Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Looking For Opinions

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2009, 08:09 AM
2 '66 98's

Question Looking For Opinions

I know there are many people on this site who like to give their opinion on just about anything so here is an opportunity.

What do you think is the potential for a 1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible to become a Classic? I have an opportunity to purchase one with 27,000 miles and, as far as I have been able to determine so far, it is in "perfect" condition. I couldn't even fine a stone chip or door ding. It is loaded with everything except the HUD system. (Heads Up Display) It is completely original including the tires. The asking price is a little high but I don't want to go that much anyway. If he will come down a little, I am very interested.

Give me some feedback!
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM
car guy

If you like the car go for it but IMO there will never be any real collectror market for a car like that. There might be a few nich enthusiests but it will stop there. You have to look at the popularity of the car when it was new. That will have the biggest effect on future value.

For example if you could afford to get on on not in the muscle car era if you could afford to get one or not most people wished for a 442, SS, GS GTO ect. Today those are the cars that bring the big money. On the other hand even though production was low there were just not people on long waiting lists in the mid 90's for FWD Cutlass Supreme convertibles.
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM

I agree with Richard, if your looking for a fun driver and you like the car get it. If your wanting a fun car that could also be an investment then pass on it. As an investment you would be better off looking for an older car that already has demand and may increase in value over the next few years. My 2 cents!
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Cool

I am in agreement with Richard and John. I think it would be a fun car for a driver or even a weekend cruiser. It is going to get fairly decent gas mileage and parts are available. If you maintain it decently, it should hold it's value okay but I don't think you should expect much appreciation in value. Just buy it and enjoy it. And the best thing is it is an OLDSMOBILE.
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM

have you tried www.kbb.com ? I just went there, made some assumptions for your potential ride and excellent condition private party value came up with $4120.
I know some people don't care for the Kelly Blue Book site but it's a start as a guide to value.

I had a 95 Cutlass convertible years ago, paid $5000 and had lots of fun with it. Had an accident with it and got rid of it.
I agree with what the others said about demand and future value though. If the price is right for you, get the car and have some fun with it.

On a side note we have a 97 Cutlass 2 door w/ 133 K miles that our son drives now (car is in wife's name). I'm partial to this car and make sure my son takes care of it. I think 97 was the last year they made the 2 door Cutlass models.
I always thought it would be cool to bring my 67 and the 97 to a show parked next to each other showing 30 years of the Oldsmobile Cutlass!
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
2 '66 98's

I appreciate all your input. Thanks I amthinking of taking it to my house in Florida just to knock around with and, later, give it to my granddaughter when she is old enough to take care of it (with my guidance, of course). The asking price is above KBB but I will give my max offer and if he holds out for more, I will walk.
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
2 '66 98's

After some searching, I found many comments that make this car pretty risky. Several people said the 3.4 dual overhead cam engine was the worse engine GM ever built. It has oil leak problems, frequent alternator failure due to excessive heat from the way it is located and the timing belt must be replaced at 60,000 miles without fail. It wears the cheap guide, becomes loose, jumps time and kills the engine because there is virtually no clearance between pistons and valves. The only safe thing to do is get one with the standard 3.1 engine.
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Sounds like you have done your homework and it will payoff. However I don't think the 3.4 is the worst engine GM ever built. I think that distinction would have to belong to the Cadillac V8-6-4.
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Buy it if the price is right and it is a nice car. What you mentioned might be true about the 3.4L engine but the engines in the late 80s and early 90s were EASY to work on. I did multiple repairs to the 3.8L V6 in my 93 Buick LeSaber. Not that it was a lemon, but it was easily maintained and repaired. At least for someone who knew how to turn a wrench.
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
71 cutlass convertible

If you like it then buy it. The car is still going down in value or at bottom. They generally don't start going up until 25 to 28 years and then slowly. It could be 15 years or better before you see any real appreciation. As a investment you would be better off in CDs. IMO
Larry
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
2 '66 98's

The car is now gone. Someone bought it for $7300. I definitely would not have gone over $7000. Now I'll go back to checking out '93 Mustangs (did I say that?). Forgive me!
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Now I'll go back to checking out '93 Mustangs
BLASPHEMER!

How dare you talk like that on our website? We are a family site!
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
Now I'll go back to checking out '93 Mustangs
Mustangs?!?!

Get a rope...

Old September 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Only If they have 4 legs and run on grass.
Prefer to have a long legged blond on the back.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Mustangs aren't that bad. Those 4.6 motors are giant in size, so it's easy to yank them out and dump a 460 big block in there.

I do however hate all the kids at the track that spray their 302's and spill their guts all over the strip.
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM

You know, any car past 30 is a historic in my book. I think the Classic Car Club likes to think of a "Classic" as the older autos from the 40's (or thereabouts) and before.

At least in my state, the DMV follows The Classic Car Club guidelines for issuing "Classic" plates (verses the "Historic" ones). There is really no distinction that makes a car a classic, based on price.

So I would suggest getting this car, especially if it's too straight to pass up!
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Mustangs aren't that bad. Those 4.6 motors are giant in size, so it's easy to yank them out and dump a 460 big block in there.

I do however hate all the kids at the track that spray their 302's and spill their guts all over the strip.

93 will also have a 302. Mod motor 4.6 did not start until 95 or 96

For the record a clean 93 Convertible will be a much better investment than a FWD Olds. 93 was the last year of the Fox body cars and not a whole lot of convertibles were built. Ford was tooling up for the redesigned SN95 body. I would not mind having a 94 one/two year only sn95 302 car myself.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

I know there are many people on this site who like to give their opinion on just about anything so here is an opportunity.
Nope. No opinions here...

Originally Posted by gearheads78
If you like the car go for it but IMO there will never be any real collectror market for a car like that.
Sorry, but that's what "everybody" said about post-war cars in the 1970s. Certainly a FWD Cutlass convert will not be worth the same as a Corvette ZR1, but it will certainly be collectible. Look at mid-60s non-performance convertibles today. They are much more sought after than four doors!

Of course, if you are buying a car as an investment, there are much smarter places to put your money.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Now is certainly the time to buy a vintage car as an investment, especially if you can get it cheap and not have to put much money into it. You may not want to pass this car up if this is the case.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:59 AM

I have had a 3.4 that motor is pure junk. The 3.8 is complete different motor from 3.4 The 3.8 is the best v6 G.M. ever built. I also have had one you know do repairs to it but it worth it. The 3.4 pure junk I can't find anything to say good about it. The car I would say stayed in the repair shop that's the why the miles are so low.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM

in the mid to late 1980s, you could not go more than a mile without seeing a 77 cutlass. my dad picked them up for $50 a couple times. i remember a guy wanting to trade my dad a 77 cutlass that was in (from what i remember) perfect condition for our 77 grand fury. my dad would not trade because he said that a 77 cutlass will never be worth anything. now i have seen 2 of them sell for over $12,000.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Lightbulb

What do you think is the potential for a 1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible to become a Classic? I have an opportunity to purchase one with 27,000 miles and, as far as I have been able to determine so far, it is in "perfect" condition. I couldn't even fine a stone chip or door ding. It is loaded with everything except the HUD system. (Heads Up Display) It is completely original including the tires. The asking price is a little high but I don't want to go that much anyway. If he will come down a little, I am very interested.

Give me some feedback!
BUY IT !
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
in the mid to late 1980s, you could not go more than a mile without seeing a 77 cutlass. my dad picked them up for $50 a couple times. i remember a guy wanting to trade my dad a 77 cutlass that was in (from what i remember) perfect condition for our 77 grand fury. my dad would not trade because he said that a 77 cutlass will never be worth anything. now i have seen 2 of them sell for over $12,000.
My Dad has negative opinons on Aurora too(and one of my good Oldsmobiole buddies too).
I've heard the good,bad and ugly on Auroras.