71 72 Saturn Gold Code 53 Issues

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2013, 11:19 AM

71 72 Saturn Gold Code 53 Issues

I am having quite the dilemma trying to get this colour mixed to match the original paint. My bodyman had his paint store mix RM Limco paint and tried it on a spray card and as well on my SS111 wheels. It looked fairly close in the sun but has too much of a green tint when out of the sunlight. Inside, you'd swear the wheels were actually green, not gold. I had the paint store rep come out to my garage and he used the camera on the side cowl, as that area had never seen the light of day until the fender was removed. The camera software identified it as a VW colour from around 1999 - 2000, used on a limited number of GTIs, called Futura Yellow. We also had a spray card done in the more expensive RM Onyx line. It appears to be slightly golder and doesn't go as green when the direct light isn't on it, but nothing yet is correct in the varying light conditions. Remarkably, the VW Futura Yellow is almost identical to the Saturn Gold colour, but also goes greenish when not in the direct sunlight. My painter indicates its what they make the colours with today that presents this problem. I don't know if this is to do with the environmental concerns or not. I am going to try Sherwin Williams and Dupont to see what their stories are and if they will make up samples, in order to do more sprayout cards. I am a stickler for originality and do like Saturn Gold with a white top and white interior. Besides, it is a real early 70's colour and forms part of the mystique along with 8 track players. But at this rate I maybe forced to change to Viking Blue or something similar. Sorry for the long-winded thread done mostly out of frustration. Has anybody recently painted a car in Saturn Gold? It is also known as Cortez Gold for Buick, Placer Gold for Chevy and Quezal Gold for Pontiac.
Have others run into this issue with other colours? Solutions? Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:35 AM

My 70 twilight blue seems to have a greenish tint to it as well in some types of light. I do think its just the nature of the newer paints. Most original Twilight blues or older repaints look flatter and darker than most of the new dark blues I see.

I'm sure there is a way to get it even closer to the original though with a custom mix - you would think anyway.

Also fluorescent lights give off a greenish tint so that may be part of the reason for the green tint indoors.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:41 AM

Thanks for your comments. There may not be any way around this issue but I'll do some more research. Cheers. By the way, Twilight Blue is one of my favourite colours of the era. A friend of mine had a 70 SX in that colour, very attractive.
Old December 25th, 2013, 09:51 AM

I had my '72 repainted "Saturn Gold" in Nov of 2012....It is the original color as stamped on the COWL plate...code 53. The paint shop matched it to a nissan color....I think it came out great...
Old December 25th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Do you have the paint code for the Nissan color? What brand of paint did they use? I would love to see pictures if possible.
Thanks. Merry Christmas.
Old December 25th, 2013, 01:17 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Look at the two Saturn Gold samples at the bottom. Off to the right is the paint codes for the different manufacturers. http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=2339&rows=50
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:02 PM

I am on vacation until tomorrow the 27th. When I get home I will get you the code number. Here is a link to a picture of my olds.
regards....
Alex in Idaho USA
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...re18598-b.html
Old December 27th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Your car looks great, nice color. I'm interested in getting the Nissan code. Thanks.
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM

paint code for my '72 Olds

Hi
The paint code I show is Nissan code ER4, year 1997, Yellow olive effect. My car was originally painted GM Code "53" Saturn Gold. The new paint matches the fenders and inside the trunk lid perfect.
Thanks for looking and best wishes to all....
Alex in Idaho USA
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:03 PM

Appreciate the info. Cheers.
Old December 30th, 2013, 05:58 AM
72 Olds CS

That Nissan color looks pretty close. I love the Saturn gold, and I am considering painting my car SG when the time comes.

Brian please post back w pics after you paint your car!
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM

I surely will. I'll start a "major build" thread once the car goes to the body shop, probably in April or so. The roof will be coming off and there will be cowl/dash work and quarters replacement. Should be interesting. Zanax, here I come.
Old January 1st, 2014, 06:25 PM

I too would like to see pics.....good luck!!
Alex in Idaho USA...