Edelbrock Heads Update?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2022, 06:01 PM

The small block version was needed long ago as well.
Old June 21st, 2022, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
To be honest it’s attitudes like that that kept this from happening before now. Did Trovato take the time to do this? No. Bernard? No. Dick Miller? No. Even that crook Lynn didn’t do it.
So I guess I’m different than most. I look at it another way. Yes I’ve had first info but you had a major aftermarket manufacturer willing to take on this project, when spun the right way. Bottom line is at the end of the day the Olds community will now have a way better, off the shelf cyl head that will be readily available very soon, no matter how it came about.
When was the last time anything like that ever happened, if ever?
I wouldn't listen to 1/3 the crap you have.
Old June 21st, 2022, 06:52 PM

That’s what started my conversation with them 5 years ago.
Yes they’re shipping. They cast enough to fill the first round of back orders. They’re scheduled to be run again early next month.
Well I am glad they may be out for those that want them, but with what I see happening internationally and financially the time might be up already, for sales of much of anything. And the next 6 months looks to be absolutely terrible. But maybe I am wrong.
Old June 21st, 2022, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
Well I am glad they may be out for those that want them, but with what I see happening internationally and financially the time might be up already, for sales of much of anything. And the next 6 months looks to be absolutely terrible. But maybe I am wrong.
Your not wrong.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 01:42 AM

Their delay sold a lot of Chinese heads.

I never said having new heads available was bad. After all the hype, it's all very anticlimactic. I agree with Firewalker.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 02:24 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Delete

Last edited by skyhigh; June 22nd, 2022 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Thought it was better just to delete my comment
Old June 22nd, 2022, 05:06 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by olds403
The small block version was needed long ago as well.
Absolutely, waiting patiently. It is nice to see Edelbrock meet this timeline. Ironically with all the parts shortages it isn't any harder to build an Olds V8 than the belly button motors as they are also short of key parts.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Their delay sold a lot of Chinese heads.

I never said having new heads available was bad. After all the hype, it's all very anticlimactic. I agree with Firewalker.
They did. But the Chinese stuff was going to sell anyway cuz of the price and closeness of design to the former Edelbrock heads.
BUT, this new head is significantly better than anything before it. If someone wants a better product, they’re more inclined to wait for it.
Lastly, the amount of back orders was encouraging. Maybe these will spawn new builds. You never know.

Last edited by cutlassefi; June 22nd, 2022 at 05:15 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 05:12 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

To be honest it’s attitudes like that that kept this from happening before now. Did Trovato take the time to do this? No. Bernard? No. Dick Miller? No. Even that crook Lynn didn’t do it.
So I guess I’m different than most. I look at it another way. Yes I’ve had first info but you had a major aftermarket manufacturer willing to take on this project, when spun the right way. Bottom line is at the end of the day the Olds community will now have a way better, off the shelf cyl head that will be readily available very soon, no matter how it came about.
When was the last time anything like that ever happened, if ever?
The major delays I had were much more the machine shop than you and life in general. These heads definitely look like they are worth the wait, especially for us SBO guys👍.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 06:08 AM

Let's see some 600+hp pump gas builds!
Old June 22nd, 2022, 07:36 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Thank you Mark for all you have done for the Olds community! No need to bash one another, especially within this small section of motoring madness. There are many routes available to arrive at our destination. Let us all enjoy our hobby, for some our livelihood, and help each other as we are able!
Old June 22nd, 2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 67OAI
Thank you Mark for all you have done for the Olds community! No need to bash one another, especially within this small section of motoring madness. There are many routes available to arrive at our destination. Let us all enjoy our hobby, for some our livelihood, and help each other as we are able!
x2
Old June 22nd, 2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 67OAI
x15

Old June 22nd, 2022, 09:46 AM

Thank you gentlemen.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 10:28 AM

I agree, it's fantastic to see a company totally revamp a product like this when they could have just kept flogging the previous unimproved design successfully. Big thanks to people like Mark for helping them "get it right" and pushing the program. I'm glad I decided to wait...not sure when I'll see my heads yet, but they should show up with all the other parts that have a bunch of lead time anyhow so maybe I'll have my new engine right around Christmas :-D

News of them starting to ship has been really helpful remotivating me to get the rest of the work done on the car!
Old June 23rd, 2022, 08:38 AM

It will be interesting to hear once someone bolts them up to an engine and runs them. Will most people run them out of the box or rework them?

Any idea what kind of valve material they are using and what spring manufacturer they are using?
Old June 23rd, 2022, 09:11 AM

BMRE got a pallet of them.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 09:22 AM

I sure hope they are a vast improvement out of the box vs. worked over irons . I can’t wait to hear some numbers 👍
Old June 23rd, 2022, 10:01 AM

Congrats to Mark and all those involved in bring the new head to market.
I'm surprised that so many want to run a mechanical fuel pump on a performance engine. From a appearance view point not a fan of the head notch.
RobbMac will be selling more fuel pumps with these heads now on the market.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
I sure hope they are a vast improvement out of the box vs. worked over irons . I can’t wait to hear some numbers 👍
37hp over big valve, 45* E’s. I’ll see if I can find the Dyno sheets.
And I know I’m going to get blown up for this but I’m going to say it anyway. What has Bernard Mondello, Bill Trovato, Dick Miller, Andy Miller, and Rocket Racing brought to the Oldsmobile community that you DON’T have to buy from them? Anybody want to take a stab at the answer?
And for record, outside of Edelbrock I’m told I was the only one involved in the project. Sad, as others had the opportunity, but true.

Last edited by cutlassefi; June 23rd, 2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 10:54 AM

Not that I'm in the market for them anymore, but I am getting emails that JEGS has them "in stock".
Old June 23rd, 2022, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I'm surprised that so many want to run a mechanical fuel pump on a performance engine. From a appearance view point not a fan of the head notch.
yep, it’s an odd thing to want this much better serious head on a small block and then run a mechanical pump that there is only one choice ….especially when back then there was zero choices for a non stock pump.

Great way to heat the fuel up before feeding the carb..

Old June 23rd, 2022, 12:00 PM

I got to be a fan of running both a mechanical pump along with an electric back by the gas tank 50 plus years ago. You could use both, like if you were getting serious, or just use the mechanical one. If the mechanical one failed, which did happen to me, then you could just throw the switch and run off the electric. And could go get a new mechanical and install it.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
yep, it’s an odd thing to want this much better serious head on a small block and then run a mechanical pump that there is only one choice ….especially when back then there was zero choices for a non stock pump.

Great way to heat the fuel up before feeding the carb..
Dale, the way I got the conversation started on these was that they had nothing for the 125,000 TA’s with OLDS engines in them. And that there were two main stumbling blocks regarding that, chamber size on the existing head, and the fact that you had to change to an electric pump no matter what.
So in a backwards kind of way, that scallop got us a couple of new cyl heads!!!
Old June 23rd, 2022, 03:16 PM

Dale, the way I got the conversation started on these was that they had nothing for the 125,000 TA’s with OLDS engines in them. And that there were two main stumbling blocks regarding that, chamber size on the existing head, and the fact that you had to change to an electric pump no matter what.
So in a backwards kind of way, that scallop got us a couple of new cyl heads!!!

yep, that makes sense back then. But now the T/A crowd has a better option as a bolt on..the small chamber head. Which will take care of that big dish piston and super low comp..but, it’s not cut out for a mechanical pump, right?

but the other head is…which most likely won’t work as good because in my opinion it’s ports won’t make enough air speed for those low rpm engines and the gears they come with

I’ll be doing a 403 for a T/A this fall . If he will budget in a new set of heads, it will be the small chamber ones . With an electric pump…not because they heads aren’t cut for a mech pump, but because I want cool fuel , circulating in a return , at the carb. The old days of noisy electric pumps are long over with.

it’s got 2.56’s. I don’t think it will ever RPM over 4500.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; June 23rd, 2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 03:26 PM

Oh , forgot to ask..When will the Small chamber heads be available and will they be available bare?
Old June 23rd, 2022, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
Oh , forgot to ask..When will the Small chamber heads be available and will they be available bare?
Probably fall. I’ve asked for bare heads to be available in both styles, haven’t heard back on that yet though.
Small block heads have the scallop as well. Again that’s what started the conversation/project.
Old June 24th, 2022, 01:52 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Robbmc fuel pump info right from there page:
  • Will clear Rocket Racing Heads
  • Will NOT clear Edelbrock heads
  • Will not clear passenger side A/C or alternator on Small Block engines.
Im sure the new heads it will since it scalloped, but wont help with bracket issues.

Last edited by skyhigh; June 24th, 2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old June 24th, 2022, 03:50 PM

37hp over big valve, 45* E’s. I’ll see if I can find the Dyno sheets.
And I know I’m going to get blown up for this but I’m going to say it anyway. What has Bernard Mondello, Bill Trovato, Dick Miller, Andy Miller, and Rocket Racing brought to the Oldsmobile community that you DON’T have to buy from them? Anybody want to take a stab at the answer?
And for record, outside of Edelbrock I’m told I was the only one involved in the project. Sad, as others had the opportunity, but true.
When I asked Rick about your involvement in this project he chuckled.....................?
Old June 24th, 2022, 04:42 PM

Seems like NDA to me. We write some really restrictive ones. I am sure someone knows….at this point more Olds parts.
Nice heads regardless. Too late for me.
Old June 24th, 2022, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
When I asked Rick about your involvement in this project he chuckled.....................?
What did Rick say about your involvement?
Old June 24th, 2022, 05:46 PM

All I know is I am still waiting for this promised head, and its been a LOOONG time.

Old June 25th, 2022, 05:15 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
What did Rick say about your involvement?
Good question.
Old June 26th, 2022, 03:21 AM

Edelbrock contacted Vortecpro first. So Mark gave them the new design but could not follow through due to his involvement and agreement with Musk on a new Jet Propulsion project.
Old June 26th, 2022, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by rickw30
Edelbrock contacted Velcro first. So Mark gave them the new design but could not follow through due to his involvement and agreement with Musk on a new Jet Propulsion project.
Well that’s a relief. I thought he couldn’t do it because he was busy giving financial advice to Warren Buffet.

Last edited by cutlassefi; June 26th, 2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old June 26th, 2022, 05:03 AM

That would be up to Vortecpro. But if he does, they'll probably have to kill him.

😂..... This site is so much fun !
Old June 26th, 2022, 05:08 AM

Vortecpro Who??
Old June 26th, 2022, 05:18 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

well that’s a relief. I thought he couldn’t do it because he was busy giving financial advice to warren buffet.
🤣🤣🤣
Old June 26th, 2022, 05:24 AM

Well that’s a relief. I thought he couldn’t do it because he was busy giving financial advice to Warren Buffet.
​​​​​​
What happened to your original response ?
The one asking for his NDA.
Old June 26th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by rickw30
Edelbrock contacted Vortecpro first. So Mark gave them the new design but could not follow through due to his involvement and agreement with Musk on a new Jet Propulsion project.
Your (Cutassefi) original response was..
" Bull...t, show me an NDA and I'll retract my original statement".
What are you thinking?
Come on "DUDE" ! Think about it....

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Heads Update?