67 Cutlass wheel well trim, What's it Worth?

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:20 PM

67 Cutlass wheel well trim, What's it Worth?

I'm looking for a nice (or repairable) driver's side rear wheel well trim for a base/sport Cutlass NOT the Supreme style that connects to the body side molding. I drove my car to the GoodGuys show a couple of weeks ago and it got hit while parked in a restaurant parking lot by some boob in a Mazda Protege. His insurance company wants to pay $45 for this trim piece. I payed more than that to have it shipped to me when I bought it. I have about $350 in the passenger rear with ding repair, polishing, original purchase price and shipping. Does anyone have a nice left rear trim thay would like to sell? Or a value for one they have recently sold? It took me a year and half to find that right rear, apparently more people destroy that side by backing into stuff. Can any of you 67 gurus tell me if the 4 door rear wheel well trim will fit the 2 door? Thanks for your help.
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by texxas
Can any of you 67 gurus tell me if the 4 door rear wheel well trim will fit the 2 door? Thanks for your help.
The 2 & 4 door Wheel Well Trim are the same as long as the 2 & 4 door models are the same..........
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM

I wouldn't hardly sell the screws to attach it for $45-----tell them you don't care what they pay for it if THEY can find it----otherwise pay you whatever it costs a body shop to find it and put it on
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:40 PM
"me somebody" site member

How bad is it? I had a REALLY buggered up molding straightened and polished for something like $60 by a guy name George Lucas (GGL Metal Polishing in Jackson, NJ). It came out perfect:

http://www.gtlmetalpolishing.com/

http://www.gtlmetalpolishing.com/portfolio/

I say you present the bill for 2-way shipping to him plus his restoration fee (or someone just as good if you can find him) to the insurance company. If you were parked when the idjit hit you, not sure how they can wiggle out of your documented costs.
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I found another piece today. It's in okay shape. No dings but somebody used a grinder to get it off a car at some point in the past and really gouged it around a few of the mounting holes. It was cheap at $15 and I'll use it temporarily until I can get my original repaired. I'm going to attempt to get the insurance company to pay the repair and shipping both ways to GTL and back. I've straightened some stainless before but this one is just a little too tweaked and twisted for me to feel comfortable about getting a good finished result.
The insurance company sent me to a local collision repair place where their rep has an office. He estimated my damage and then one of the guys from the body shop said they wouldn't even work on a car as old as mine. Late model collision repair is ALL that they do. Then he suggested I go talk to the local upholstery shop because they work on alot of "old cars" and see who they recommend. Since the shop doesn't work on older cars I really hold the estimate suspect. Why would they send me to a shop that won't work on my car for an estimate? I know because their rep is there, they send everyone there! I had to tell the guy the trim is stainless after he said , "What is that, chrome?" My car is twice as old as he was. Nothing about the whole experience felt right. I'm not out to make a killing, just be treated fairly and get my trim replaced with a similar condition piece. Thanks for the advice.
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Smile Trim Repair

I met the folks from Concourse Trim at the Dallas Autorama in February and saw their work displayed. They seemed like straight up guys and looked to do good work at a fair price. I am going to give them some of my wheel opening moldings to redo for my 67 442. Plus, they are local.

Concourse Trim
Stainless & Aluminum Trim Restored
6113 Ten Mile Bridge Road
Ft. Worth, Texas 76135
817-829-9654
www.classicstainlessshop.com
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM

I saw a 67 Cutlass with the wheel opening that you are looking for on a 4 door sedan last week at
CTC Autoranch
Sanger Texas
800-482-6199
Old April 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the local trim repair. I'll check it out. I've not had any good experiences with CTC. Usually, rude treatment AND high prices. Been there 3 times and bad all 3 times. I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll give them a call and see what happens.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 67442HT
I saw a 67 Cutlass with the wheel opening that you are looking for on a 4 door sedan last week at
CTC Autoranch
Sanger Texas
800-482-6199
You must have been dyslexic when looking at that 67 F-85 4 door. The right rear is perfect, the left rear (the one I need) is dented and torn. I was treated nicely and everyone was pleasant and friendly at CTC on this trip and they didn't even charge me the $5 entrance fee. I will actually go back. I'm glad to see things have changed there. The prices they quoted me weren't stupid high either.
Still looking for a nice driver's side rear wheel well trim for a base Cutlass or F-85... anybody?