Nugget Gold Questions

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2012, 07:35 AM

Nugget Gold Questions

Hi Everyone,

I am in the middle of a very high end frame off restoration of a 1970 442 W-30. I have been working with my paint supplier trying to match the original Nugget Gold paint and it is a tough task. There is original paint on many hidden areas of the car but no two areas look the same due to how much paint was applied at the factory. I am very particular when it come to correctness. Does anyone have a car with original paint that might be willing to help or experience with this color?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Oldsdruid

It's very simple. You give them GM 1970 Code 53 or 1969 GM code X-03, have them cross to the original R-M or DuPont databases and have them mix it. It's not so much the formula that causes problems with this color, it's the application.

This, 66 code G Trumpet Gold and early 70s code 26 Viking/Zodiac Blue are very sensitive to application methods- a slight difference in air pressure at the gun can throw these colors completely off shade from the color standard. The tech bulletins are full of TIL letters addressing the color match issues and suggested corrections.

Any intense high-metallic color with strong tinting colors (green, red, violet etc) in the formula is subject to shade matching trouble.

I know of one original-paint 1970 Toronado GT in Kansas, but keep in mind that after 40 years, even an OCA Senior car's original paint may be a little off-shade from the color standard.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Take a look here.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...obile-pg01.jpg
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM

It is not as simple as you think. I have had the paint mixed to code 53 and it does not match the paint on any of the hidden areas of the car. I have spent hours calling PPG directly getting new formulas and they are close but not on the money. This is not my first 10 minutes painting cars or matching colors. I know about application issues and would just like to find a good example of known correct Nugget gold to compare with. Thanks for the replies and help.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Oldsdruid

Hoss, all I can tell you is the factory had trouble matching it in field repair work and issued bulletin after bulletin addressing the problem.

I suggest you go hunting for one of the factory color standard panels and have it matched to that. All the assembly plants and zone offices had them and they were supposed to be issued to dealer body shops as well.

Maybe you should find a jobber that supplies DuPont or R-M and can access the original formula.

I would be wary of trying to color match 40+ year old high-metallic paint, even from hidden and protected areas. Nugget was notorious for fading in its original lacquer formulation. Believe me, I polished it out on a 69 W34 Toronado more times than I care to remember, so it's not like I am not familiar with the color.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Registered Luser

I think what you might want to do is decide what variant you want the car color to be. By that, I mean either a chip in a color book by a particular paint manufacturer, or a clean spot on your car that you believe represents the color you're looking for. As far as the best match, it is an interpretation. A car painted Monday and a car painted the same color with the same vat of paint painted on Thursday, will be shades different. Add to that the fact that everyone sees color differently, you need to decide what you like. Just because someone restored their car and painted it with Nugget Gold from PPG, Dupont or RM, all three will look marginally different. Beside the fact that clearcoat alone will change the cast of the color. I'm not trying to be a "smartass", just that it is not that simple. If you weren't happy with that answer, have you tried the camera on the hidden spot on your car? It should get you pretty close. A good paint rep from the manufacturer or even the distributor you are working with should be able to tint to very close match. A couple of sprayouts can tell you for sure. Just remember the cleared "modern" color will look different than the single stage used in '69....

Last edited by ent72olds; January 18th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:09 PM

I have seen some very poor Nugget Golds and am glad you are trying to get the correct color. My Galleon Gold was almost as difficult but we used the area above the windshield covered by vinyl even as a match it took three or four mixes to get it correct. Last year at the Mecum auction in Indy there was a terrible Nugget Gold olds. Lee
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM

Posting something as simple as your location may help as well....someone may know of a car in your area in that color, etc.
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
....I know of one original-paint 1970 Toronado GT in Kansas,...
Funny you should say that. The only car that I ever saw in Nugget Gold was a Toronado in Dodge City Kansas about 40 years ago. I talked to the guy a little but I don't think he was local to Dodge. He said the color was a special order that cost $75 extra.

What are the odds that this is the same car you're thinking about?
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Oldsdruid

Probably pretty good. The guy bought the car new and it has always been based in KS, though it has also been driven all over the US.

Nugget was a Toronado-exclusive color in 1969 and it was expanded to BOP-Chev in 1970 albeit under a different code (as in 1969 code 53 is a light metallic blue ).

Eric, thanks for your insight on paint. I had wondered if OP was trying to duplicate it in base/clear which I knew would turn out off shade. I still think his best bet is to find the original paint supplier's formula (R-M or DuPont back then) and go with that.
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate all of your experiences and agree with all of you. I am very picky and want everything I do to be as close to perfect as possible. I used the PPG RapidMatch X-5 Spectrophotometer to take photos of all of the areas and sent those to PPG for analysis. PPG has come back with a few original formulas from back in the day and a few modern formulas. I want to use lacquer but I have tried color spray outs in everything currently offered to see what comes closest. I am not a big fan of DuPont and have been using PPG for over 25 years as I have a very good paint distributor that goes over and above the call of duty to make sure I get what I need to do the best job possible. I will contact the local DuPont distributor and see what they can offer. This car is being restored using as many factory correct techniques as possible. The frame is done as originally delivered with asphalt coating and the frame stencil I discovered during tear down and careful hand cleaning of the beautiful rust and pit free frame. I will post again as soon as I get some info from DuPont. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I am located in Fort Lauderdale.
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Oldsdruid

Nothing wrong with PPG/Ditzler, they make a good product, and you would think tinting colors would be the same thruout the industry same as they are in artist color standards. Unfortunately, proprietary formulae being what they are, they're not.

Good luck. Nugget is a striking color and downright loud if you want the truth, but it fits the cars and the era. And again unfortunately is not the easiest color to match or spray. I always felt like it was because of the intense chromium green tinting color used in it.

That may also be why it's coming out off shade compared to an original sample. Seems I read a few years back chromium green and chromium yellow pigments were on an EPA hit list.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM

I called the DuPont rep today and he will see what he can do. I will be taking this car to the Oldsmobile Nationals this year, it has to be right. I will keep everyone updated on the progress with the Nugget Gold.
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Registered Luser

Sounds good...I do have to say, Nugget is an awesome color! Instead of talking about it, we would love to see pics of your car! Any stage it is in would be appreciated
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Registered Luser

[QUOTE=TwilightBlue455;361065]I called the DuPont rep today and he will see what he can do....QUOTE]

Is he a dupont rep or a tech for the local distributor? If he works for dupont, let me know who he is!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:58 PM

I use sherwin products. have them do a match as close as possible and they refer to the color library to get a close modern equivilant. If you like this shade of it I'm sure I have the info still. I usually don't mind if its a hair off when doing a complete.moreolds010.jpgmoreolds002.jpg
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:00 PM

This was an original -- paint code car. the build sheet proved it was a nugget gold version among other wierd options ie:ram air set-up etc
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM

$0.02 worth; my '70 W30 was re-painted the original Nugget Gold by the Portland, OR training center in '76 (dad was the Zone Service Mgr). Wasn't thrilled with the color at the time, but it's grown on me. Approx. 35 years later, and the paint still looks fine. No checking in the clear coat, except a bit on the white vinyl top (they cleared it to keep it easier to clean). I know they used Ditzler lacquer on mine. In '80, I had Dunham Olds, of Eugene, OR, do a bit of touch-up work to repair gravel chips in front of the rear wheel openings; no problems at all matching. Good luck with your resto.