Orange Peel Hell

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Orange Peel Hell

Good Morning All, need some advice from you painting pro's out there.

Just starting in on my '70 Cutlass Vert, and it's got a terrible primer coat on it from a previous owner. Very rough, bumpy, looks like they sprayed it with way too low pressure. Once you get past that, the adhesion looks pretty good. Blocking this mess is nearly impossible, wondering if using a sander w/ 80 grit to knock the top down, then some high-fill primer to fill in for blocking? I really don't want to strip it clear down, but I don't want problems later on either. Any advice??
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by agreen316
I really don't want to strip it clear down, but I don't want problems later on either.
I think you've answered your question.

Only you can decide where you want to land on the spectrum between "Quick" and "Right."

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Showing a picture would help. But if it has primer on the whole car and body work has been done. Block it out with 180 and a long block (durablock), shaped blocks where needed (stylesticks) Guide coat it before hand then start blocking the guide coat will be just a mist of black satin paint or flat black that when you sand it will show sand scratches left over from filler work like 36 or 80 grit scratche and it will reveal low spots, You will bust through high spots first and those will be easy to see. most primers are applied thick right after body work since they will be blocked down and re primered again the last application of primer is the one that counts. I primed and blocked my car 3 times before I was happy . I also think they may have used a polyester primer kind of like feather fill or slick sand etc. Which is very hard to sand . You don't wat to hit it with the d.a sander as that may creat and uneven finish.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 20th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'll keep blocking and see where it goes..