Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

65 F85 Bench Seat cover - can't find!

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:22 PM

65 F85 Bench Seat cover - can't find!

New owner of a nice 65 4 door v6, car is great but the front bench really needs to be recovered!

it feels like I have searched and searched for a full bench factory style cover. The interior is torirquise

where can I get factory style to match the back?!!!

Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:39 PM

SMS in Oregon can provide what you need.
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66trakpak
SMS in Oregon can provide what you need.
SMS will sell you the correct material. They do not sell pre-sewn covers. You will have to take that material to an upholstery shop to have the cover made. No one sells pre-made bench seat covers for more-door cars, especially in colors other than black or white. There isn't enough demand for them.

Be sure to be sitting down when you get the price quote from SMS. The are pretty much the only source for hard to find original upholstery materials, but they are priced accordingly.
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:28 AM

The others are correct that the only supplier of factory materials is SMS. If you don't like the price consider getting an aftermarket seat cover for it.

BTW, cool car!
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Whew!! Y'all were right, $290 plus shipping for just the material.

I would be fine with a parchment seat cover if you guys know of anyone that sells that complete.
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:05 AM

Kanter sells aftermarket seat covers in various styles and materials:

https://www.kanter.com/
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Kanter sells aftermarket seat covers in various styles and materials:

https://www.kanter.com/
Kanter is just reselling EZBoy Rod Interiors. You can go directly to the manufacturer's catalog here.
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:37 AM

That's good to know. Might be able to save some money too.
Old May 5th, 2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by salesguy01
I would be fine with a parchment seat cover if you guys know of anyone that sells that complete.
Check with your local auto upholstery shop. They can access any vendor you can and probably more, and they can install the cover as well. If you order through them and have them install it, you'll probably get a better total price than if you order it yourself and take it to a shop to be installed.

I did exactly this when I needed the front seat recovered on my '73 Custom Cruiser, a car for which no one makes original seat covers. The photos below are before-and-after. The upholstery shop did a great job of matching the fabric with something he found in one of his catalogs, and he did the job as well. This isn't Legendary interiors, this isn't SMS fabrics or whatever. This is just the local upholstery shop working with me to get a good look for the front seat, and we succeeded in spades. Total cost for the front seat, including material and labor, was $700, which was money well spent, I thought.

It isn't necessary to go with the high-priced vendors that everyone seems to think you have to in order to get decent seat covers to match the vintage look. Before you go that route, at least give the local guy a try. It costs nothing to look into it, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Before (on the day I bought the car from the family of the original owner):

After (with new carpeting installed as well):

Old May 7th, 2017, 08:34 PM

Looks great I'm going to attempt to find a local shop to see first. But right now a Walmart seat cover will suffice as even $500 isn't in my budget for a seat.
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Ben

Try these guys for another alternative. Same sort of thing as EZ boy but a little cheaper (i suspect all these guys subscribe to the same service that provides the patterns and materials) I have used several of their covers for classic cars w/ non-reproduced covers and they are pretty decent quality.

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/

Edit... Thinking some more on this..
PUI makes Chevelle 4-door seat covers now... Pretty sure any 64 to 70 chevelle 4 door (nonsplit, non folding forward) front seat cover and it would fit just fine on your frame.

Thats probably the cheapest solution. 64, 66 & 68 chevelle covers all have varying width vertical pleats that are kind of universal looking, might not look out of place in your car with the correct color vinyl.

Call my guy Rick at wellington classics, he's a dealer for PUI and can help you get exactly what you need:
rick@wellingtonclassics.com
(970) 568-0141

Last edited by RAMBOW; May 10th, 2017 at 11:18 AM.