have a spare show quality '65 Starfire rechrome rear bumper never reinstalled and several sets of rear bumper extensions (some rechrome, others good used) if any interest, PM.
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:39 PM

Hey Guys,
All parts except the pass fender and throttle bracket have been sold. I'll consider all offers on those two parts.

Thanks Ray,
It was nice to meet ya. Hope you have a safe trip home. Have fun with the new toys.
Randy