Slim Jim Dead or alive

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Slim Jim Dead or alive

Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Southern Ontario area with a roto-hydramatic or Slim Jim transmission that they want to part with?
An engineer friend of mine has an obsession with automatic transmissions and when I told him about the roto - hydramatic in my 64 Starfire he started to drool. He want to get his hands on one so he can take it apart and see how it works.
So if anyone has one kicking around that might otherwise find its way into the scrapyard, please let me know.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Rene
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Oldsdruid

Tell him to learn how it works and then start a rebuilding service. Then find him a Dynaflow and have him do the same thing. It could be a lucrative side business...

The SJ is really not all that difficult to understand, it's just works on some different principles. I think the Accel-a-Rotor in the fluid coupling and the coupling dump/fill cycles are what throw people off and make them afraid of them. Other than that it works much like a TorqueFlite or PowerGlide with its TV rod.

For that matter 200-4R and 700R4 work off that principle too.

The things should (and could) have been built a little stouter, but that's GM cost-cutting for you. Build it to the bare minimum and hope it gets out of warranty before it breaks...

I have a buddy here who is bugging me to find him one to play with. He did a cast iron PowerGlide for a 57 Chevy a couple years ago and it whetted his appetite. He's also the kind who wants to prove to himself he can understand and fix something.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Hi!

Check out this link- it's on CO!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-slim-jim.html

The guy might be willing to part w/ it!

Ralph