AN fuel line

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2024, 07:56 AM
Gary

AN fuel line

I recently invested into buying the new Edlebrock heads and the Edlebrock 2151 intake. I also purchased the Quick Fuel 750 carburetor at Mark's suggestion. I am going to be using the braided fuel hose which I am not that happy using but anyway I bought this an fitting from Summitt Vibrant Performance 26902 Vibrant Performance Hose End Fittings | Summit Racing. which will not fit into my fuel pump because the threads are different. My fuel pump threads are 3/8 flare threads and this fitting end I received is 3/8 for pipe threads. I have been on the phone with Summitt trying to explain to them that because the threads are different and that part they sent me is not going to work because it wont screw into the fuel pump, and they dont have a solution for me. Any idea what I need to make this work? I am really thinking about sending the carburetor back to them.

Gary
Old January 2nd, 2024, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Braided AN hose is still rubber hose. I've had the rubber go bad and fuel spray out through the braid. If you're committed to AN hose, then get an inverted flare-to-NPT adapter. Earl's Supply is one vendor.

https://www.holley.com/brands/earls/...nverted_flare/

If your AN hose end has the male NPT built in, then you will be stuck with a brass adapter. The combination of male inverted flare and female NPT will be difficult to find.

Old January 2nd, 2024, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Do they not make AN to inverted flare adapters? Which fuel pump are you using?
Old January 2nd, 2024, 10:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

If the AN line is not assembled yet, get rid of that NPT end fitting you have. Get a normal right angle hose end. Then get an AN-to-inverted flare adapter, which is easy to find.

This goes on the hose:

This goes in the pump:

Alternately, which pump do you have? Some Olds fuel pumps have NPT on the outlet port and an NPT-to Inverted Flare elbow. Remove that and the fitting you have should work.

Old January 2nd, 2024, 10:57 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If the AN line is not assembled yet, get rid of that NPT end fitting you have. Get a normal right angle hose end. Then get an AN-to-inverted flare adapter, which is easy to find.

This goes on the hose:

This goes in the pump:

Alternately, which pump do you have? Some Olds fuel pumps have NPT on the outlet port and an NPT-to Inverted Flare elbow. Remove that and the fitting you have should work.

Joe,
This is the fuel pump I have. I am not married to having using the braided hose but this is what they sold me. I would prefer to have a steel line but Summitt said they did not have one. I have not assembled the hose so whatever I order I want to get it from Earls.
This is the fuel line to the carburetor they sold me. Summit Racing SUM-220106 Summit Racing™ Dual Feed Fuel Lines | Summit Racing

This is the carburetor Quick Fuel SS-750 Quick Fuel SS-Series Carburetors | Summit Racing

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; January 2nd, 2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2024, 11:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Personally I would have plumbed the whole thing with aluminum hard line and AN fittings, but I make up all my own hard lines. As I said above, get rid of that NPT 90 deg fitting, and frankly I don't think you want a 90 at the pump anyway. The male inverted flare-to-AN is common, and then just get a straight hose end with a female AN fitting. Done.
Old January 2nd, 2024, 11:46 AM
Gary

Thanks
Old January 2nd, 2024, 07:00 PM

You can get braided line with a PTFE inner liner. No rubber to dry out or deteriorate, plus it's smaller in OD than the rubber-based stuff.

I use it on all my EFI builds.
Old January 2nd, 2024, 07:36 PM
Gary

Thank you sir
Old January 3rd, 2024, 11:07 AM

I think you have all the information you really need on this topic but I'll add one more comment. Since every aftermarket pump-to-carb line I've ever purchased has been wrong, I've ended up having stainless lines made that match my originals. Inline Tube will do it but I prefer Classic Tube in NY. They've always been great to work with. I use a coat hanger to bend up a "line" with the bends I want and the correct start/end points. Send that to them and tell them what plumbing connections you want on the ends. They'll make whatever you want. I've done several like this and get very nice quality stainless lines that have always fit like a glove.
An added benefit is you can add other things however you want. On my last build ('69 400G), I actually had them make the line in two pieces and I placed an Earl's pressure valve in the center. I dictated material, size, connections and it worked perfectly. Just make sure the template you supply is what you want. Also, it's cheap! I've never paid more than $40 for one of their 'custom' stainless lines. If you go with mild steel it's even cheaper.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
You can get braided line with a PTFE inner liner. No rubber to dry out or deteriorate, plus it's smaller in OD than the rubber-based stuff.

I use it on all my EFI builds.
Ive used this line recently for both trans and fuel lines along with AN adaptors/fittings. Earls fittings would be the best brand name to use but I used Evil Energy off Amazon as pricing was a lot better and with the low pressures of mechanical fuel pump etc I didnt see the risk. This is an example "kit" they have but you can get just the line, fittings etc. and I prefer the newer all black look over the blue/red combos that remind me of the 90s hot rod builds with all grey tweed interiors haha

Amazon Amazon
Old January 3rd, 2024, 07:14 PM

t personally use Goodridge. One thing to keep in mind is you should use the black Teflon, not the clear/white type for fuel.
The black is carbon impregnated for conductivity/static dissipation, as recommended when using the line with flammable liquids.
Old January 4th, 2024, 08:12 AM

I thought you werent supposed to use teflon tape or sealant on AN style fittings since they are not a taper fit and seal on the ends?
Old January 4th, 2024, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jake707
I thought you werent supposed to use teflon tape or sealant on AN style fittings since they are not a taper fit and seal on the ends?
AN fittings use a 37 degree flare for sealing. No other sealer is needed or desired.
Old January 4th, 2024, 09:51 AM

Ok, but wait….

No one here addressed the potential elephant in the room.

Feeding what sounds to be a 450-500hp engine with a stock fuel pump will be marginal, at best, and likely not sufficient under higher G’s and sustained higher rpm’s, even with the additional fuel capacity of the Holley carb fuel bowls.

Here is a good mechanical pump:

https://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/olds550.html

they also make a higher HP version

These pumps work with the new notched Edelbrock heads and they have 3/8 NPT AND 1/2 NPT female threads, so you may want a different fitting there also.

Is your 3rd line on your stock pump a vapor only or is it actually a return line to the tank?

Last edited by Battenrunner; January 4th, 2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old January 4th, 2024, 06:34 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Battenrunner
Ok, but wait….

No one here addressed the potential elephant in the room.

Feeding what sounds to be a 450-500hp engine with a stock fuel pump will be marginal, at best, and likely not sufficient under higher G’s and sustained higher rpm’s, even with the additional fuel capacity of the Holley carb fuel bowls.

Here is a good mechanical pump:I received the correct fittings from Summit.Earls brand and I have already got it on

https://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/olds550.html

they also make a higher HP version

These pumps work with the new notched Edelbrock heads and they have 3/8 NPT AND 1/2 NPT female threads, so you may want a different fitting there also.

Is your 3rd line on your stock pump a vapor only or is it actually a return line to the tank?
Mine is a return line to the tank
Old January 4th, 2024, 07:04 PM

Perfect.

I would personally run that ROBBMC pump and a bypass style fuel regulator and return the excess fuel bypassed into your return line.