Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Cornering lights on a 64 Starfire

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2024, 11:08 PM

Cornering lights on a 64 Starfire

I have 2 Starfire convertibles, one is a parts car. But the parts car has optional (I guess) cornering lights on it.How rare or how common are these?I've thought about adding them to my good car, but I don't want to cut the already painted fenders, and the other option would be to swap fenders, but this would require they be painted to match. This would be difficult since the car was painted over 30 years ago. The only good thing is that it hasn't been driven yet, and has been stored inside all this time. Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of paint it is or what the code is.Is there any place on the car that has the original paint code on it?I think the paint was done in the original color, but id like to know how to check that.Thanks for whatever help you can offer. Rick
Old April 21st, 2024, 04:54 AM

The cornering lights were optional. I recall seeing many cars equipped with them. You'll need to look behind the cornering lights to see what holes are present and how they are attached.
I am not sure how sought after the cornering lights are, but if I were you, I would remove them carefully from the parts car and save them.
Old April 21st, 2024, 05:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Adding cornering lights requires changing the turn signal switch as well, since that is what operates the cornering lights. I've never really found that they were much benefit and really just clutter up the looks of the car in my opinion.
Old April 21st, 2024, 06:52 AM

Thanks for your replies on this gentlemen. I had wondered just how effective these would be because of their size. On the many 60's and 70's Cadillacs I've had, the cornering lights were much bigger and were designed to direct the light better in my opinion.
Based on this I don't believe I'll worry about trying to use them.
I appreciate your input.
Rick ​​​​​​​