Dash lighting 1971 442

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Dash lighting 1971 442

I am installing the courtsey lighting option harness. This includes the head light switch and the ash tray light socket. The part I need to locate is called according to the illustration catalog is "light housing" that directs light from behind to illuminate the switch location. Tuff one. Also, what holds the light for the ash tray area?
Hope everyone is enjoying the weather. Actually worked in the garage tonight with the door opened. That's something for Kentucky in January.
Once any help gang will be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HEADLIGHT SW.jpg (115.8 KB, 67 views)
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM

They show diagrams in the chassis service manual. Not sure if those sockets are available repro but I will look in my junk pile and see if I have any.
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM

I have those parts. The light for the ash tray is similiar to the one for the headlight. It is riveted from the factory onto the plastic part of the dash on the right side of the ashtray housing.
Give me a call & I'll get you what you need.
It was 60 & sunny here in Indy today, I'll take this kind of winter weather forever!!!!
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Thanks Scott, will call you tomorrow AM. Guess your weather same as here. Wonderful isn't it. Well pay!
AL
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

I've got the sockets, they were onht eharness.It's the housing that is required I'm trying to locate. Thanks!
AL
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:25 PM

here are a couple pictures for reference on your install.

100_5650.jpg?t=1325906532

100_5655.jpg?t=1325906574
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Wow! Thank you so much! Thanks for taking the time to send those, Bot does that help. Scott says he has some and now I can see wat he was saying. You know if the rest of the people in thiscountry were just halfs as helpfull, friendly and as thoughtful as all the guys that have helped me this last year we'd be in great shape. Also got to gice credit to the ClassicOlds site as well.
Al
Lexington,KY
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM

The headlamp switch housing is a PITA to get in there working in the car under the dash, but i got it after awhile. Yes, the great people on this forum are very helpful. I got a dash light harness from Scott, oldspackrat, and it was a great experience dealing with him. Thanks to the info on this site my 72 restoration has gone very well.
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Hey Shimmer, I'm doing the exact same thing, at the same time, and on the same model as you! Go figure. I have the dash out of my 71 442 and have located an NOS courtesy light harness. Scott, if you're reading I also need the ashtray and light switch lamp housings - do you have anymore?
Would you also have:

glove box switch to work the light

clean, preferably an ashtray with the original paint intact

headlight switch escutheon/bezel without any pits. part number 405446 on back
Thanks Brian
Attached Images
P1023816-1.jpg (59.4 KB, 52 views)
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Great looking dash!
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:26 AM

Al & Brian,
I will dig those parts out & get pictures & prices for you today or tomorrow at the latest.
Thanks.
Scott
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks, Scott. While you're looking would you have any of those little screws that hold the headlight retaining rings on. The heads are usually chewed out getting them loose. I need 4 of them. Finally I need the upper control cable for the drivers side fresh air vent on a non-aired car. It has a "z" end rather than a loop. Pictures attached. I'm trying to limit my requested to little items for shipping purposes.
Attached Images
PB032059.jpg (56.0 KB, 16 views)
P1063860.jpg (45.6 KB, 22 views)
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

PITA dash

To install the lighting as fate would have it I the dash out-doing a full restoration, And what a job it is.
AL
Attached Images
DASH 1-12.jpg (136.4 KB, 41 views)
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
To install the lighting as fate would have it I the dash out-doing a full restoration, And what a job it is.
AL
Hi Al,
Just found this thread. What great timing. I have to pull my dash to install the same harness and lighting you are doing now. Sorry if the info I gave you didn't help. When I see these photos though, the info in the Assembly Manual was right. However, I thought all the cars came with the housings in case the optional harness got installed later in the build.

So I had to go look at my car. I can only access the ashtray area right now, but it appears I also am missing those housings. So I'll need to get in touch with Eric or Scott to order them too. Now for the 30cent question. (mostly cause I don't want to go out to the shed and start sifting through stuff right now) - I bought the accessory harness as an NOS part. Will it have the missing housings to install? Crap! That means I have to go find out. When it warms up.....
EDIT: Well I just read rocketbrians post - it apparently is not in the harness package.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Got my harness from M&H. Your right the parts we need don't come with them. I think I still have a link on removing the dash with pictures and everything. It was on here. Couldn't have done it (without breaking something) if I hadn't seen it. Let me know if you need.
AL
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks Al, I think I'm OK now. I do have a copy of the assembly manual which helps as well as the sevice manual.
Good luck with your installation.
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Brian- if you need to Email me for anything just us my home address:
Resimprove@aol.com

Save a lot of time! Stay warm. we got 33 right now
Old January 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Alright,
Here are some pictures of the housings you guys want. I might have a couple more of each kind if anyone needs them. Check them out & maybe give me a call & let me know exactly what parts you need & we'll get the address & prices figured out. I've got other parts also.
Thanks.
Paypal info- scottawinn@sbcglobal.net or cash, check, or money order to:
Scott Winn
2428 Tulip Drive South
Indianapolis, In. 46227
c. 317-727-7041
http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/a...ile%20Uploads/
Old January 8th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

PM sent
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM

PM sent
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm, I had one all along....

Funny thing about collecting parts over the years. I usually take pics of them and store them for use as needed. Well whattaya know? I actually have the housing that is used for the ashtray light. Here's a really good shot that shows how it's attached and where it goes
Attached Images
IMG_1892.jpg (71.3 KB, 39 views)
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Funny thing about collecting parts over the years. I usually take pics of them and store them for use as needed. Well whattaya know? I actually have the housing that is used for the ashtray light. Here's a really good shot that shows how it's attached and where it goes
Oh now you tell meAnyhow got one from Scott along with the headlight housing. Think he has about everything..so far. At least I know now how to attach.
AL
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I also received my light housings and glove box switch from Scott and installed my NOS wiring harness. All tested out great. I reriveted the ashtray light housing. Dash looks cool with the three extra floodlights and map light. Now to send off the map light mirror to get resilvered. Small stuff but still enjoyable to make progress.
Attached Images
P1163943.jpg (44.8 KB, 32 views)
P1243968.jpg (51.3 KB, 33 views)
P1243969.jpg (71.0 KB, 33 views)
P1243971.jpg (53.9 KB, 38 views)
P1243972.jpg (57.9 KB, 34 views)
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
Oh now you tell meAnyhow got one from Scott along with the headlight housing. Think he has about everything..so far. At least I know now how to attach.
AL
Was organizing some photos yesterday and found it. No worries, I'll have a spare

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
I also received my light housings and glove box switch from Scott and installed my NOS wiring harness. All tested out great. I reriveted the ashtray light housing. Dash looks cool with the three extra floodlights and map light. Now to send off the map light mirror to get resilvered. Small stuff but still enjoyable to make progress.
I guess mine just take longer to get here because they have to cross the border. Should be here in a few days. Thankyou for the great shots on your install. Saved them to my picture albums. So, did you hook up a 12V source to test everything before you put the dash back in?
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:06 PM

I hooked 12V to both the existing circuit to test the glove box light and 12V to both power wires in the accessory circuit to test the floodlights, map light, and headlamp and ashtray lights. All fine. The dash won't be going in for a long time as I'm doing a body off resto. I'm restoring different parts and sections of the car as I can, then box them away for that glorious day down the road. Not to be too hard on ya Allan, but Nova Scotia is also across the border. Ha!
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not to be too hard on ya Allan, but Nova Scotia is also across the border. Ha!
Sheesh! Just checked your avatar....sorry 'bout dat. Ya, but it takes longer to get to AB than it does to NS. No worries, I'm not in a rush.

Glad your wiring works like it's supposed to. When you took out the dash, did you also find the grey wire that should be there for the optional rearview mirror maplight? Putting one of those in too, and looking at the AM, I'm going to have to take out the A pillar covers and the front windlace to run the wiring.
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:17 PM

In all cars, the factory gives you a power lead for the clock, a lead for the clock lights, an orange power wire for the glove box light and wires for the trunk and underhood lights. The map light mirror is supplied with the plug-in accessory wiring harness and it is orange. It is indicated in my first picture I sent today. In the picture it is laying next to the two ivory floodlight sockets and has a black terminal end. Hope this helps before you go looking for it.
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

In all cars, the factory gives you a power lead for the clock, a lead for the clock lights, an orange power wire for the glove box light and wires for the trunk and underhood lights. The map light mirror is supplied with the plug-in accessory wiring harness and it is orange. It is indicated in my first picture I sent today. In the picture it is laying next to the two ivory floodlight sockets and has a black terminal end. Hope this helps before you go looking for it.
Yes it does. thx So the accessory harness plugs into the main harness to provide power to all the extras...I should have looked that up in the AM, but you already know the answer and it's probably faster than looking through that hodge podge without an index
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Well I guess we all survived this one. So..what's next?
Thanks for all the pictures and help!
AL