(fabled?) "Engine Assembly Manual"

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2015, 01:36 PM

Question (fabled?) "Engine Assembly Manual"

I am not sure where to begin... I have been on this forum for a few years now, and every so often I see mentioned an "Engine Assembly Manual" for various years/models. This sounds like it would be an awesome asset for my technical library. However, I have never been able to find a document that is specifically an "engine assembly manual." Now, general "Assembly Manuals" and "Service Manuals" I have seen and own.

I have a 1968 442 with the original 400 block. I also have a 1968 Toro 455 on a stand in the garage. I would like to find "engine assembly manuals" for both of them. I have searched high and low for the elusive "engine assembly manuals" for each of these engines, to no avail. All my searches - google, amazon, WAC, a few auto-oriented publishers, etc. - come back with the "assembly" and "service" manuals. I am even a paid member of the Library at Wild About cars, and I have not been able to find the missing documents there.

If these "engine assembly manuals" really exist, can someone provide me with the ISBN catalogue numbers or some source where I can obtain the manuals for these two years/engines?

It would be GREATLY appreciated!

Rich
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:03 PM

I'm no expert, but, I've never heard of an "Engine Assembly Manual".
I think the closest you'll come to a manual specific to your '68 engines is the 1968 Oldsmobile "Chassis Service Manual".
It will probably have the most detailed info you'll find for your specific engines
as well as the rest of your '68 car(s).
If you want performance, as well as stock, engine information, you might want to get
the "Wild About Cars Engine Modification and Tuning Guide" for Oldsmobile engines by Bob Gerometta.
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:38 PM

Manuals

They are out there my friends.

Brett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0732.JPG (2.54 MB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0733.JPG (1.89 MB, 81 views)
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Shoveling Snow

I have the engine dress part of the Product Information Manual which could also be called "the engine assembly manual"
for 1969 and 1970 A-bodys.
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The Engine chapter of some Assembly Manuals has been described or sold separately as the "Engine Assembly Manual."

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

If what you are looking for is the info needed to properly rebuild or reassembly an engine, you really want Chapter 6 of the correct year Chassis Service Manual. The Engine Assembly Manual is a compiled set of the engineering drawings used by the factory and as noted is partly reproduced in the engine chapter of the assembly manual (aka, Product Information Manual). That info is what you want for a factory-correct restoration to get all the wiring and plumbing routed correctly. It really won't help with a rebuild, however.
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Csm

Thanks all for your input guys. I have the Chassis Service Manual, and Chapter Six is loaded with info. That chapter appears to be about 100 pages, or so, with several subsections on each of the models and carburetors.

If I'm understanding the feedback correctly, it would seem that some of the info from CSM Chapter Six is compiled separately into another document that may be what Brett/Paladin31 posted pics of. Or maybe what Brett has is completely different.

Joe, I'm looking to add to my library any and all info that is published. I'm geeky that way .

Three questions, Brett: 1) Are those pics of a 1968 specific manual, or section? 2) By any chance is there an ISBN Catalog number on those documents? and 3) Do you have any words of wisdom on how to find copies?
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
... it would seem that some of the info from CSM Chapter Six is compiled separately into another document that may be what Brett/Paladin31 posted pics of. Or maybe what Brett has is completely different.
Not the CSM, the Assembly Manual (or Product Information Manual).

... is there an ISBN Catalog number on those documents?
Nope. They were never "published" per se.

Do you have any words of wisdom on how to find copies?
Yes. You can download digital copies of this, the CSM, the FBM, and a number of other things from the Auto History Preservation Society for free, after a roughly $25 subscription fee.
You can also purchase paper copies from eBay, but paper copies of the AM will all be photocopied reprints.

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Rodney

'71 Engine Assembly Manual

Rich:
I have a pdf copy of a 1971 Engine Assembly Manual that I downloaded from the web (though I don't remember where). It's attached below.

Rodney

Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1971_Engine_Assembly_Manual.pdf (2.34 MB, 112 views)
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cdrod
Rich:
I have a pdf copy of a 1971 Engine Assembly Manual that I downloaded from the web (though I don't remember where). It's attached below.

Rodney
Very cool! Thanks for posting that.

Those who remember the great oil pan discussion from a week or so ago should scroll to page 16 of that document, where it clearly shows that both the SBO and BBO pans hold FOUR quarts.
Old September 12th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... Also note that that "manual" is comprised of pages with interrupted and non-sequential numbers, indicating that is not an actual, unified manual.

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Rodney

'70 Engine Assembly Manual

After posting the '71 Engine manual, I decided to clean up some of the Oldsmobile files I have saved to my laptop. I discovered that I have a 1970 engine manual too.

Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by cdrod; September 12th, 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old September 12th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Rodney

'68-69 Super Tuning Guide

And here's a super-tuning guide for '68-'69 W-machines.

Attached Images
Attached Files
Old September 14th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Sharing of PDF's

Thanks so much for uploading and sharing your documents, gents; it is much appreciated! I will add these to my collection.

Rich